AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a ~55" RPTV/HDTV and was leaning towards the Mits 55907, which from the board comments, looks solid. Someone I repsect referred me to the new Sony's, which I figure are also good, and similar.

A new guy I met, don't know as well, likes the Hitachi, and said the Hitachi has more guns (beams) than the other, and that more is better. I told I wasn't sure it was quite that simple, but I guess it's possible.

It can't be that simple, can it?

Thanks,

·
Registered
830 Posts
Of the three sets you are considering, I like the Mitsubishi the best.

In that size, I'd also consider the Pioneer Elite Pro-510HD.

A bit more expensive, but worth it.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,643 Posts
All CRT based HDTV's (or HDTV Monitors) have three "guns", or cathode ray tubes, red, green & blue, for the three primary colors.

What might be referenced is that some sets have larger CRT's. Specifically, most HDTV's have 7" diagonal tube faces, but there are some 9" sets out there, Zenith, Mitsubishi, Samsung & Phillips come to mind. Remember that all of these brands have both size CRT HDTV sets on the market.

Without getting into a lot of detail, it is safe to say the 9" sets are usually better for HDTV, due to two things: 1) The 9" tube can reproduce more image resolution, and 2) They are brighter.

The kicker is that they are much more expensive. So, like always, you pays your money and you takes your chances.

It also might be referenced that some sets have more lens elements than others. This is less clear than the tube issue as to value, but in general, more lens elements mean better focus and perhaps color accuracy. I have found other criteria (video amp bandwidth, screen performance) to be as important as lens design in consumer HDTV performance. At the point where you are looking at a group of 7" CRT based HDTV's, no one single feature will make that much difference. You need to get your eyes educated by a lot of real world experience and let them tell you what looks best. Easy, no. But you will benefit from this in the end.

------------------

"better living thru modern expensive electronics"

tm

·
Registered
136 Posts
Hello Bob,

Go with mits. You will enjoy it. I saw the Sony xbr57" rptv hd. Side by side with the mits and panasonic and toshiba, and pioneer with the same hidef show. For some reason the Sony had a cloudy picture on it. According to the store manager all there Hdtv's were fine tuned and calibrated by a profesional. And out of curiosity I went to atleast 10 other retail stores that carried the same hdtv's. And all the Sony xbr57' had the same cloudy picture. I almost bought the Pioneer elite but the price was tremendous $6000.

So I auditioned the Mits plat plus and diamond series and Pioneer elite. And decided to go with the Mits platinum plus.

------------------

PeterDz

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.