AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting closer to buying a 36" digital tube set. Think I've narrowed it down to the Hitachi and Panasonic. (Sony won't fit in the cabinet where it's going, because of the speakers on the side.) Went to look at both the other day, and both seem to have very nice pictures (to my eye, anyway).

Seems to me the Panasonic's plusses are the flat screen (can't decide if that matters much to me, since it'll be in a small room), and two component inputs versus one on the Hitachi. I can see the extra input being useful, when it comes to hooking up both a DVD and an HDTV receiver.

Are there any other things to consider between the two, besides price (Panny is a few hundred more, but that's not a huge issue)? Has anyone else compared these two and found compelling reasons for one over the other?

I'm not interested in a larger, projection set. I may waver in the end and go for a 34" 16:9 set instead, but that's another topic entirely.

Thanks for any comments.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I was considering both the Panasonic and Hitachi 36" 4:3 tubes for a while as well, but ultimately went with a widescreen 34" (Toshiba 34HF81). If I had gone the 4:3 route, I would have chosen the new Toshiba 36HFX71 (also available with scaled down internal speakers as the 36HF71).

You might consider these Toshiba models, since they:

1. are not as wide as the Sonys

2. have very good (improved for this year) internal doubling (IDSC II with 3:2 pulldown); IMO better than the Tau's

3. have more lines of horizontal resolution (than the Panny anyway, not sure about the Hitachi)

4. give the option of two 16:9 material display modes (1080i and 810i); the Hitachi only does 810i, the Tau only 1080i

5. have two HD component inputs (like the Panny)

6. have some unique new convenience features (e.g., two-level mute, front panel lockout)

7. SVM can be eliminated or reduced via Movie Mode setting (Hitachi can disable SVM via menu, but not the Panny).

These are new flat tubes for Toshiba (made in the USA), so you'd want to check any set for geometric distortions out of the box. There is a tilt correction within the set's user menu, but anything else (i.e., bowing) would have to be adjusted by a service technician. The Tau's I saw had pretty bad geometry problems.

Toshiba 36HF71

Toshiba 36HFX71 manual

·
Registered
437 Posts
haven't read it yet, but SGHT's new issue has a review of the 36" Panny. you might want to check it out.

hope this helps.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the Toshiba info. I'll have a look at that one too. It's wider than the Hitachi or Panny, but should fit where it needs to go... with about 1/8 inch to spare.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.