AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some really great info on here - I appreciate all of your posts. Went into this decision sold on DLP but now am considering the 60VS or the 60VX. Been to a couple of CC's, Tweeter, Best Buys etc. around town and seem to notice different PQ in the Hitachi sets (and all others for that matter) I've seen. Also noticed that the Sony and Panasonic sets actually had good PQ at one of the CC's.

Any comments about the competition compared to the Hitahci sets...e.g. I've noted all the GF, SDE and SSE discussion (once I figured out what the acronyms meant) and it makes me reluctant to pull the trigger on the Hitachi.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
We are kinda in the same boat. I have narrowed it down to the Hitachi 50vx. I want a tv that has a black case, and has a great picture, and does everything including good sd tv. I hope others chime in. I do like the pic of the hitachi best so far-except for glare on the vs810.

The only one besides hitachi still in the running is the mitsubish 52 825.

The mitsubishi might be out of my price comfort level, we will see when it comes out. I am not sure how mitsubishi does on regular standard tv viewing compared to the hitachi, I think the hitachi wins in that area, but we will see.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm sure you've visited the Hitachi 810 owners thread and have a good idea at what we are saying about our sets. I think you statement about Hitachi vs. the world is right on. For some reason, perhaps since the set is fairly new that it isn't getting a lot of respect. I've heard a lot about the mits but as far as what is out right now, there is no rptv out now that is better then the Hitachi 810/915. All those DLP posers hate us lcd"ers" and our supposed bad black levels but this TV sticks it to them. Sure the set could be better but it's the best we got. I wouldn't wait any longer, buy this tv and you'll love it.

HD channels kill on this tv, when i first got the tv all i had was the SD channels and i was surprised at how good they actually were. Now that i've been watching DVD's and tons of HD programing it's hard to go back to SD, that's how good the HD's programs look on this tv. But first impression are usually right. I have the 60" and the SSE, SDE...blah,blah isn't bad at all. I'm even sitting 8.5 feet away and see very little effects.

Another cool thing about this tv is just how it looks when it's off. Thats the first thing people say when they see it for the first time is how sexy/sleek it is. All black to me just looks better then the cheap silver look everything is now.

My advice is get this TV, by the time you get it delivered the mit's will be out in the next month so if it blows your mind just return the Hitachi, although i doubt that will happen!

I'd be more then happy to answer specifics about this TV, i'm it's biggest cheerleader.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the response - what about the glare issue on these sets? Is the 915 supposed to be significantly better than the 810. I was in a different CC yesterday and definitely noticed the glare of the 810 over some of the other sets. I'm certain the lighting couldn't be worse to accentuate that condition there, but it was concerning. Not that I want to spend the extra $$, but does the 915 address the glare situation any better??

Also, I'm definitely an HD novice, but what advantage does the built in HD tuner give you. Is it simply the access to over the air local HD?? and what do you have to have in addition to the tuner.

Thanks Stratman - What kind of strat do you have?? I've got a Calif myself.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I just stumbled across this thread and thought I'd chime in. I've had my 50vx500 for 6+ months now and could not be happier. One of the big selling points of these sets is they got tweakability out the whazoo, which also means a calibration DVD is a must (I use avia). I feed mine with an HD-Tivo via the DVI port and it does a great job with both 720p and 1080i. I have at least one SD channel of poor quality so I also run an s-vid connection into video 3 and let the 1080p "virtual HD" upscaler gizmo "fix" the poor feed. When I flip between vid 1 and vid 3 on the poor channel I can really see the upscaler in action -- there's big magic in that processor.

IMHO, if you're going to be watching in a well lit room the extra coin on the darker contrast screen is worth it. I like to watch in a dimly lit room but the wife unit cranks the lighting way up -- no glare here.

I didn't choose a unit with an integrated HD tuner because I knew that I'd let D* provide a tuner (in the tivo), so why spend $ on something I'll never use? The HD tivo picks up OTA HD so there's no problem feeding HD to my vx.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I too bought the 60vs, and I too was amazed at how good analog cable looks.

the only thing negative I can say is you do need some drapes cause the screen does cause some glare.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.