Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone

I have the 57" xwx tv and I find the picture to be too soft .. I have placed with avia to set the sharpness and all but still not acceptable .. I have not done any other tweaks like the red push and all ..kinda novice at that so I don't know if I want to mess with it.. hd picture looks ok but I think could be sharper, I don't expect from analog cable but digital cable should be sharper..

so what can I do .. I still got 6 days for my 30 day return policy ..

thank you

Zee

·
Registered
542 Posts
Have you done a manual convergence, or relied solely on "Magic Focus"? I found that the manual convergence procedure was much more effective at sharpening things up than relying on the autoconvergence.

--

- Jeff

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have only done the magic focus .. will bravely attempt the manual focus over the weekend and see if that helps .. also could the little ghosting I see on digital channels be a problem of this focus thing ..

also I read on one of the posts something about grayscale adjustments .. is that something I need professional isf to do or like a service call to circuit city guys .. ??

thanks

Zee

·
Registered
542 Posts
Don't know about the ghosting; could be convergence. Clear that up first and see what you get . . .

The manual convergence is very easy to do, it's just tedious. If you screw it up, you can always opt not to save the changes.

From what I've read, adjusting gray scale properly is something you need expensive test equipment to do. However, you can still accomplish a lot in improving your set's performance with AVIA or Video Essentials. And one thing that keeps coming up with the Hitachis is the need to deal with red push; I haven't adjusted mine yet, but hear that it makes a significant improvement.

--

- Jeff

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
Mfusick-

I believe that the answer to that is relatively easy. If someone spends THAT much $$$ on a product (yea, everything is "relative"), but especially because it is more that a SWX that has pretty decent P.Q., then they want to be IMPRESSED...no... VERY IMPRESSED.

Buy a set of "gold-tipped"/titanium...whatever...golf clubs...and they'd better feel a LOT better that the 10 year-old Wilson set you've owned...and you'd better play A LOT better with the expensive set. I think that is the point!;)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got the xwx because of the anti-glare screen mainly .. my room has plenty of light .. don't get me wrong .. I do like the set but I don't know if I can get used the softness of picture .. I don't know if this is the best there is or other rptv in the same price range are better ..?? today I am gonna attempt the manual convergence ..and see what happens ..

Zee

·
Registered
504 Posts
This is the first post I've noticed stating the Hitachi picture was "soft". I've had one since September and had some issues with it that have been resolve. But Hitachi struck me as having the sharpest picture of all the sets in it's class. What were you using before the XWX? If you have only owned direct view tube sets then I might understand but for a RPTV the Hitachi's are very detailed IMHO.

Ken

·
Registered
748 Posts
When I had my SWX ISF'd, the static focus adjustment he made was very noticable. Prior to that I was occasionally turning on SVM because I felt the picture was too blurry (or soft, however you want to describe it). I've had no urge to turn SVM back on since the calibration was done.

This is a manual adjustment done inside the set by the way. Not something for the lighthearted to attempt.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I wouldnt have done it either except it was so easy, I couldn't resist!

At least on my 57TWX:

Remove cloth grill

Remove 6 screws for acess cover (mine only had 5 screws) seems they missed one.

Adjust the lower 3 trimpots (focus)

Reassemble

Done!

I love this Hatachi!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Just a comment on your "ghosting issue" - it may be the source you are viewing. UPN and WB in my area does a very poor job of SDTV and the shows are frequently blurry and hard to watch. ABC and FOX do a very good job and the picture is usually crisp and clean. HDTV is of course simply awesome. After watching Florida vs Maryland in HDTV I couldn't even watch the Kentucky game which made me feel like I was wearing coke bottle glasses....

GO GATORS!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Too Soft! There's no way in hell that the picture on my 57TWX20B is soft. Had a friend come over Friday and he said it also looked very detailed.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by John Styrnol
Too Soft! There's no way in hell that the picture on my 57TWX20B is soft.
If the focus is out of adjustment it certainly can look soft. As could any other crt rptv.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
My 57SWX20B seems to have this problem. There is a noticable lack of detail on DVD viewing. It almost looks as if there are 3 or 4 layers overlaying each other that make up an image, and they aren't quite in register. It is not a convergence issue. I've done the manual Magic Focus a couple of times and the grid looks good. I've also done the color adjustment in the service menu to reduce red push and calibrated the set with Avia.

Today for no apparent reason it started displaying what I would describe as "pastel" colors. Very unnatural. It's almost like looking at an impressionist painting. DVDs with good transfers like ATOC, LOTR, etc., just look horrible. The set looked better than this when I first turned it on (about 30 hours on it so far), but has always had the blurred detail issue. I was wondering if it had something to do with the 540P upconversion. At any rate, there is definitely something not right with my set. It's going back (joy!), but now I'm not so sure I want to try another Hitachi or jump ship and go with Mits, Sony or Toshiba. I'm none too happy about the situation.

·
Registered
44 Posts
i have to keep the sharpness setting really high to avoid the PQ being blurred. sometimes i have to use SVM. i notice that the equivalent of the SVM being on is turning the sharpness to about 70-something. should i be adjusting the focus trimpots? i have already fixed the red push problem and convergence is fine.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I have the 65 inch and haven't experienced that. You must seriously consider that most of the other units look so bad in analog that you have one of the best overall units. I would prefer to talk on the phone. One of the ways that it will do that is if you have the brightness to high, it actually makes it less bright in the correct areas. Setting temp to standard is better than high. I never use the Movie mode because it atttempts to 3/2 pull down and double and neither is necessary for HD and on DVD I already have it so it makes a double attempt. I had the Mitsubishi Diamond and Elite in my house and the Diamond had the best overall HD picture bar none, but both of those sets were horrible on analog and neither would do a digital split picture, and I am a sports freak so I bought on overall great and this is it. Also remember that this TV has a .52 pitch and most broadcasts are below standard right now and as they get better, the lower pitch will make the difference. You may just like false bright over true and that is cool, but the 57 is a flawless TV. If you get this email list email and I will give you a number to try and help you. I wouldn't judge any HD set off how it works on regular or digital cable as they both bite to a dish and I still judge mine off of HD and not analog. If you are already complaining, and the other top 2 sets are so much worse in cable/sattlelite, then you will be so upset. I tried all 3 in my house and you have bought the right TV, but your analog should be on a dish for sure as remember fine pitch means worse broadcast, more noise, not the TV, it is cable. HD also looks much better off HD cable on locals than off off air antenna. HD also looks better on HD movie channels on cable than locals. I wonder if you are trying to compare off air on your TV to HD net at dealer when the HD net has much higher bandwidth. Another thing that really helps colors is a Monster M1000 component and if you really want to show the TV some love give it a 500 dollar Purist Audio component and you will chit a brick how much better it gets. I think you should tell the dealer you are still trying to make it work and need another week or you have to return it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
dpippel

When you say pastel, are you seeing a salmon in the reds and a soft blue?? My 57SWX20B has been doing that on and off.

I have another set coming tomorrow. Sears has no idea on how to adjust this beast, and just decided to give me a new one!!!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Make sure the "noise reduction" option is not checked.

·
Registered
972 Posts
As I have stated in other threads, my 65XWX is what I consider "soft" as well. I have almost convinced myself, however, that it is because I have come from a 32" direct view. It is getting better every day.

My other "problems":

Red push - mostly "fixed" with the SM red push tweaks...who knows if it's truly correct.

Electric neon greens - HD, digital, analog, dvd, doesn't matter. Grass is unnatural looking. Sometimes people with blond hair that leans toward yellow come across as slightly green. The more I watch, the more I see a lean toward green in the blacks. My wife even noticed and mentioned yesterday.

I think high expectation because of cost theory is right on. Overall I'm very happy and will not even think about getting rid of my XWX. I will probably start with a service call and will end up with an ISF cal eventually.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.