Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 529 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

OK, this time a question about "Red Push" on the XWX.

With the default settings, red push was severe. After toying around with Avaya things are much better.

Still, I notice that the level of Red Push is MUCH higher when using the HDTV tuner than with the NTSC tuner. When using the HDTV tuner I need to bring color saturation down to about 18%. With NTSC it needs to be at about 34% which is a bit high for DVD but not by too much.

Is this normal? Should the level of "red push" remain more or less consistent regardless of source?

I have heard that an advantage of the Hitachi is that red push can be adjusted. Is this something which mere mortals can do or does it require ISF calibration and tools?

Thanks,

·
Banned
29,681 Posts
You can do it.

It's inside the service menu.

There are seperate color decoder controls and parameters for 480P, 1080i and 480i.

That's why your 1080i has more than the others probably.... Hitachi must have dialed it up so it can look blue next to the others running the 1080i demo signals in stores.

Consider and ISF tech to fix it... if you want it done right.

Here is a great link that talks about it from Sound and Vision Magazine:
http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/art...&page_number=1

Here is a good link about calibration

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/art...&page_number=1

Here is a good link about calibration above

Here's a link to the ISF
http://www.imagingscience.com

http://www.imagingscience.com/i/new_isf2.gif

They can fix your picture and make it much better.

If you want to try it yourself, let me know and I'll help you:D

Now,

--------------------------

For anyone in Western Ma or New England.

BobL does very good work.

He calibrated my Hitachi twice, and He and his partner Rich are great guys too.

He is ISF trained, and has all the equiptment.

You can hit him from the ISF website, or PM him here at AVS:
Here is the link to PM him :D

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Certainly a more intelligent answer than the Hitachi rep I spoke to earlier. His explanation was that since HDTV is a much stronger signal that the colors will tend to be more exaggertaed and the only work around is to change the user settings when you switch modes. I suppose they will say anything to avoid a potential service call.

How did I get into the service menus? Do I want to know how to get into the service menus.

Once in the menus, what is involved in minimally mucking about to decrease the level of red push on particular input?

At some point I may indeed consider ISF calibration. Right now I still need to decide if I will keep it. Maybe it is just me, but if red push is a known issue with theses sets why aren't they properly calibrated before they leave the factory. One could even argue that if ISF calibration is required to get a decent picture then it should be part of the purchase price. But alas, I digress.

Thanks.

·
Banned
29,681 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Srgtfury
Amph,

Take a look at this http://63.218.43.67/keohihdtv/brands...rvicemenu.html

Please take a look at my other post on the Hitachi codes before you do anything, though...Thank you very much

Fury
This has nothing to do with RED PUSH or even the service menu.

This is the seperate Geometry menu....unrelated.

The real Service Menu can be entered by pressing "input + Power" at the same time upon turn on of the set with the power button on the front.

I usually time it just right...hitting Input a split second before I hit power and holding it breifly.

That will get him into the service menu.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I have a 51SWX20B. Would these service menu values be the same as with the 57SWX20B? I would like to try it.

I want to get the set calibrated, but the local ISF guy want $500 to do it. seems a little pricey.

Thanks

·
Registered
692 Posts
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the clarification and link to that thread on HT Forum. Looks like the Hitachiu's can be red push corrected for the different source material.

Any idea why there is a tendency to red push certain sources by manufacturers? Seems like blue would be more likely-seen plenty like that. The Red is just so unnatural and obvious-so as to tine the black screen crimson even...

Thank you very much

fury

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

Red Push is implemented as a response to very blue grayscales which sell TV's.

Blue grayscales make flesh tones pale out ...

Red push restores the flesh tones ...

Like lies to cover up lies.

End result ... blue grayscale ... everything looks wrong, but red push it and only people look right. Sell TV set.

Regards

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Mike,

I will carefully read through all of the material and give it a shot before the weekend is out. Based on other posts, it sounds like it will be evident in the menus in terms of which input I am adjusting for. I will start with the crappy built in HDTV tuner since that is where the reds are most extreme.

Thanks Again. If only Hitachi service were half as knowledgeable and helpful!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hello Again,

Have not pulled up the svc menus yet but am just now reading through all of the info.

I suppose I expected that there would be a setting for each color CRT, with unique settings for the various input modes. Instead, I see that there are 4 parameters (RY, R/B, GY, and G/B).

Mostly just to improve my understanding of the world, what do these abbreviations stand for and what do they each represents (red, green, blue and ???)

Thanks Again.

·
Registered
622 Posts
The guys name is Jim Dolittle. He is the Boston area. In talking with him, he told me he has never done a Hitachi sets before but his friend just came back from the factory training and he said he would give him all the tools necessary to do it.

But in reading the boards, it looks like you should be able to get it done for $250 to $300

Not sure what to do

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

For a basic ISF oil change variety calibration ... the SRP is $275 for an RPTV.

Oil change ... not full tune up service. Full tune up service has always been between $400 to $600 depending on the calibrator and what the client wants done.

No one of any consequence performs tune up service at the oil change price point.

Just make sure if you opt for full tune up service that you get it ... some like to say they offer the full meal deal, but only deliver oil change service ... for the full meal deal pricing.

Sometimes ... one actually ends up paying more for similar servicing because they want one of the people with the best reputations to work on their sets.

Regards

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

The R's are for red and the g's are for green.

If using filters ... red filter stuff and green filter stuff. It becomes self evident once you start to change things.

Regards

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OK, I admit I am proceeding with extreme caution with the service menus.

I did get ino the top level XWX menus by pushing Slect-Power. This shows me a list of things like

Service

SUb Bright

White Balane

G Drive (High) 3B

R Drive (High) 2C

R CUtoff (High) 7F

G Cutoff (High) 7F

B CUtoff (High) 76

H Position 3F

V Position 3F

Fact Reste

There is also a seperate ISF Adjust Mode and some other menus.

Where do I navigate from here? I did not see the list of settings descirbed?

I did call an ISF today. They said that for approx $300 they adjust convergence and white levels, etc. I asked if they address red push. He said, no but if there are some settings we could see, we like to do only minimal essential tweaks.

Thanks.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes, I am inclined to attempt things myself at least initially.

Any idea on the navigation of menus to get to the RY, GB, etc listing?

I did play around and get to things like RY-PHG these are generally set to 00. I guess I am not totally clear yet on which specific settings to muck with.

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 529 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.