AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well we have been living with the Hitachi CMP5000 (which is a rebadged pioneer 503 cmx) and I enjoy it more today than when we installed it almost 2 months ago.

I came back to post on a phenomonem I read on a review of the 503 cmx I read elsewhere and I have observed to be very true. This TV is incredibly sensitive to its source material. As the source material improves, its flaws disapear.

The biggest complaaint I read about this TV was about its video or background noise problem. Most negative reviews on this TV, be they on forums or by pros all noted this problem to some extent. One reviewer however noticed what I have discovered. As the source material and signal improves, the video noise disapears.

The problem was most acute on a cable analog signal with someone wearing a bright zebra green striped suit. The green stripes created a very annoying video noise. But switch to a decent digital cable picture (which seems to vary with my sucky cable provider Charter randomly...sometimes it comes close to rivalling DVD, other days its awful) and the problem is barely perceptible. On progressive scan DVDs, the picture is crystal clear. If I ever receive an HD signal I bet its WOW.

For those of you comparing this TV side by side in a store with a Panny or other TV, I would be very hesitant to base it on that observation. Indeed, I noticed when viewing two Pioneer Elites (same TV as 503/5000) side by side with Panasonics at two different Ultimate Electronics Stores here in St. Louis this phenomenom. In one store, the Panasonic was clearly superior in all respects. In the other, the Pioneer won.

I am convinced that the Pioneer/Hitachi has a greater upper limit. With great source material, its color and clarity and depth is the most amazing picture I have ever seen. But watch out when watching poor analog signals.....

Finally, maybe its luck, but I would definitely go with the Hitachi over the Pioneer. This TV has no discernible buzz; after 2 months I have no pixel burn outs. It runs quiet and cool. I have read too many complaints about uneven quality with the cmx 503s. It seems like more than half of the people here have reported bad pixels out of the box or buzzing.

I'd like to believe that Hitachi is a little more sensitive to quality control or maybe its just luck as I say But given the savings, the extra year warranty (albeit not on site) and most of all the absolute perfect quality...everything works perfectly and this is still true 2 months out of the box, I can glowingly recommend this TV. This one of the few high tech things i have bought that works so well (now don't get me started on my new Sony laptop or my old Dell)....

a 10 really a perfect 10.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I don't think it's the quality of the source material that causes the buzzing but rather a simpler "type" of source material. Hence, the white screen test produces a much louder humming than an RGB one.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If my writing was inarticulate I did not mean to suggest that the buzzing or audio noise was affected by the source material. That is completely a function of the amount of color output , so a white screen casues the most buzz. And of course the amount of buzz seems to vary from unit to unit. My cmp5000 has almost no buzz except when you put ur ear to the rear (but that buzz increases as the color does)

These are two different terms.

The video "noise" ie background picture chatter does decrease as the source material improves.

Unfortunately the term for this is video noise, probably not the most accurate pjrase but one that I did not invent. These are different concepts.

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
It was stated to me some time ago on the forum that pixels don't burn out and what shape they are in when you get the plasma is what they stay at until maybe 30,000 hours or so.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hope you are right I take some comfort in that. But a salesperson at Ultimate Electronics (I think it might have been Best Buy, but pretty sure Ultimate) claimed otherwise. BUt this was also a salesman trying VERY HARD to convince me to buy an expensive voltage regulator (knowing I'd bought a plasma already). He claimed the manaufacturer's rep for either Panasonic or Pioneer (Sorry my memory is hazy on this conversation from 3 months ago or so) claimed that voltage drops would cause pixel burn out....Since I didnt buy and am only using a noise filter and surge protector, I hope he wasn't right!

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
OEMs claim 20,000 to 30,000 hrs to Half-Brightness. They also claim that Pixel Sectors/Panels will/could fail if Pixels are going to die, not just a Pixel or two. You should check your "Black Levels" with AVIA/VE about every 1000 to 1500 hrs. for peace of mind (just a recommendation).

Dave

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
Has anyone had a pixel sector or panel fail on them?Its a terrifying concept to think that after warranty is over you face this kind of plasma failure.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.