AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They are selling for the exact same price now where I live.

I am not an audiophile, mostly I'm looking for:

- swiching/upconverting from component to HDMI with no degradation

- real pass-through (signal un-touched); basically I don't need upscaling but I got it with the other features and I want to get rid of it

- good OSD display for HDMI

- some sort of dynamic volume

- easy to set-up

- few problems

·
Registered
94 Posts
If you want few problems, stay away from HK and go with either Yamaha or Denon.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Seems many Yamaha recievers don't pass "untouched". (Not sure about that exact model) My vote is Denon.

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
I have owned Denon before. I bought HK 247 and later 745. The HK sound is much better than the Denon 2803 I had. Much better!!

·
Registered
2,089 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bommai /forum/post/14281944

I have owned Denon before. I bought HK 247 and later 745. The HK sound is much better than the Denon 2803 I had. Much better!!

H/K would have been my vote, but he said "few problems". H/K has been ugly these last couple years.

·
Banned
3,741 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamos /forum/post/14280902

If you want few problems, stay away from HK and go with either Yamaha or Denon.

LOL - check Yamaha's response to their BTB/WTW clipping... forget untouched signal, period. At least H/K promised the new firmware during the Summer.

·
Banned
3,741 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklac /forum/post/14283242

H/K would have been my vote, but he said "few problems". H/K has been ugly these last couple years.

True but so were some others. OTOH Denon will be the only one with dynamic leveling so it's not even a question which one he wants to get IMO - he doesn't want scaler and Denons come with the ****tiest scalers of the industry so it's a match made in heaven for him.

Th only question remains: will the Denon indeed pass-through the picture untouched?

·
Registered
8,015 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arm2000 /forum/post/14278722

They are selling for the exact same price now where I live.

I am not an audiophile, mostly I'm looking for:

- swiching/upconverting from component to HDMI with no degradation

- real pass-through (signal un-touched); basically I don't need upscaling but I got it with the other features and I want to get rid of it

- good OSD display for HDMI

- some sort of dynamic volume

- easy to set-up

- few problems

Ah, the HK 254 is pretty good... OSD is among the best out of the bunch, sound quality is better in my opinion owning both Denon and Yamaha before, plus you get a extra bonus if you want to hook up external Amps down the road for more power. Hell I think all the newer receivers are very good, the problem is "Few Problems" well we are talking HDMI handshake issues and most if not all have that problem!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Harmen Karden makes a very nice AVR, a Few Problems yep they all have hdmi handshake

problems. I know some more then others. My vote is for the hk 254.

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
I have the Denon 988, and it has been problem free so far.

It has pre-amp outs to use it as a Pre/Pro if you want to add an amp later.

In the Dual Format section, there is an LG BH200 thread discussing that player having an issue with DD+ Tracks exhibiting a "Helicopter" noise when bitstreaming to alot of AVRS, but my 988 does not exhibit that behavior with the BH200.

·
Registered
639 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by T2k /forum/post/14283270

At least H/K promised the new firmware during the Summer.

We're nearly into August already...when do you really think they'll have something out there? I was on the fence between the 254 and 1909 until I read about the PS3 issues HKs were having. I liked the fact that the 254 has pre-outs; though I've never used external amps I'd like to have the option down the road. Since I'm waiting on my MFW-15 to arrive I can hold out a little longer, but I just got this PS3 and am itching for some HD audio and room correction!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Reading the posts, I've noticed that folks are very pleased with the SQ of the HK 254. However, it's quite evident that there has been problems with the HDMI handshake. Does this problem still occur, and is it only evident when using the PS3, or has the lastest firmware update fixed all the issues?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts