AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the cheap prices on the 354 I am considering upgrading from my 347. I could do so for very little cost and the extra 20W per channel makes it very tempting. Has anybody actually compared these two in terms of sound quality? I know hk does their measurements differently which is why I dont want to go through the trouble if I am just making a lateral move, especially since their weights are near identical.

I am also considering the onkyo 805. Would it be a worthwhile upgrade over the 347/354?

I am running a pair of DIY BAMTM mains (quite capable and am considering upgrading in the future), DIY center (CJD design from htguide), smaller surrounds, and an IB with a pair of 18's. Dedicated amp is not an option so my receiver needs to be able to handle its own.

· Registered
487 Posts
I would imagine an Onkyo 805 would be a step up from an HK 354. Disclaimer: I own an Onkyo TX-SR805.

The amp section on the Onkyo has better specs - lower distortion, higher S/N ratio (110 to 100)and Burr Brown D/A converters instead of Cirrus Logic. I image it has more amp power but that's tough to tell because of the way HK rates their amps compared to everyone else.

The Onkyo has Audyssey MultiEQ XT 8 position room correction which has detailed filters and actually room corrects a sub - works great on my SVS 20-39 PCi.

They both have crappy Faroudja chips for video in them - although the Faroudja DCDi Cinema chip in the HK I believe is newer than what is in the 805. The 805 does 480i to 480p and that's about it.

805 is THX Ultra2 Certified

If you really need video processing, a refurbed 875 with a Reon chip is a killer deal - although more than the 805 obviously.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.