AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like everyone else I've been shopping for a new reciever, an upgrade to my 4 year old yammie. I demoed the 520 from CC and liked it very much.

I know see that a 325 and 520 can be had for @500.00 I have a small-medium sized L shaped room. utilizing space is very important in that room and I found that hooking up another amp to run 7.1 irritated me alittle. I guess the question is: is the 520 that much higher in quality that it is worth the extra cost for additional amps? Would I lose out on a high degree of "quality" by going to the 325, having the 7.1 intigrated?

thanks for your input,

thechad

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
For most of the unit, the 520 and 325's quality is about the same.

The 520 produces more power per channel, 5x75, vs the 325's 7x50. Depending upon your speakers, your room, and your preferred volume level, this could make a difference. For many people in a small room, the 325 would suffice.

The 325 does offer more surround modes, notably DD EX. With each year there are more and more new features and so the new models have them and the old models don't.

If you think the 325's power is sufficient, then you are probably just as well off with it. If you use typical HT settings, like 80Hz crossovers, a powered sub, nothing fancy in the setup, then the 325 and 520 are likely to sound identical on DD 5.1 and DTS 5.1 movies. The 520 has a few extra setup features, like more flexible crossover settings - but most people will not use them.

Tom B.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RSGfromNYC
Can I ask where you saw the 325 for 500? The best I've been able to find is 550 from Costco (unauthorized).
costco shows $499 now

·
Registered
349 Posts
The 325/525 do not have main inputs. So, those high quality amplifiers will be unusable if you ever decide to purchase an external processor of any kind. The 320/520 did have a full set of main amp inputs.

Keep in mind that a doubling of power is only a modest difference in volume level. It takes about a factor of 10 in power to be a perceived doubling of volume. Comparing 75 watts to 50 watts is about a 1.8 dB increase, just a bit more than the 1dB increase that is considered the lowest audible difference in volume.

So, assuming the 520 doesn't also have significantly more dynamic headroom for musical peak handling, I doubt you would find very much difference in overall volume between the two in most typcial rooms.

That's also why you get a lot more bang for the buck with speaker efficiency if you really need to have high SPLs for a large room...

Good luck!

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Onecall had the HK 520 for $495 yesterday only shipped (an authorized seller)...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.