AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been discussed in other threads, but I've got to make a tough, final decision, and thought you guys could help out.

I've been given the opportunity to buy either the 525 or 7200 at an absolutely amazing price. There's still, however, $1000 CDN difference between the two.

Other than amplification power rating (70w vs 100w) and the LCD remote (don't need it, got a Marantz), is there any real difference that could justify spending another grand or so on the model up?

I don't -need- the 100w by any means, as I've been living fine with my AVR-65 for some time now. It's only slightly underpowered, having to crank to -10 on really low-mixed dvds (for SACD/DVD-A, for example, I never top -20db). I just don't want to sacrifice something that the 7200 might give me, a between-the-lines advantage that stats won't provide, but real world use will. Sintaro (sp?) and others have been helpful with detailing their experieces, I'm just wondering if you can help me out and make the final decision.

All discussions about Sony products, however, are strictly forbidden in this thread... :)

thanks, guys/gals, in advance - help me decide what toy to buy!!

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
shark

More power is ALWAYS a good idea, even if you think you don't need it. Your speaks will sound better with the extra headroom. Other than the power and no fan on the 7200, they seem close, but I understand the between-the-lines you're going for. Maby there's a bit more quality in the 7200 case or the fact that it's the new HK with improvments under the hood?

Specs don't always tell the story or the truth.

You might check in on my post in the next 2 days.

I'll be sharing my thoughts on a new 7200.

Eric

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
awesome...

every time I get one of these big purchases, I have in the back of my mind that this'll be the one for a long time. I'm trying to break that with this one - it'll last me several years, I know, but certainly there will be =something=, new speakers, new place, that I'll need to upgrade to. Thus, for now, I want a damn good amp, worthy of upgrading from the '65 for, with bass mng't for my dvd-a/sacd, 7.1 for the geek factor, and component switching.

To be honest, the $1000 plus tax difference ($1300 CDN) would be prohibitive, at least delaying the purchase for some time. I don't for a second dispute that the extra headroom would be -nice-, and advantageous, and would make me happy, etc. I could always, if need be, use the 525 as pre-amp, no? Or are the 7200 options for preamplification better? Still, the question is, for someone who's already pissing off the neighbours with my '65, is the 525 a worthy AVR purchase, or should I wait to get a 7200?

The fan is an issue, but I hope not a deal breaker. "Toroidal" sounds like a cool amp name. :)

Basically, I'd -love- the 7200, but realisitically should go for the 525. I just want assurances, as much as I can get (without you guys pulling punches - this isn't to cure buyers remorse, but honest attempt at getting the lowdown on the two AVRs).

thanks...

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Mark, get the AVR525, and with the money you save, get the H/K Signature 2.1 (5 X 100) amp at harmanaudio.com (specials/amp,preamp) for $688 and it is all the power you need for up to 5 of your speakers. That is a bargain price for a very nice amp. I used it myself several years back and you won't be disappointed IMO.

Dsmith

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hey Shark I got a refurbished AVR-525 from onecall and have been happy with it so far with the exception of poor FM reception. Guess I will have to get a better FM antenna. On music and movies I can only describe the sound as clean or smooth. The HK replaced a technics receiver that claimed 100 watts per channel but the HK seems every bit as loud and the sound much cleaner. I am using it in a fairly small room and it is plenty loud. I haven't noticed the fan coming on yet though I did make sure it had a few inches of space above it and some on the side for ventilation. Toroidal refers to the power supply in the 7200 they are supposed to be superior in reducing stray electrical interference from the power supply. If space or weight is a concern the AVR 525 weighs in at 44lbs versus 53lbs for the 7200. I almost got the 7200 just because I wanted the newest thing but now I am glad I got the 525. I can invest the money saved for new speakers. If you have a large room you might also consider the AVR 8000 in addition to the 7200.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
groovy, thanks. yeah, I know about the beastie that -is- the 7200. My original plan was to get one of the "cheap" 8000s as they're being dumped on the market - all my days this SW geek has wished for a THX cert'd avr. Thanks to this board, I rethought my options, and realized that there are features on the 7200 that I would use much more than, say, the advantages gained from the 8k (logic 7 over 5.1, THX ultra, etc.)

So, fully planning on saving for the next year for a 7200, I've been given a great opportunity to get a 525 right now. I'm now down even further a step, so to speak, but still think it's not a bad purchase. If money were no option, the 7200 would take the cake for me (sure, I could go all crazy and get other flagships, but, goddamn it, me loves the HK)

Still, if you guys can't see major sacrifices in sound/build/features quality, I'm thinking the 525 is the way to go. I can always buy next year's model... heh.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Don't worry about the fan in the 525... it was one of the things I was concerned about before purchase too.

I watch movies loud! And am now getting back into serious music listening too with my new audio system. The fan has never come on in normal operation. The unit does get warm/hot - so then I worried that the fan was broken. I put a t-shirt over the top vents, and when the unti was really really hot the fan came on for about 30 seconds. It's fairly quiet too.

Definately not a deal breaker.

The 525 is a good reciever in my opinion - yeah I would like a 7200, but right now it's not a big enough upgrade.

- Rick

·
Registered
54 Posts
Shark, what speakers are you driving..8 ohm..4 ohm..speaker sensitivity..room size..primariliy music or H/T..room acoustics??? I have the 320 and it is more than enough for my needs and I like my sound loud. I had it preamped out to a Rotel 1075 and decided to stick with just the 320. The 1075 was way more than I needed. Again there are a lot of factors that come into play when deciding on an amp. I have heard lesser powered amps outperform their bigger brothers because of smart speaker placement and some of the variables mentioned above.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
about 20'x20' LR, really terrible setup, but what can you do?

LR spills out into kitchen.

Speakers are self-built 3-way towers, running what I assume to be 8-ish Ohms (haven't run through a meter recently). I've got a paradigm center running off the HK, some 70s vintage 3 ways from JVC (!!) for rears, and two JBL bookshelf beside the center, running in dual mono from a luxman (I find the 3 speakers running the center chanel to be really pleasing for DVD-A/SACD mixes, let alone prologic)

As messy as all this sounds, it's actually tone matched pretty well, shockingly. I think 70w HCC will be more than enough for my use now, but, then again, you can never have too much, right? :)

Now, technical question for y'all - I'm obviously going 7.1. At the moment, I've got a nice setup (quad-like), with the FR and FL beside my TV/entertainment unit (which sits, don't gag, on top of my sub...), and my RL/RR behind me, in parallel with the Fronts. I used to have my JBL's on the back wall 'till I got the JVCs - the newer (full range) speakers are obviously too big to mount.

Now, with 7.1, I'll have to find a way of getting these speakers more -beside- the couch sweet spot, and find a way of getting the rears behind me. 6.1 would be easy - got lots of wall! heh

What kind of seperation is recommended (in distance) between the sides and rear? At the moment, there will only be a couple feet between the couch and the rears, let alone the sides. Should the rears be placed closer together than the Fronts are?

Finally, for SACD/DVD-A - should I be playing the 5.1 through the Sides, or Rears, for the most accurate 5.1 mix? For dvd 5.1 mixes, I assume it uses the Sides, with the rears in use only for 7.1 or EX/ES stuff.

Am I confusing everyone yet?

I know there are other threads that deal with this, but I haven't seen any explicit answers. Diagrams such as this ( http://au.playstation.com/assets/tec.../ssfcolumn.gif ) lead me to believe that all four "rear" speakers are in fact behind listening area, whereas this ( http://dolby.custhelp.com/rnt/rnw/im....1etcPlace.gif ) shows them as true side speakers.

My thought is to put two beside me slightly behind, aimed forward slightly, and two behind me, closer than the fronts are to one another. For SACD/DVD-A, I'd hook my rear signals to the two directly behind, rather than the sides.

Basically, I just don't get if the +2 speakers are the additional side speakers, or the additional rear!

I suck... heh.

just in case someone is as ignorant as I was, the two -sides- are the surround. I've set it up (thanks to my room) with my SR and SL speakers behind and to the side, with my SBL and SBR speakers close-ish together, directly behind me. Not ideal, perhaps, but works out pretty well...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.