AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered an HK AVR 525. I have a Sony SACD player that does bass management. The HK also does bass management on the analog inputs. I would like to use the HK for bass management on the analog inputs, rather than the SACD player. I don't see an option for disabling bass management on the SACD Player. Should I just configure all speakes on the SACD player as large, and then configure the HK bass management as appropriate?

Thanks for any advice,

Ed Lee

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Which model Sony do you have?

If it indeed does bass management, usually it can be disabled by setting the speaker types to "LARGE" as opposed to "SMALL". The "LARGE" setting in almost any application will send a full range signal to the indicated channel. "SMALL" will invoke bass management and crossover the lower frequencies to your LFE channel. Most SACD players don't do this, but if yours does, so much the better. You should probably experiment and see whether the Sony or the HK seems to be better at it.

·
Registered
12,260 Posts
As suggested U should try BOTH ways, the AVR 525 X-Over has many more options which will let U dial it in very close. I am using the AVR 7200 (big brother of 525) with the Panasonic RP 82 and it works very, very well. Some of the DVD-Audio releases sound incredible... :cool:

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Sevenfeet
Which model Sony do you have?

If it indeed does bass management, usually it can be disabled by setting the speaker types to "LARGE" as opposed to "SMALL".
SACD player is DVPNC650V

Should I specify subwoofer or no subwoofer?

Thanks for your help,

Ed Lee

·
Registered
Onkyo TX-NR5009, AppleTV 4K, Sony KDL-55W900A, M&K s-125 lcr, M&K SS-150 surround, SVS 16-46pci sub
785 Posts
I have a SCD-C222ES and on mine to disable bass management you select MCH Direct. It may be different on yours.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DblHelix,

Thanks for your reply. I can't seem to find a setting called MCH Direct. Can you tell me exactly where you find this option on your SCD-C222ES?

BTW, my player is Sony DVP-NC650V.

Thanks,

Ed Lee

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
wow, feel the love... I've got a DVP-NC650V as well, in addition to a RP-82 for DVD-A, pumped into what's at the moment a HK 525, to be replaced tomorrow with a HK AVR 7200.

on the Sony, simply set all speakers for "large", set your subwoofer to "on", and use the x-over on the HK unit. There's no bass mg't off-switch on the 650, but, then again, the bass mg't doesn't do a heck of a lot anyway. The HK is far, far better at getting you what you want. I'm finding for 2ch SACDs that setting the x-over to 100 or 120 give quite a bit more punch - even full range monster speakers like my mains can't get the low bass that my 12" velodyne can...

good luck, and enjoy the music!!! Best thing I can say about my move from my AVR-65 to the 525 is that my music simply sounds better, and I enjoy listening to things again that I haven't listened to in years. The crossover does a really nice job of helping you overcome the little quibbles you may have with your speaker setup, and simply dig into the love of the music. Now, if it wasn't for that damn fan... :)

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the helped. This seems to have worked perfectly.

Aside from the fact that my AVR 525 arrived slightly broken (vid 2, coax 2 will no detect digital signal as it's supposed to), I'm quite happy with it.

The AVR 125 was my first foray into home theater and my first serious audio system since the Adcom separates I owned about 10 years ago. I was getting some clipping when I really pushed the AVR 125 on certain music. Then I replaced my Polk speakers with some Magnepan's, and clearly needed more power (in fact, I hope to add an external amp for the front mains in the not-too-distant future).

After reading great reviews, I picked up a Denon 3802. Sound was OK, but it just never seemed as good as the H/K. I also didn't like the fact that, unlike the H/K, I could not set channel level individually for each input, I could not assign multiple sources to the same input, and I could not manage speaker settings for each input. That's when I decided to go with the AVR 525. Plus, it had the added benefit of bass management on the 5.1 inputs, which as you know, is pretty weak on the DVP-NC650V.

I've also been impressed with H/K support. I contact them via email about my problem. A technician helped me troubleshoot and then determined it was defective. The reseller that I purchased from had did not have one in stock to replace it with, so the H/K technician issued me an RMA number directly through H/K. I'll be sending it back for replacement this week. Compare this to Denon... I email them a tech support question once, and never received any response.

Anyway, thanks again for your help,

Ed Lee

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.