AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a HK 435 to try out. So far so good...but I was wondering about any tips or tricks with the EZ EQ thing? I ran it with the automatic setting and it set my mains and center to large with 40hz crossovers. I have Rockets 550 MKII's and the 200 (bigfoot) center channel. I would think they should be running as small with something in the 60 to 80 hz crossover though.

Also, I have a SVS PB12 plus2 - it has 2 12" drivers. Should I be selecting the option for a 15" sub in the OSD menu on the HK?

Does anyone have some tips or tricks for the EQ? I think my settings are kind of off....especially with the front soundstage being set to LARGE.

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
117 Posts
I totally hear you - after my first attempts to run ez/eq I was ready to ship my 435 back :mad: ... it always set my speaker sizes wrong and when I changed them manually and re-run manual ez/eq it always gave me far-field errors.

What really helps is moving the mic around (higher or below listening position - use a tripod). Once you get some adequate automatic ez/eq results, check and change manually x-over frequencies etc. and run manual ez/eq again. I'm still not totally happy with the results and gonna give another try - but it already gives me a taste what this receiver is capable of.

A good thing before you do a new shot is to unplug the receiver for a couple of minutes, reset the processor and make a fresh start (be careful, all your settings will be gone). Let us know how it worked out for you.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Mr. MCode did a nice write up in another thread. I do not know which thread, but I collect info like this, so here it is:

Sounds like you need to rerun the EQ setup..

I would suggest the following:

1. Do a Processor Reset.

Note this will erase your stations presets and surround settings but brings you back to the startup defaults.

2. Set HK635 volume level @ -28dB.

3. On the subwoofer enclosure, set Subwoofer level control to about midway and X-over frequency control to max

4. Make sure you have a tripod and the extension rod installed

5. Run the EQ, for the Near Field the microphone should be aimed between the loudspeaker's tweeter and mid-range. Mike should be about 8-10" away but the spherical end aimed at the loudspeaker. Tilt teh tripod about 60 degrees.

6. Run the EQ for Far Field. Place the tripod in the listener's position, aiming upwards but the height of the microphone should be @ ear level while sitting.

Try the above, follow the instructions and then post back your results.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.