AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently have an Onkyo 502 driving 4 Polk R30's and a Polk csI25 center with an Onkyo sub. Have decided to upgrade my receiver and my sub next. Budget is about $700 for the receiver. Looking for opinions of the HK 635 vs. the Onkyo 703 - either can be had for $699 at Circuit City.

From what I can tell the specs are fairly similar, with a fairly similar feature set (although the Onkyo has the THX certification). Any reasons to go with one over the other? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I just ordered the HK 635 - refurb via email for around $550 shipped and it comes with a 2 year warranty. You can get the Onkyo from jr.com for less than what CC has it (not sure how you feel about ordering online, but from what I hear, jr.com is respectable - I have never ordered from them though). As for the difference in the two, I couldn't tell you which one to go with. I have an older Onkyo that is just a TANK. It is 15 years old approx and is running perfectly. Took me through my college days, so yes, it has been abused a bit :) ... I ended up with the HK because it appears that they match the best with Ascend speakers, which is next on my list. I imagine you can't go wrong with either, but just pure speculation on my part.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I went with the 635 because of the Logic 7 and that they put out a current flash to fix any bugs. Not that Onkyo did not but HK seemed on the ball with having a process to distribute changes

·
Registered
23 Posts
you "ordered" it via email ........can you give me a little more insight into this. The refurb site i've been to is the ebay hk refurb listing and they are all available through bidding (unless you know of another method). Please share.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Sorry, wasn't clear. Ebayed it. There are 2 - 3 a day going out, so the odds of getting one at a decent price are pretty good. You can also order directly from harmanaudio, but you can definately get it cheaper on ebay.

·
Registered
29,204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkhering
Any reasons to go with one over the other?
H/K's room EQ feature is well thought out and really does improve the sound. It would be the main reason I'd pick the 635 over the 703. Other features, like LOGIC7 and independent crossovers, would be icing on the cake.

Sanjay

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the input guys. Decided to go with the HK.

gmarcotte, I actually decided to upgrade the receiver and the sub (Velo. vrp 1200). Thanks for the advice. :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
 http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=222220

here is a face off of the subs in that price range.

by the way, i didn't mean to bash your sub. it is just that you could upgrade your receiver and get exactly the same sound + 3dB. i am torn between used sunfire true sub jr and a used svs. i have heard the sunfire and it was incredible what this little box can do. its all those watts they put in there. i've never heard the svs but heard lots of good things about them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.