AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I'd also like to add, besides the amp section, what are the differences to the 525?

I'd actually like to hear the positive as well as the negative (if any).

Thanks.

·
Registered
12,257 Posts
I have had a AVR 7200 for about 30 days it replaced the AVR 8000 and I also had an AVR 525.

The 7200 is a hybrid of the 8000 and 525, it has the great sounding HK amplifiers (100W x 7), and a new LCD remote control. Also has the triple X-Over and DVD audio bass manager, that are usually only found on high end AV processors. Does not have THX but does have DTS 6.1 ES, DD EX and Logic 7 7.1 and 96kHz capability.. :cool:

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Thanks for chiming in Sinitro,

I also currently have the 8000, any regrets?

I'm planning to build a second HT System, and was planning to purchase another 8000 till these came out. The second system would be a build up project for me, meaning purchasing a receiver for now and add an amp later (that's why the previous question about 525 and 7200 features).

thedeskE,

sorry, didn't mean to highjack the thread.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
iqwertyi

No problem - hijack away

I had a 520 and was impressed with the amp sound, but not quite enough power for me. I also had a B&K 305 but got tired of waiting for PL2.

Sinitro, how's the power going from the 8000?

Seems like 10w is minimal or maby no difference. Maby you could tell us about it.

Eric

·
Registered
12,257 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by thedeskE
Thought some of you might like a jpg of the back - posted at HTF recently - looks goog huh?
That photo was taken @ WCES..

The 7200 has many connectors, also its LCD remote is excellant..

The 7200 amplifier is same topology as the 8000 but uses 2 pairs of output devices per channel (in parallel), whereas the 8000 used 3 pairs but has 7 channels of 100W versus 5 of the 8000. Like all HK amplifiers it has tons of current and will easily rattle the walls, sounds very smooth and musical.. :cool:

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Sinitro - I didn't know the origin of the photo.

My brief stint with a 520 revealed the same opinion about the amps. Warm and very punchy was my take as well.

I expect the same from the 7200.

The lack of THX is OK by me. I just never used it on my previous units.

The vertical layout of the speaker posts is a little wierd, but I can dress the wire to work. I notice the DP receivers get back to the lower grouping (much better)

I'm looking forward to Logic7 for some of my older 2.0 disks. I don't understand why many are complaining about Logic7 not overlaying 5.1 material. Isn't DD,DTS good enough?

Eric

·
Registered
12,257 Posts
In the 7200, Logic 7 works from either a 2-channel PCM or analog inputs. The AVR 8000 would downmix a 5.1 DD or DTS to 2.0 and then process Logic 7 but it had a 2nd DSP for postpocessing. The 7200 has a single DSP.

But since the 7200 has DD, DTS, 6.1 and EX the majority of the later DVDs do not really need Logic 7. But IMHO Logic 7 is phenomenal for music CDs.. :cool:

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sinitro

I assume you left out the word `not' between do and really?

Thanks for the PCM clarification. Even if it did process DD/DTS etc, I have no desire to reprocess 6 or 7 channel mixes a second time. This makes me think of Hall/Club etc. Totally useless for me.

My music listening on this system is mostly DVD Audio, and thus there's very few titles to hear, given my tastes and what I'm willing to buy.

I will give it a try with a few 2 channel CDs though.

For me, the real excitment is making my way to EX and ES (surround rear) for the first time. That should be fun.

Eric

·
Registered
12,257 Posts
Quote:
Sinitro

I assume you left out the word `not' between do and really?

Thanks for the PCM clarification. Even if it did process DD/DTS etc, I have no desire to reprocess 6 or 7 channel mixes a second time. This makes me think of Hall/Club etc. Totally useless for me.

My music listening on this system is mostly DVD Audio, and thus there's very few titles to hear, given my tastes and what I'm willing to buy.

I will give it a try with a few 2 channel CDs though.

For me, the real excitment is making my way to EX and ES (surround rear) for the first time. That should be fun.

Eric
I added the "not".. :cool:

guess my fingers skipped a little.. ;)

·
Registered
Onkyo TX-NR5009, AppleTV 4K, Sony KDL-55W900A, M&K s-125 lcr, M&K SS-150 surround, SVS 16-46pci sub
785 Posts
I am really considering this receiver as well. I am waiting a bit to see if there are any problems that crop up early on. I am using a Sony STR-DA4ES right now and although i am happy with it there are a few things that I am not happy about. I love a warmer sounding receiver.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mine should be here mid week and I'll post my thoughts.

I'll be pushing a set of Rockets - 750-200-250 and some custom STLs in the Rear.

Eric

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Congratulations on the purchase thedeskE. Looking forward to your review.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well guys,

The 7200 arrived today, right in the middle of my 1 year tune up with my guy Sean Tebor(Atlanta). My TV is back to magic after a couple of hours, and we set up the receiver.

I haven't had much time yet, so I'll make a few brief comments.

There's plenty of power - I use Rocket 750/200/250 - and I don't have the 2 rear speaks up yet, but they're here. The sub is an SVS Ultra powered with a Crown K1. Just like 3 previous Harmans I owned, the power rating is still conservative and the 100 per channel acts more like 130-140 from the other popular brands. I reached 90db from my listening position at -10 with a DVDA and it felt like more.

The crossover is default at 100 and I changed to 80 for the moment.

Interesting - my sat feed is a basic RCA with an optical out and my first try on HBO made the 7200 change to Logic7. On other channels I'd see PL2 or sometimes a combo of DD&PL2. As many have said before, Logic7 is very good. I'll post more on this when I get a longer listen. I don't understand why some sat channels flag Logic7 and others PL2, but I was able to switch between the two with the surround mode button. DD flags just fine.

The remote is really long but the layout is excellent. It has a nice silky feel around the case (the plastic must have a fine texture) very nice. The backlight is blue under all the buttons, but I really can't read the lables in my low light room- they're very small. I have an MX500, so I won't be with the HK remote very long. It's much nicer than I expected.

I use an S Video from the sat, so I can't really tell what kind of hit the monitor out makes on the signal - it's DTV and we all know it sucks compared to DVDs. I zoom my 16X9 TV so I can fill the screen without streaching, which makes it even worse.

There was a disconcerting moment when my sub started humming a bit. I used a ground lift to calm it down. I didn't have to do this on my last receiver. The K1 was always silent. I'll need time to know if this is a problem with the HK, so stay tuned on that.

Time for Dinner & A Movie

I'll be back with more after I get the surround backs set up.

Eric

·
Registered
12,257 Posts
Quote:
Interesting - my sat feed is a basic RCA with an optical out and my first try on HBO made the 7200 change to Logic7. On other channels I'd see PL2 or sometimes a combo of DD&PL2. As many have said before, Logic7 is very good. I'll post more on this when I get a longer listen. I don't understand why some sat channels flag Logic7 and others PL2, but I was able to switch between the two with the surround mode button. DD flags just fine.
The 7200 software will default to DPL II Movies if DD 2.0 is detected, if PCM is detected then Logic 7 Music is turned On. If the bitstream is DD 5.1 then it autodetects this, totally depends upon on what bitstream is being received from the source component.

Keep us advised for your hookup progress.. :cool:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was reading the maual on the HK webbsite and notis the weight is 61 ib or 29.9 kg but if you read the product specifications it is only 53 Ib or 24.1 kg, whitch weight is right 61 or 53 Ib??

·
Registered
12,257 Posts
The 7200 is one big unit, due to its XL (Extra Large) torroidal power transformer and heat sinks. The weight difference is likely the unit only versus, totall packed in carton with accessories... :cool:

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well guys - The little hum(maby 60cycle) going to my sub has become an issue. I'll be exchanging for a 2nd unit before I make any comments about the audio.

I never had a problem with the Crown(powering the SVS) with 2 other receivers. When I first noticed the hum, I did the usual stuff (groung lift on the Crown/different circuit/etc) but was in no mood to solve a problem that should not be there. I powered down the receiver with the crown amp on and got a BIG hum. Today I did the same thing, and no hum. I normally leave it on and it goes to low power mode/sleep.

Another quirk was during DVD playback - switching input to Sat and hitting the OSD button to make changes - then back to the DVD imput. No Sound. Bumping the imput up and back to DVD solved the problem. I remember fooling the processor in the 520 the same way. Once I set up the unit, this would not be an issue with me.

I'm noticing a slight distortion or compression in the center channel, but I'm convinced this has to do with the grounding in the unit. My salesman (Jason-Onecall) guessed in an email-

`without me myself seeing it, I'd say it looks like

possible bad trace on the power side (letting 60cycle hum into the ground system) which would cause the hum, and of course, the sound would be affected...'

The removable power cord is a 2 prong / no ground, so there's no way to lift ground. The spacing on the back of the 7200 is the same size as a 3prong, but only 2 are there. I remember thinking that was strange - the cable and plugs look to be heavy duty, but......?

After running a few DVDs, I'm not hearing that nice warm HK sound I remember from my previous 3 units (100/300/520) Again, I'm blaming this on the eletrical hum with this unit.

I wouldn't let this news on my unit go any further than bad luck. In my experience, all runs of units from just about anybody have a few that are bad. It's a pain, but I'm not making any judgement until I receive the 2nd unit.

More next week

Eric

1 - 20 of 127 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.