3,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
 HK 990 details It seems to have everything:

- 2.2 integrated with bass management and EQ

- digital in

- tons of power (150w x 2, 8 ohms)

- XLR in and out

Does anyone have one?

How does its DAC compare to an outboard DAC?

What is the EQ like compared to Audyssey?

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the opportunity to order one here in Canada (~$1300 new).

I currently have a Cambridge Audio Sonata system which is OK but does not have proper bass management (it is 2.1 but sends full signal to speakers and sub) and has no room EQ.

I also want to get a Squeezebox Duet in the system - this means getting a decent DAC (I don't consider the Squeezebox DAC decent).

Cheapest other option is Emo DAC (available soon) $300, Emo USP-1 pre $350, Emo UPA- 2 amp $300; total $950

Other option DAC (Emo or other) $300, Parasound 2100 pre $650, Para 2125 - $550; total $1500

This as a one-box solution is attractive, but with limited to no North America reviews.

·
Registered
29,065 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick240 /forum/post/18380037

HK 990 details It seems to have everything:

- 2.2 integrated with bass management and EQ

- digital in

- tons of power (150w x 2, 8 ohms)

- XLR in and out

Does anyone have one?

How does its DAC compare to an outboard DAC?

What is the EQ like compared to Audyssey?

Previous versions of EZset EQ haven't been as good as Audyssey but this is only a 2 channel receiver. Who knows how well it works! Maybe M Code can chime in? He usually has inside knowledge.

·
Registered
12,278 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt /forum/post/18380851

Previous versions of EZset EQ haven't been as good as Audyssey but this is only a 2 channel receiver. Who knows how well it works! Maybe M Code can chime in? He usually has inside knowledge.

The 990 uses a TI DSP so the EZSet/EQ is the one developed by Harman/JBL and is quite good..

Just my $0.01..

·
Registered
602 Posts

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Yea $2400 is real high IMO. They are competing with some pretty heavy hitters.

You could get new:

-Rotel RC-1580/RB-1552 separates $2200

-Parasound Halo P3/A23 separates $1800

-NAD C-375BEE $1300

I am very interested in this and am glad they are bringing some of their hifi gear to NA but I think they have priced themselves too high. Hopefully they will start selling them at lower prices. I think $1500 would have been a good starting point.

·
Registered
12,278 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgveteran /forum/post/19414447

Why auto eq 2 channel. I could see a system of separates besting that...

Since the 990 uses a TI 710 DSP, it has ample resources to do Room EQ, Bass Management..

If you don't want to use the Room EQ S/W just switch it out.. No biggee..

Just my $0.02...

·
Registered
2,520 Posts

Quote:

Some people want to auto EQ everything. I do like that is has digital inputs and uses a good DAC.

·
Registered
602 Posts

Gotta have pics. oooh! aaah!

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
i have an article at home from one of the UK HiFi mags testing this beast; showing over 1500 watts dynamic power per channel into 1 ohm < 1% distortion, stable.... impressive. Don't know if it can pull that off with 120 volts though.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:

Why would a 2 ch room be less likely to have nulls and peaks in FR than a multi-channel room?

·
Registered
7,747 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick240 /forum/post/19418829

Why would a 2 ch room be less likely to have nulls and peaks in FR than a multi-channel room?

Makes sense.....But that's kinda pricey

·
Registered
602 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgveteran /forum/post/0

Makes sense.....But that's kinda pricey

Read though the manual, not bad. Not many integrated amps are this powerful, offer analog/digital flexibility, dual sub outputs, MM/MC separate phono inputs and set and forget DSP.

I think HK wants you to look at every bit of it's integrated parts and understand that it's the best you can buy for all in one.

They should have made it look more different than the HK 3940, sold a matching 5 channel amp, sold a matching 7.1ch processor with bits stolen from lexicon..

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
You forget the most important picture

To me the DSP is of no interest. For that price you could purchase separates and an external DAC that would probably sound better than using the digital inputs on this unit. One of the digital features that does peak my interest is their proprietary HRS link that can be used with their HD 990 CD player. That looks like a nice player and I could see an advantage to matching these two components together.

Like I said if the price was lower, maybe some of those features like the digital inputs would be more appealing. At this price point they are competing with higher end companies with better histories for making quality components that are built to last and have longer warranties. HK does not exactly have the best track record when it comes to their components lasting year after year without some kind of issue.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Hello.

Does any of the resident experts know if a 120 unit can be converted to run on 230 volt. I can see that there are 2 specific models, but often it is possible to move a jumper ect to convert the voltage.

I have a 120 volt unit but im moving to a 230 volt country so I would love to bring it.

thanks for any inputs on this.

·
Registered
12,278 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasselhof /forum/post/19443793

Hello.

Does any of the resident experts know if a 120 unit can be converted to run on 230 volt. I can see that there are 2 specific models, but often it is possible to move a jumper ect to convert the voltage.

I have a 120 volt unit but im moving to a 230 volt country so I would love to bring it.

thanks for any inputs on this.

No jumper..

The 120V version had to pass UL/CSA certification, to make it have 120/230 capability with supporting safety agency certification would have raised the cost significantly...

Just my $0.02...

1 - 20 of 98 Posts