AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a great contact at an electronics store nerarby and eh owes me a fravor. Hence now I have the ability to buy either:

A Harman Kardon 225 (this years model) for $200 bucks

or buy an

A Harman Kardon 520 (last years model) for $300 bucks.

I am a newbie, so i am not sure which one to get. From what I read, the 520 should be my choice... yet I am not 100% sure, so i seek advice.

Please help me make my decission, and if possible, give me some insight as to why one is ebtter than the other.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
The 520 is worth the extra $100 because it not only has more power it has 7.1 channel preouts for external amps. As far as I can tell looking at the on-line manual the 225 does not have preouts. I am using the 520 now as a preamp for digital sources and like it very much. Just be sure this special deal includes the manufacturer's warranty. That price sounds almost too good to be true. Be sure its not "hot."

Dsmith

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
I agree with Dsmith and would also add that the 520 has Main-ins for system flexibility. As channels continue to grow in number it is always useful to have decent configurable amping available.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah it has warranty. I have a freind at circuit city, and he can hook me up with the unit and thier extended 3 year warranty for that price. Its good to have freinds :)

So I guess the 520 it is :)

Just on a side note, any advantages (if any) that the 225 may have over the 520??

·
Registered
12,261 Posts
The AVR 520 has many features over the AVR 225, these include:

1. 8 channel DSP

2. DTS 6.1 ES, HDCD

3. Pre-Outs/Main-Ins

4. Backlight Remote w/Learning

5. More output power

Note that AVR 225 is a current model and then AVR 520 is now 1 1/2 years old. Original retail for AVR 520 was $899 vs $499 for the AVR 225.. :cool:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks sinitro. Your post really helped me alot. I guess that despite being an older model, the 520 is still better than the current 225. So I am convinced, sicne no one ahs been able to give me a single advantage of the 225 over the 520. heck, they even lok the same minus the color of the buttons.

Biw, again being the newwbie i am, what is 8dsp and what does it do, and what are Pre-Outs/Main-Ins used for?

thanks in advance

Ohh, and afinal thing, in roder to get 7.1 audio out of this unit, i need to buy an amplifier right? More info on thsi alst Question will be most useful

·
Registered
12,261 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ricard2798
thanks sinitro. Your post really helped me alot. I guess that despite being an older model, the 520 is still better than the current 225. So I am convinced, sicne no one ahs been able to give me a single advantage of the 225 over the 520. heck, they even lok the same minus the color of the buttons.

Biw, again being the newwbie i am, what is 8dsp and what does it do, and what are Pre-Outs/Main-Ins used for?

thanks in advance

Ohh, and afinal thing, in roder to get 7.1 audio out of this unit, i need to buy an amplifier right? More info on thsi alst Question will be most useful
8 channel DSP means it can handle 6.1 /7.1 modes like DTS ES and Logic 7. Pre-Out/Main-Ins make it EZ to expand for more connections to bigger amplifiers as well as using the internal amplifiers as well... :cool:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.