AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all....I've been lurking these forums for sometime reading, reading and more reading!

I have finally started assembling my entry level home theater system but could use some help!

First off my components,

HK avr 247 receiver

HTPC (High Def video), Blue ray rom

Mirage M5's and sub

Paradigm surround and center channel

Toshiba (rear projection) high def ready tv ...to be replaced with Flat screen soon.

So....the questions...

I am wondering how to hook the HTPC to the receiver effectively...

Do i run video thru the receiver or direct to the tv?

The sound from the HTPC should be connected thru the digital (orange) connection?

Currently i require component connection for tv...if i connect video from PC to Receiver via hdmi, will i be able to run component out (unlikely im sure)

Will this receiver power the Mirage speakers (bi-polar)?

I'm sure i will have more questions as this project takes shape....but i could use some help and advice from the experts.

I assembled this project with budget in mind hence the equipment list...

Any help or assistance will be much appreciated...keep in mind i am a rookie!!

Thanks

·
Registered
408 Posts
Need some details on the HTPC. Its mobo chipset, its sound solution, its video solution. You also don't mention what other sources are you going to be connecting to that receiver. What else will be HTPC used for?

Now, a few answers:

1. running component video through receiver will give added convenience of switching both video and audio at the receiver. But if HTPC is the only connected source, that kinda doesn't matter.

2. HTPC orange connector is S/PDIF. It will pass 2-channel stereo material, and it will pass DD5.1 and DTS from say, DVDs, which might be all you need. If you also want gaming in surround, you will not get it through that connection - unless you get a Dolby Digital Live-capable sound card. If gaming is not a factor, then you are pretty much set.

3. A definite no. An HDMI input will NOT produce a component output.

4. According to specs, M5's need 75-200 watts RMS per channel, and are 6 ohm nominal impendance. The 247 spec 50W/channel, 8ohm. In other words, this receiver will be mismatched and underpowered with M5 fronts. However, it has line-level outputs, so you can use an external amp to drive those.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll have to get into the HTPC when i get home tonight...

All i have kept to memory is CPU speed, ram etc...

I added a Geoforce 8700 HD video card, it has on-board sound currently.

As for adding....Well my intention with the HTPC was just the Blu Ray capability, HDTV Video tuner/decoder (and the ability to record OTA HDTV), and obviously the ability to surf, view pictures, saved videos etc in my home theater. I am not a gamer at all ...and will likely never use this computer for gaming.

As far as additional equipment...

I will add to the system my son's Xbox (original), Nintendo Wii, possibly a Playstation3 down the road, that will likely be the extent of peripherals that i need..

My use of the M5's come from having them from an old system...with my Marantz receiver that just fried...unfortunately!!

I wasn't thinking that the new HK wouldn't drive these and am now concerned that i made an error in purchasing this unit...

If they were hooked up?? would this damage the receiver? are there issues with the mismatch?

Thanks for your response....Look forward to further information.

·
Registered
Revel M22 & C32, JBL P520WS, Revel W563 & Infinity ERS 110II, SVS SB-2000 (x2), Anthem MRX 720
750 Posts
According to the 247 manual:

"Due to copy-protection restrictions, there is no output at

the Component Video Monitor Outputs for copy-protected

sources.

High-resolution analog 1080i and 1080p video signals are

not available at the HDMI Output, but 1080i signals are

passed through, as is, to the Component Video Outputs. If your

source outputs analog high-resolution video, either use the

AVR’s Component Video Outputs, lower the output resolution

of your source device, or connect your source’s component

video outputs directly to your video display."

So, since your TV is limited to component input, you're not going to be able to get 1080 from the HTPC. The video section of the 247 is nothing special. In fact, it may degrade your HTPC feed through component out.

When you get a flat panel, then you can use HDMI. I have the 347, and I switch my HDMI sources through the receiver and use a single HDMI to the TV. Some say the receiver still screws up the picture, even though it is supposed to be passing it through unmolested. I tried it both ways, saw no difference, and chose convienence.

I couldn't find anything on your "8700" video card. I assume it does not have component out. Bottom line is you're probably gonna have to run HDMI to the receiver, then component out to TV and live with the lowered rez until you get the HDMI capable flat panel.

As far as sound, if your HTPC outputs audio over HDMI (mine won't), then great. WIth the software upgrade, your receiver with accept MPCM over HDMI. However, high def audio from blu-rays, assuming you have decoded it in the computer, will be downsampled to 16 bit CD quality. There are VERY limited solutions to this issue, if it is something you care about.

Another positive for the receiver is Logic 7. It is, IMO, an excellent software DSP that can turn any stereo source into a convincing, discrete, 5 or 7 channel surround track. So, even if you are stuck with S/PDIF, you can "create" surround sound in the receiver.

Scorpio's right about the speaker mismatch. You might fry the receiver as it isn't rated at 6 ohms. The power rating on the HK is honest, all channels driven, so it's got more power than you might think, particularly when compared to other receivers with higher power specs. It has dual power supplies, though they are not torroids. It's a high current design. Bottom line, you could try it. The receiver, hopefully will go into protection mode if it can't drive those speakers.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok...went home at lunch and got some further details....maybe this will help!

The Paradigm Speakers i have may be suitable for fronts instead of surrounds...They are Mini Monitor v.2, the center channel is Paradigm CC-370 v.2

I also have an old set of JBL Flix surround speakers...

So....Maybe im going to remove the M5's out of the system for now (until i get amp) use the Paradigms for front and center, and the JBL's for surrounds....

Also have a Mirage BPS-150 subwoofer that will pickup the slack for bass output...

Sound ok?

Also, did a little exploring on my HTPC. It is a Pentium dual processor 1.8ghz with 2 gig ram, ATI Radeon HD2400 video, ATI Function driver for HD Sound (on board the video), video card has hdmi & dvi outputs....guessing the hdmi carries sound too.

So....Please give me some needed advice....am i on track here??

·
Registered
Revel M22 & C32, JBL P520WS, Revel W563 & Infinity ERS 110II, SVS SB-2000 (x2), Anthem MRX 720
750 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfore /forum/post/16975917

Sound ok?

Yep--cool beans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfore /forum/post/16975917

Also, did a little exploring on my HTPC. It is a Pentium dual processor 1.8ghz with 2 gig ram, ATI Radeon HD2400 video, ATI Function driver for HD Sound (on board the video), video card has hdmi & dvi outputs....guessing the hdmi carries sound too.

So....Please give me some needed advice....am i on track here??

Again, your problem is the older TV. For now, you're stuck connecting HDMI to the receiver, and then component to the TV, and thereby, watching blu-rays at reduced resolution. This may not matter at all depending on your screen size and viewing distance! If the TV has a DVI connection, you could try going direct to that from the HTPC. I'm fairly certain, however, you won't get HD video because of the lack of HDCP (copy protection, which HDMI handles). Anyway, when you get the new TV, you can either go straight HDMI into the set, or connect through the receiver--your choice. Audio is whole 'nother mess from the HTPC.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I have already seen this error mentioned twice in the thread, and I have to caution you (I specifically checked the AVR247 manual to confirm this): Your receiver WILL NOT convert an HDMI input to a component output. If, as advised in above posts, you connect PC to AVR via HDMI, and receiver to TV via component, you will get NO picture.

Quote from manual:
Quote:
With the AVR 247's powerful processor,

you may connect up to two HDMI-equipped source devices to the HDMI

inputs using a single-cable connection, while benefiting from superior

digital audio and video performance. However, if your video display is

not HDMI-compatible, you will need to connect the device to one of the

other source inputs, selecting a coaxial or optical digital audio input and

analog video input.

You'll either have to find a way to output component from the PC, or speed up your TV upgrade.

There is a device I saw on Amazon, made by SIIG, which supposedly converts HDMI to component, it's a $200 box. I would probably save that money and put it towards a new TV.

Overall, this receiver should work pretty well for you - as long as your sources are the once you list, since your expansion ability would be quite limited. The preamp outputs will serve to power the M5's once you get a dedicated amp for them.

Oh, about BD playing: I would think long and hard about this one. You can get a stand-alone player today for about as much as what you'll pay for a BD-ROM drive and the requisite software. And if PS3 is definitely in the plans, don't forget that it plays BDs too. IMHO, it only makes sense to do it via PC if you plan to rip BDs to .mkv and watch from hard drive.

·
Registered
750 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorrpio /forum/post/16980335

I have already seen this error mentioned twice in the thread, and I have to caution you (I specifically checked the AVR247 manual to confirm this): Your receiver WILL NOT convert an HDMI input to a component output. If, as advised in above posts, you connect PC to AVR via HDMI, and receiver to TV via component, you will get NO picture.

Thanks for the polite correction--it can be a rareity around here

Still, I thought it would work if you reduced the output resolution. No? The manual has numerous qualifications in bold throughout, some of which seem contradictory.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the help thus far....

My receiver arrives this week and am excited to get things put together!

I am a little disappointed about my purchase of the HK247 knowing now that i could've purchased a Denon avr from Costco that was 100W rms per channel...

That would've likely driven the Mirage M5's...

Oh well...maybe sell the M5's in the future, cause the cost of an add-on amplifier seems pretty pricey.

I have also decided to purchase a standalone blu-ray player and nix the upgrade to the HTPC. I will use this mostly for OTA High def broad casts, access to d'l files, shows, pictures etc...

Anyway...I'm sure i will have many more questions as this progresses...

Thanks all for your advice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.