AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

In my local store, I bought both the HK AVR 254 and the AVR 347. I was wondering if someone can help me decide which receiver to keep. The prices were not that much different from each other. I just want to keep the better receiver which has more features, latest features between the two.

I have absolutely no clue and am not an audiophile by any means. I like to listen to music, watch movies and sports.

I would appreciate any feedback.

Regards

Raavango

·
Registered
63 Posts
It appears that the 347 is rated at 5 more watts per channel, has an additional digital input, has one less HDMI input and the remote can control 4 more devices. If you don't need three HDMI inputs I would stick with the 347, but if you have three HDMI components the 254 would be the way to go.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eckhore /forum/post/16930376

It appears that the 347 is rated at 5 more watts per channel, has an additional digital input, has one less HDMI input and the remote can control 4 more devices. If you don't need three HDMI inputs I would stick with the 347, but if you have three HDMI components the 254 would be the way to go.

The 347 doesn't support HDMI 1.3 if that matters to you. These are two very different receivers and are seperated by alot more than just 1 HDMI input. It will not decode the new HD codecs, it will not upconvert resolution via HDMI to 1080i or 1080p. Since the HDMI chip in this system is 1.1, it will handle all the high definition audio formats, but only in either PCM format or native MLP for DVD-Audio discs. Native SACD isn't supported and can only be transmitted via PCM conversion (or analog transmission) on the part of the player.

If none of that matters to you then it will work fine...but it's also a good idea to read up in the dedicated threads and find out if any of the known issues that are prominent with the HK's will be bothersome to you. It's not fun getting a receiver and finding these things out later...so do your homework!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts