AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help!

I currently own a 6-year old Harman Kardon AVR 125 receiver (5.1) and am using it for my PS3. It has been an excellent quality receiver over the years, but now I am in the market for a new 7.1 receiver. I want something that is future proof and supports everything that the PS3 supports (Deep Color, x.v.Color, 7.1 Ch. Linear PCM at 192 kHz, etc.).

So, I'm considering the Sony STR-DG820 (MSRP $399) and the Harman Kardon AVR 254 (MSRP $599). Price is a nonissue for me.

On one hand, I am leaning toward the Sony, because it features absolutely everything the PS3 is capable of. On the other hand, I am leaning toward the HK, because I love my current HK receiver and I fear that the Sony will end up being a disappointment in terms of sound quality. But, the HK doesn't feature x.v.Color passthrough, and I don't believe it can accept 7.1 channel linear PCM at 192 kHz.

Please advise.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Broaden your search. IMO Sony sounds like crap. Very different from H/K. Check with Denon, Pioneer, Onkyo, Yamaha. All companies are releasing their new models which means the old ones are cheaper, new ones have better parts (which might help you)

·
Registered
5,654 Posts
The 254 is a brand new model and can do everything the sony can do and more. In terms of sound quality the hk will blow away the sony. In fact i demoed hk 247 last year and it blew away my denon 2803 in performance. i now have a hk 745 and love it. Any way, dont take my word. Audition them side by side and pick your winner.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bommai /forum/post/14347711

The 254 is a brand new model and can do everything the sony can do and more. In terms of sound quality the hk will blow away the sony. In fact i demoed hk 247 last year and it blew away my denon 2803 in performance. i now have a hk 745 and love it. Any way, dont take my word. Audition them side by side and pick your winner.

You said the HK can do everything the Sony can do? But in the HK owner's manual, it makes no mention of x.v.Color support passthrough. The Sony supports this, and I want this feature just in case x.v.Color content is produced in the future. Also, I cannot confirm whether the HK features 7.1 linear PCM.

·
Registered
5,654 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayB3yondNow /forum/post/14347732

You said the HK can do everything the Sony can do? But in the HK owner's manual, it makes no mention of x.v.Color support passthrough. The Sony supports this, and I want this feature just in case x.v.Color content is produced in the future. Also, I cannot confirm whether the HK features 7.1 linear PCM.

hk supports 7.1 pcm for sure. Even their previos gen model 247/347 support 7.1 pcm with firmware upgrade. The 254 is a hdmi 1.3 receiver and there is a good chance it supports xv color.

·
Banned
3,741 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayB3yondNow /forum/post/14347534

But, the HK doesn't feature x.v.Color passthrough,

Being an HDMI v1.3a receiver that would be surprising...

Quote:
and I don't believe it can accept 7.1 channel linear PCM at 192 kHz.

...which was already supported on its predecessor, the 347, wasn't it...?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts