AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I'm thinking of upgrading my receiver (currently a Sony 935 DD/DTS) and am trying to decide between the HK 325 and 525. Hoping the sage folks here can give me some advice.

My setup is:

Infinity Reference 2006 front towers

Infinity CC1 center channel

Infinity Sub

Jamo Coronet II rears.

The room is not that big (~ 10'x14' but with only a partial wall on the left side), so I don't think I need a ton of power. Also, I don't really have the space to get 2 more speakers for the rear for 7.1 sound, so I'll probably be staying with 5.1. Also, I almost exclusively use this setup for home theater, DVD's, and TV watching.

It seems the main difference between the two is 525 has more power and digital bass management. Is there anything else? Is it worth spending a few hundred more on the 525, or will the 325 be adequate? How usefull is the digital bass management.

The reason I'm looking to upgrade is to have a receiver that can do component video switching, and has more digital audio inputs. Also, I'm hoping the HK will give me better sound quality. (Not that the Sony sucks, but I would expect the HK should be better).

Any adivice on these two receivers? Thanks!

·
Registered
421 Posts

·
Registered
12,260 Posts
Basic differences between 525 and 325 are:

1. Power

2. DVD Audio Bass Manager

3. HDCD

4. BackLighted Remote

:cool:

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info Sinitro! Are the Bass management features very useful, or more marketing? It seems like with the selective crossovers, and an adjustable sub one would have enough control, but I haven't heard the bass manageer in action, so...

·
Registered
12,260 Posts
AVR 525 and AVR 325 have the same triple X-Over system, very very flexible. The DVD Audio Bass Manager is when connecting a DVD-Audio or SACD player that has no builtin Bass manager. It is designed to digitize the analog output (from DVD audio player) then the digitized signal is processed just like a DTS or DD bitstream signal... :cool:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.