AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to ask for a help: Can anybody tell me which receiver is better, HK 3600 or Onkyo SR707? It will be used with PS3, movies and shows.

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
While I have not heard either of these models, I did an AB comparison of Onkyos vs HK and liked the sound put out by HK. Also, I have heard very good reviews about the 3600.

·
The Village Idiot
9,738 Posts
After a few years in audio purgatory HK has finally gotten back on track with their new AVRs. Designing an AVR in Russia - and writing firmware in India - and building it in China and getting everyone on the same page and talking to each other to sort out problems in one language is difficult. Of course I really have no way of really knowing all this but with the 'global' market we have now it isn't an inconceivable situation.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Though I am a bit biased because I own the 707, I would advise to go for the 707 objectively I think myself :p.

The 707 has Burr-Brown DACs and has Audyssey room correction, I cannot find out what DACs the HK has, but the Audyssey is missing for sure. There is an automated speaker setup in it, though Audyssey is a very good room correction and setup tool. Though, make you choice by yourself of course

I am very happy with my 707, if you want OSD (volume on screen when watching anything) and 24P it isn't the receiver for you as 24P skips a frame every so often when using OSD, though disabling OSD completely solves it. Apart from that the device is working perfect!

·
Registered
247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eteller /forum/post/18240284

Audyssey can correct you're room till the cows come home, the HK will still sound better.

Could you explain why, not to be a wisea.. but I am just curious why that is the fact.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
HK looks to have problems with audio dropping. Anyone notice that with Onkyo?

HK have the Ipod/Iphone dock and a better OSD, but I don´t think it will be a difference for me.

·
Registered
12,326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan81 /forum/post/18239895

Though I am a bit biased because I own the 707, I would advise to go for the 707 objectively I think myself :p.

The 707 has Burr-Brown DACs and has Audyssey room correction, I cannot find out what DACs the HK has, but the Audyssey is missing for sure. There is an automated speaker setup in it, though Audyssey is a very good room correction and setup tool. Though, make you choice by yourself of course

I am very happy with my 707, if you want OSD (volume on screen when watching anything) and 24P it isn't the receiver for you as 24P skips a frame every so often when using OSD, though disabling OSD completely solves it. Apart from that the device is working perfect!

The HK3600 uses a 192kHz DAC from Cirrus Logic (CS42528), also you may be interested that the Onkyo 707 was actually designed by HK AVR design team (Korea) and built in the Onkyo Malaysia factory..

Just my $0.01..

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Run in pure mode with levels matched, you'd be hard pressed to hear a difference between two $500 receivers. With EQ engaged, you'll definitely hear a difference. Having heard both, Audyssey MultEQ is way ahead of HK's EQ system. HK receivers are slick and have excellent amp sections. Not to mention one of the best GUI's around. Where they fall down is reliability and HDMI issues. Onkyo's also have a fair share of reliability issues. Any reason why Denon isn't on the list?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnatalli /forum/post/18241362

Run in pure mode with levels matched, you'd be hard pressed to hear a difference between two $500 receivers. With EQ engaged, you'll definitely hear a difference. Having heard both, Audyssey MultEQ is way ahead of HK's EQ system. HK receivers are slick and have excellent amp sections. Not to mention one of the best GUI's around. Where they fall down is reliability and HDMI issues. Onkyo's also have a fair share of reliability issues. Any reason why Denon isn't on the list?

The reason that Denon isn´t on the list, is because it´s a little bit hard to to find it (where I live). But we can consider Denon 2310CI in this list too. It will be nice if you or anyone have opinion about it.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
The Denon 2310 is a nice receiver. It has a great amp section, it's reliable, includes Audyssey MultEQ, and the ABT video chip. The only real downside is lack of pre-outs, but not a big deal if you have plans to add an amp later. The 3600 definitely has a more powerful amp section despite its lower power rating. The HK power consumption gets as high as 1,405W which is a lot of current. HK is known for rating their receivers honestly and often times underrating them. That said, any of these receivers (707, 1910, 3600) should have enough power to drive reasonably efficient speakers to very loud volumes.

I really wish HK would get their quality control in order and start using a better room correction technology like Audyssey. If they did, I wouldn't buy anything else, but those two things together are deal breakers for me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
HK 1600, 2600 and 3600 has a better quality compared to the older ones.

I think that I will miss Audyssey, but I know that I will not regret if I get The Hk or the Onkyo.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts