AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was ready to give up AVR 7200 because of its price (in onecall.com).

Yesterday, I found another vendor that sell it at cheaper price. However, it is still double the price of AVR 525.

I'm not a real audiophile but I would like to get into it SLOWLY.

Here is more information about my setting/requirement:

1.) Living in an apartment (so I can't jack up the volume real loud).

2.) The receiver will be used in a 12' x 18' living room.

3.) Set up consist of 7.1 with 2 Polk Audio monitor speakers as front L/R, Teac as Surround L/R + Center, and I still need to get a sub (may be a Yamaha) and rear L/R.

4.) I will feed the receiver with 7.1 Analog signal from my HTPC for MP3 and Audio CD, and SPDIF from HD TV Tuner card (in the HTPC).

Given these requirement do you think the AVR 7200 is overkill?

I don't understand, it's only 30W more than AVR 525 per channel but the price is double of AVR 525.

I was thinking if I need more power in the future, am I better off getting a saperate Amp (200W or more) with the AVR 525?

Does both product have EXACTLY same decoders (Logic 7), cross-over and bass management kind of stuff?

I read that AVR 7200 is very hot all the time, but AVR 525 has fan and create noise, I already have my HTPC and Projector fan running in the living room....

Any recommendation would be great, thanks!

From,

Moses

·
Registered
12,426 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kc_moses
I was ready to give up AVR 7200 because of its price (in onecall.com).

Yesterday, I found another vendor that sell it at cheaper price. However, it is still double the price of AVR 525.

I'm not a real audiophile but I would like to get into it SLOWLY.

Here is more information about my setting/requirement:

1.) Living in an apartment (so I can't jack up the volume real loud).

2.) The receiver will be used in a 12' x 18' living room.

3.) Set up consist of 7.1 with 2 Polk Audio monitor speakers as front L/R, Teac as Surround L/R + Center, and I still need to get a sub (may be a Yamaha) and rear L/R.

4.) I will feed the receiver with 7.1 Analog signal from my HTPC for MP3 and Audio CD, and SPDIF from HD TV Tuner card (in the HTPC).

Given these requirement do you think the AVR 7200 is overkill?

I don't understand, it's only 30W more than AVR 525 per channel but the price is double of AVR 525.

I was thinking if I need more power in the future, am I better off getting a saperate Amp (200W or more) with the AVR 525?

Does both product have EXACTLY same decoders (Logic 7), cross-over and bass management kind of stuff?

I read that AVR 7200 is very hot all the time, but AVR 525 has fan and create noise, I already have my HTPC and Projector fan running in the living room....

Any recommendation would be great, thanks!

From,

Moses

I have had an AVR 7200 now for 2 weeks and have owned both a 525 and 8000. Do a search and U will find my detailed technical comments..

But as a direct response to your questions see below:

1. Pricing

Expect to pay more for the AVR 7200 over the AVR 525 as one product is brand new and the other is now almost 1 year old. The pricing will go down over time but not rite out of the gate.

2. AVR 7200 temperature

I am driving 4 Ohms speakers hard in a big room, its top gets warm but not hot.

3. Remote Control

AVR 7200 has an LCD remote control over the AVR 525.

4. Best Choice for U

The 525 is a great value, high power (70W x 7, ALL channels driven) and a load of kool features like triple X-over and DVD audio bass manager. If U want more power later than use the AVR 525 as a preamp/controller.

Just my $.02 worth... :cool:

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Sinitro.

I was thinking the same thing: If I want more power in the future, just get saparate amps.

As for the heat with the AVR 7200, many people say it's warm if you touch it for a short period of time, but it gets to the point where you can't stand to put your hand on it for a long time..... That worries me consider it's a fanless system and driving more power than 525...

OneCall just raised their 525Z price.... I have to wait again.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I am in the same situation. I got 525Z from OneCall. It came like new! But now I am thinking to use it as prepo - it should be great prepro, and I would get separate amp. May be Rotel 5 channel 1075 or may be other 2-channel amp for the mains only, so I would use 525's amp for surrounds.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.