AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 6 year old AVR-635's front right channel appears to dying. A couple weeks ago my wife and I started noticing cracking in the highs, and the distortions have been slowly growing (originally it was only noticeable in CDs or lossless digital audio, but now we're hearing it from TV and video games). I did a bunch of testing today with multiple speakers, cables, and sources to convince myself it's almost certainly the receiver.

So now the tough question: repair or replace? I'm rather happy with the 635 other than it doesn't do HDMI switching or handle the advanced Bluray soundtracks. It has ample power for our small living room, and the HK EzSet has worked well for me across multiple rooms and setups. I haven't had a chance to contact any repair shops yet, but if the repair broke $300 I'd probably rather upgrade.

If I were to replace, I'd be looking at about $500-1000 budget. I'm split pretty evenly between TV (sports and prime time dramas), movies, video games, and music (movie soundtracks, some classical, pop/alternative, and the wife's country). Looking around I see that, similar to TVs, modern receivers are attempting to add value by adding widgets like Pandora, AirPlay, etc. which aren't particularly useful to me. I'd rather put my money into the amps, DACs (all inputs will be digital), and I'll be honest, a good room auto-eq because my home theater is almost entirely non-optimal acoustically. On the more practical side, our new downstairs neighbor goes to bed pretty early, so processing that brings out quiet dialog and/or keeps movies/music sounding good at low volumes would be a plus. And while I'm not much of a 3D guy yet, it seems like 3D-capable HDMI switching is just good future-proofing at this point. The speaker setup is currently 5.1, and with the size of the living room, I don't see that expanding anytime soon.

My setup includes Vizio XVT3D554SV, PlayStation3, Mac Mini, and Comcast/Motorola DVR, Paradigm Monitor 7 fronts, CC-370 center, and Atom surrounds (speakers all purchased in 2005/2006 around the time of the 635).

Thanks in advance!

Stephen

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm in kind of the same position. My HK DPR 1001 is having left speaker issues and I don't want to spend the money to fix it. I also could use a receiver that has hdmi inputs.

I have tested receivers from Onkyo, Denon, Pioneer, Yamaha and Marantz in my home. I ended up liking the Marantz the best. Denon wasn't bad, but it was always a little too bright sounding compared to the Marantz. The rest I felt were cold, lifeless or both.

It is possible that if you are used to the HK sound, that Marantz might sound the best to you as well.

The reason I'm not considering another HK receiver is because I'm very impressed with the improvements Audyssey make over EzSet. After hearing the difference, it made me kind of glad my HK was having issues so I could justify a new purchase. I had assumed all I was missing was hdmi inputs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelek11 /forum/post/20848035

I have tested receivers from Onkyo, Denon, Pioneer, Yamaha and Marantz in my home. I ended up liking the Marantz the best. Denon wasn't bad, but it was always a little too bright sounding compared to the Marantz. The rest I felt were cold, lifeless or both.

Thanks for the input! I listened to all the same brands back when I bought the 635, but haven't started doing the rounds yet. Checking out the Marantz specs online gives me a good benchmark to start comparing too.

Thanks again,

Stephen

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.