AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Lexicon DC-1v4 that i have had for years. It has been a great preamp!

But my upgrade paths have been done for a long time on this piece. I want to be able to do SACD and DVDA. With the DC-1 there is no 7.1 input. I am a HUGE

fan of Logic7, 95% of the time the preamp stays in this mode. I don't want to give it up. My questions are..Will the 7300 serve as a preamp with as good if not better Logic 7 mode? Also does the 7300 have 192kHz/24-Bit Ouptut DACs on all 8 channels? I have 5 120 watt Rotel Mono blocks as my power. So i can use 2 of the HK amps to power my rears. Or should i save alittle money and pick up a AVR 635 and use it as a preamp and will it be as good as the DC-1v4 or the 7300 as a preamp. One other question on the 7300. Does it have some sort of RE EQ this is one feature that i use allot on the DC-1 for those bright sounding dvds. I have not seen anything about it on any thing i have read so far. Trust me if i could afford a MC-12 it would be sitting in my rack. But i cant so i am trying to find something newer with the same Lexicon sound that i enjoy ie.. Logic 7 that would be as good if not better, just because of the newer technology that is implemented in the 7300. Any feed back would be appreciated!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Where are all of the HK owners? Does the 7300 have 192kHz/24-Bit Ouptut DACs on all 8 channels? One other question on the 7300. Does it have some sort of RE EQ this is one feature that i use allot on the DC-1 for those bright sounding dvds.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I can not help you with your specific questions but this I know. The 635 has a better DSP and does "FULL" Logic 7 (7300 does NOT.) If 7300 did full logic 7, I would get it for the DCDi. I have not read anything that compares the 435/635's "full" to the 7300's. 435/635 also has a more advanced EQ.

·
Registered
12,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken S
Where are all of the HK owners? Does the 7300 have 192kHz/24-Bit Ouptut DACs on all 8 channels?
Yes. The 7300 has 192KHZ/24 bit DACs on all channels..

Quote:
One other question on the 7300. Does it have some sort of RE EQ this is one feature that i use allot on the DC-1 for those bright sounding dvds.
No..

This is found on THX certified products..

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi MCode,

I hope you remember me. We discussed the AVR8000 last year that I eventually bought over the 3805 from the HK site. Well, I am now tempted by the 635 and full L7. Would you reccomend that over the THX certified avr 8000?

Thanks,

Vikram

·
Registered
8,450 Posts
M Code

There are or were some receivers that had a "ReEQ" type setting that acted the same as the THX version but did not have the same exact name, (maybe something like Cinema EQ), and did not have all the other post processing of THX. This was found on non THX receivers. I don't remember which ones, but I think that is what the OP is asking about.

·
Registered
12,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramms
Hi MCode,

I hope you remember me. We discussed the AVR8000 last year that I eventually bought over the 3805 from the HK site. Well, I am now tempted by the 635 and full L7. Would you reccomend that over the THX certified avr 8000?

Thanks,

Vikram
Yes..

I do remember that thread..

Technical things keep moving.. and the 635 has several advances over the 8000 but the per channel power of the 8000 is higher over the 635 by about 35 watts/channel. Also the 635 has 7 channels on board and the 8000 has 5..

Major advances of the 635 are:

1. Audio DSP is the TI 610, very powerful

2. Room EQ, and works for low frequencies (

·
Registered
12,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy
M Code

There are or were some receivers that had a "ReEQ" type setting that acted the same as the THX version but did not have the same exact name, (maybe something like Cinema EQ), and did not have all the other post processing of THX. This was found on non THX receivers. I don't remember which ones, but I think that is what the OP is asking about.
True..

ReEq does a slight treble roll-off.. but ReEq is a THX patent... ;)

For HK AVRs, however a slight cut in the treble control will do the same thing, and the latest HK 435/635 have a tilt control which is shelving treble control.

IMHO..

This feature is less significant than in the earlier times and video releases...

As now when the DVD media and respective audio tracks are being mastered and in post-processing, any audible treble boost is adjusted and tweaked out..

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Do the Denons have Logic 7? The OP wants to keep his L7.

Ken, if you're upgrading, would it be worth waiting till whatever new model comes out? I think they're due, they might have some features worth waiting for (but I'm not sure)

I think the big attraction of the 7300 over the 635 is the amplifier section, but if you don't need that, the 635 is a bit more feature rich.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Ken S... I find myself in the same situation as yourself with having the DC 1v4 with Rotel amps and listening to Logic 7 for all movies in a dedicated theater. I am using the Runco VX-1000C (high definition) as my projector. All is working wonderfully... I have never had one problem since it was installed.

I was looking about upgrading to all the 'new technology' that is in the marketplace today or within the near future. I found out I would have to buy the new Runco VX1000D in order to have the capability to view everything digitally. Then I would have to replace my Lexicon processor with a new one that would have all the new formats. Then I would have to replace my DVD player to the new technology. Otherwords... scrap the entire system, sell it for what you can get and buy all new.......chaising technology can be expensive. This is especially frustrating when what you currently have is working great...

Ron AZ

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for everybodys input! WTR_WKR... My next question was going to be does the 7300 have full logic 7, I see it does not. I would want it in DD/DTS it does make a HUGE difference over plain DD/DTS. M Code... I am glad to see that they did put the tilt feature in the 635. It could help for the bright sounding dvds. I have played with it a few times on the DC-1. Trojan Horse... i may just wait and see what is in store for the next 7xxx model. Does anyone have any idea when they might be released or if they are working on one? They have dropped the prices on the 7300 i take it that it is an indication that something is in the new future . Ron AZ I have been chasing HT technology since 1988. I took a break in 99 when i picked up my DC-1. Now the itch is back i have been lurking this forum for years. And now i am ready to buy!! But i think i am going to wait for the new HK 7xxxx and see what it has. Keep the Rotels and sell the DC-1 I am not sure what it is worth at this time. Again i appreciate everybodys input!

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Roy, Get a DVD player with DCDi upconversion unless your TV does it well or you get a 7300.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.