Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

This is weird. My AVR8000 which has been working fine since I got it in October 2002 just stopped working. I go to my basement to watch a movie this afternoon, hit the button to turn it on and nothing. The amber standby light is not illuminated. I tried toggling the power switch and unplugging the unit for a few hours to no avail. Not sure if the fuse is blown or something, but I was not going to open the unit and risk having the warranty voided.

Anyone have any other suggestion before I have to drag this unit to a service center?

thanks ahead of time for you help,

thinh

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Try a different recepticle in the house. Also, is your receiver connected to a surge protector? If so, see if you can connect directly to the wall.

If all else fails, I'd send it in.

Good luck.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply ... it is connected to a very nice surge protector. All of the other gear of the same surge protector is working fine. I also hooked it up to serveral other outlets in the house. Nothing lights up.

This is weird. I was going to watch the Red Dragon dvd that I rented and is due back tomorrow.

thinh

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
thinny,

Have you double checked your user manual? I can't believe there isn't some type of a fuse to be changed or relay reset button you can hit without having to completely open up the receiver.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Carl,

I did look over the manual and there is a "system reset." This did not work because it requires the receiver to be in standby mode. My avr8000 does not even enter standby mode.

Here is another clue ... the non-switched outlet in the back works but the switched outlets do not work. I wonder if my main power switch went bad.

Thanks for the help.

thinh

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
It could be something as simple as a blown fuse if the switched outlet goes from the same system main fuse.

Your post doesn't indicate where you live but if it is near a major city with good AV repair shops I'd take it in and have someone locally look at it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
This may be a long shot but on my HK AVR-510 there 2 power buttons. One (round concave button) is the system power switch that's on stand-by and right above is the main power switch (round convex).

Your AVR-8000 must have the same set of switches and is there a chance that the main power switch was turned off inadvertently?

Regards,

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
jmonte,

thanks for the input. the Avr8000 has the same set-up with the two buttons. The Main Power switch does not appear to be working as the unit does not even go into standby mode.

I checked on HK website and there is a service center about 30 minutes from my house in cincinnati. So, I will call them tomorrow. Just kind bummed that it crapped out me. I have had 8 different amps/receivers in the past 10 years and this is the first one to fail.

I guess I was due.

thinh

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by thinny
I have had 8 different amps/receivers in the past 10 years and this is the first one to fail.

I guess I was due.

thinh
You lucky stiff. If this is the first time you've even had a switch or fuse go out you've been living on borrowed time for years.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Have you double checked your surge protector. I ask because it happened to me before. I have my AVR8000 connected to the monster 3600, when a blackout happenes, you need to switch "on" the surge protector cause the line they have for receivers is "switched". It took me a day or two to figure this out.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
re: bench time for repair -- I called the local repair shop and the guy said that if it is as simple as a fuse or switch he can have it back to me in a few days. If it is a board or something more complicated then it is a matter of waiting for replacement parts.

re: surge protector -- I have switched it on and off and I have also tried the receiver directly connected to another outlet. No dice either way.

On a slightly unrelated note... I was just starting to listen to the HDCD capablilities of this receiver. I was going through my cd collection looking for HDCD encoded discs. The first one I listend to was Jewel's Spirit CD. I was amazed at how much better it sounded. For the past 3 years or so, I have been mostly listening to mp3s via an audiotron/ipod etc or to cd's in my car. I had forgetten how good CD's can sound on a good home system.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I'm not surprised .. the 8000 was a piece of garbage !

I went through 2 8000's within 4 months before selling my third one (that was working .. for now) and moving on to an Integra DTR 8.3

My first one blew something .. with white smoke pouring out of the reciever, and the second one went through the same symptoms you are having now.

Don't get me wrong ... I had always loved H/K but as of recent times, their stuff has come down to the point of "when" it works ... (I had owned a flawless h/K 7000 before)

I don't think I'll be going back to H/K anytime soon. I had almost forgotten what "Made in Japan" means compared to "Made in China".

Sorry for the harshness, but that's my take on it ...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
THX-Mode,

Did they (HK or the service center) just replace your receiver both times without attempting to repair?

thinh

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hi Thinny,

Well, where I bought it from; Future Shop here in Canada (owned by Best Buy) I also bought the "extended" warranty. Under their gracious plan I was able to swap out my defective units for new ones from their stock.

However for the length of time that I had the 3rd one, I probably would have had to have gone through H/K servicing had anything happened on that reciever.

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
My experience with H/K gear has been poor. To make matters worse, I was working for JBL Int'l at the time so I had access to all HK gear. Needless to say, a number of amps and receivers had to go back for repairs, and when I did leave JBL, 6 months later my receiver died and within a year the amp died. Oddly enough, I bought my parents the cheapest HK stuff available and it's still working today after nearly 10 years of service. Go figure.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
When H/K transferred their manufacturing to the third world they had a lot of QC problems, especially with the AVR60 models. From my personal experience with the 510 and 520 they have made great strides in their QC and are probably on a par with other mass market audio companies. Actually, I find their refurb models (I have a 520 refurb now and my brother has a 510 refurb) are probably more reliable because they have been so thorougly checked. Also, through the years I have found H/K customer service much superior to most other mass market audio companies. They replaced my FL8450 CD player with the FL8550 which, despite its disc reading problems (which they fixed) is an incredible sounding unit thanks to its superior DACs.

Dsmith

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I dropped off the receiver today. The repairman said 1 to 2 weeks timeframe. I will post what was repaired when i get it back. Hopefully the info will help other forum members.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Got my AVR8000 back on 4-30-2003. It was a 10 day turn-around. He said the they had to repair the Power Supply unit.

I plugged it to make sure it powers up. It does. I have not hooked up the speakers or other components yet.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.