AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past 20 years I've had an NAD 3240PE powering an old pair of Allison CD6 speakers. The sound was fantastic, to me anyway.

Without remote capability, the NAD started feeling a little long in the tooth. So this month I sprung for a Harman Kardon AVR147.

I've still got the Allisons, so the HK's 5.1 is somewhat overkill unless I go 5.1 someday. I've set up the HK for stereo, surround off, "large" speaker setup, with the speaker levels at +10db.

The volume is plenty loud, and TV/DVDs sound ok, but music has absolutely zero punch. The only way to get even remotely full sound out of the speakers is to crank the HK way up. The NAD was always kept at near its lowest volume and it still gave off thumping bass.

I figured the HK would sound as good if not better than the old NAD, but I think I'm spoiled by my trusty mid-fi set up.

I'm beyond the return window, so I guess I'll be selling the HK. I was looking at the Cambridge Audio 340a...can anyone tell me if it might be closer to the NAD in terms of oomph and efficiency? Or maybe I'm doing something wrong with the HK.

I have a feeling the HK is just not made for semi-critical ears.

Thanks.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A partial follow-up for anyone else in a similar situation...

I had not hooked up S-Video to my TV to use the HK's OSD. A tip on another site mentioned that even if you have stereo-only set up, the receiver assumes you have a subwoofer. Entering the OSD let me turn off all but the L/R speakers. The bass is a bit punchier now.

If anyone knows any other settings I might deploy (aside from adding bass EQ) to get a fuller sound, I'd be much obliged. I admittedly know little about settings like crossover, etc.

I still lament the loss of my NAD. I'm wondering if using optical cables instead of the current RCAs would yield more than marginally better results.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts