AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am looking to spending 300-350 USD for a Receiver. I know there is at least one obvious difference, in the fact that the Pio is 6.1 while the harman kardon is 5.1

Both of them have a feature I am hooked on, EzSet or MCACC. I can get the Pio for 300 and the HK for 350.

Looking at the features, one would think the PIO is the better choice, but I would like to know how the ACTUAL power outpus is when comparing (which one is stronger in 5.1?) and which one SOUNDS BETTER?

I could not care less about 6.1 since I cannot fit another speaker, and this receiver is only supposed to hold me over for a couple of years anyway.

So, which one is the better receiver?

Thanks!

-Tom

·
Registered
4 Posts
I know that there is a tough choice between these two. I sell them both at my store (CC). While the Pio gives you more features it also gives you more distortion. I listen to both and for home theater and music the HK wins. I find that the lower end Pio's sacrifice sound for features. HK is also high current which will give you more consistent power for playing loud sections of music and for playing loud sections of music. The new HK's are some of the best that they have made in the last few years and they are also really impressive for the "amount of power." Go to http://www.harmankardon.com/technology/default.asp and read. It will tell you what they do that is a little different than most of their competitors in this price range. If you still need more proof go to Circuit City and listen to both on the same track of music. That will sell you on your pick.

Looking at the features, one would think the PIO is the better choice, but I would like to know how the ACTUAL power outpus is when comparing (which one is stronger in 5.1?) and which one SOUNDS BETTER?

Being that the HK is high current it is rated at that wattage with all channels on at the same time, the Pio is rated at its wattage with one channel on at a time. In other words the HK will send clean power to your speakers to get volume verses sending more distortion to your speakers to get volume(which can damage your speakers.) The sound will go cleaner and louder on the HK.

The best thing to do though is to listen to both.

I currently own the new HK AVR7200

subfan

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Subfan, Thanks! That is kind of what I suspected. I will definitely try to check them both out! I do care more about the quality and power ratings than the features (with the exception of having the receiver automatically adjust the volume level for the speakers :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have been trying to find the THD(total harmonic distortion) on the Pio. Can't find it(wonder why?). I know that the HK's distortion is .07%, hearable distortion is .1 and above. I would estimate the Pio to be at .14 or higher.(this is only for this model and is based on my previous experience with this end of Pioneer.) The high end of Pioneer are amazing for those Pioneer fans out there.

subfan

·
Registered
15,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tomes

Both of them have a feature I am hooked on, EzSet or MCACC. I can get the Pio for 300 and the HK for 350.
Just to point out something I learned today, EzSet does not set the sub level, but MCACC does. For the H/K the sub must be set manually with an external tone. It may not be a deal breaker, but I thought you should be informed.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Subfan, I guess I have to listen to them both. I don't know what level of speakers you have to go to, to hear a big difference either. I am thinking of buying Axioms or Home Theater Direct III.

Cschang, thanks for pointing that out!

If I could dig up the extra money, I would probably jump up to the Pio Elite 45tx... That has a really good MCACC, and should be at least on par with the HK in terms of quality and power. It's quite a bit more expensive though...

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can't find a refurbed 525, but I did see a refurbed 520z (I think it amplifies only 5 channels) for about USD550. I could buy the 525 for USD640 new though. My concern then, is that if I start spending that much money, I might as well get the Pio 45 for USD775, which has the superior MCACC technology, with Equalizer adjustment.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.