AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have this receiver? The HK AVR 435? I like the sound/look off the unit. Lots of nice features. I can't listen to it on my speakers though, the 65X 7 watts per channel has me second guessing this unit. Is anyone here unhappy with it? And why? Thanks!

·
Registered
155 Posts
I've had the 435 for about 2 weeks now. So far so good...it has a bit of a learning curve with the set up and EQ but after spending some time with it you get used to it.

I opted to get the 435 over the 635 mainly because I'm using it as a pre-amp. I figured I'd save the extra 100 bucks and not have the extra wattage and the OSD through component feature the 635 has. No biggie to me.

I'm really enjoying it so far.....I would say it sounds more "accurate" than my older Denon 2802 and the overall sound quality took some getting used to. The EQ smoothed everything out and integrated the low end better. However, since I was so used to it not being EQ'd I wasn't sure I liked what I was hearing, but after some time with it....I'm enjoying it more and more.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does the 65 watts X 7 seem to do a good job? It seems a little low on power on paper. I will be using it to power efficent klipsch rsx-5 and rsw-4 speakers with an rw-12 sub. Just want to make sure it can provide enough juice. Thanks!

·
Registered
12,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by psw757
Does the 65 watts X 7 seem to do a good job? It seems a little low on power on paper. I will be using it to power efficent klipsch rsx-5 and rsw-4 speakers with an rw-12 sub. Just want to make sure it can provide enough juice. Thanks!
HK power ratings are very conservative.. Using Klipsch loudspeakers which are very efficent, you should be fine..

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
According to my tracking info, 435's sitting on my doorstep now. Can't wait to get off work. Recently returned the HK 1005, which has about the same power as the 435. Plenty powerful w/ my efficient Ascends. Only went back because I found the 2005 for cheaper during Fry's fire sale. Now wanna compare the 2005 vs the 435 in my setup, since I found 'em for the same price. Mainly wanna see which I prefer; the power of the 2005 or the EQ of the 435.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I have the 430, same 65 x 7, literally rattles the windows and gets my couch creeping across the floor. HK wattage ratings are indeed conservative when compared to most other brands.

JBL e-80's, e-250, e-20's.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Quote:
gohd,

let me know what you think of the 435!
Will try. Going Angels/Sox game tonight (yay!), so gimme a couple days to play around with it. I love the sound of the 1005/2005, but am hoping the EQ on the 435 will be a noticeable improvement. But, honestly, I think I'll be hard-pressed to notice any major SQ differences.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Hey I had a 435/635 question.

How do you set it to play a CD in just plain old 2-channel mode W/OUT the sub and the mains as FULL range? I see in the manual that it says when in "stereo" mode a full range signal with no surround processing is sent but the sub is still getting some bass.

How do you by pass and just run your mains?

·
Registered
12,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper0103
Hey I had a 435/635 question.

How do you set it to play a CD in just plain old 2-channel mode W/OUT the sub and the mains as FULL range? I see in the manual that it says when in "stereo" mode a full range signal with no surround processing is sent but the sub is still getting some bass.

How do you by pass and just run your mains?

OK..

The 435 has multiple modes..

If Surround is OFF, then one can select with DSP ON where you get bass manager settings (Small/Large) or DSP OFF then the signal path is DIRECT and bypasses the DSP as a full a bandwidth signal..

·
Registered
840 Posts
Well, when I switch it to stereo and it says surround OFF it still shows the DSP indicator on the front panel and the sub is still working.

How exactly do you turn the DSP to OFF?

Thanks for the help Mcode!

·
Registered
12,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper0103
Well, when I switch it to stereo and it says surround OFF it still shows the DSP indicator on the front panel and the sub is still working.

How exactly do you turn the DSP to OFF?

Thanks for the help Mcode!
Hit the Surround Mode button again..

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Quote:
gohd,

let me know what you think of the 435!
Well, only had a few hours to play with it today, and so far, it's not a night and day SQ difference between the 435 and 2005. But, I didn't have the time/energy to do a level-matched A/B blah blah blah test (I'm not qualified to do as such anyway), so take everything FWIW.

If anything, I definitely noticed a difference between having the EQ 'On' and 'Off' on the 435. Most notable, the lows seemed tighter, and blended better with the overall sound. And, 'yes', the 435 can definitely play loud. I tried 2ch, SACD and a couple DVDs (U571, Nemo glass tapping scene, Saving Private Ryan, AOTC), and I didn't notice any noticeable distortion at high volume levels (sorry, didn't check SPLs). Overall, the EZSetEQ was easy to run and seemed to do a very good job in creating a very balanced overall sound (better than the Denon 2805, IMO).

Compared to the 2005, aside from it being about 2" taller and running hotter (no duh, right?) the only thing I missed was the ability to layer PLIIx over 5.1 analog. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

One complaint, but I'm sure it's just a settings issue, I couldn't get the crossover setting to stick while running EZSetEQ in "manual" mode (which is supposed to allow one to manually set xovers prior to running the autosetup).

Overall, I like the 435. IMO, can't go wrong with either the 435 or 2005, so I really don't know which one's going back to the store. But, I think in my smallish room (~2200 cuft), the benefits of the EQ will outweigh the need for more power.

Hope this helps, psw757.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The 435 has PLIIx doesn't it? I thought you could play music in 5.1 surround with this mode. or would that be the logic 7 mode on this.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
It has PLIIx, but couldn't layer PLIIx over my SACDs playing through the 6ch analog inputs (that is have 5.1 multichannel analog to play as 7.1). Not a big deal. Some don't like to 'process' SACD/DVDA into more than 5.1 channels anyway. Just another minor difference I noticed from the 2005.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Having played with the 435 a few more days, the 2005 is going back. The bass is a tad bit tighter/cleaner with the 435's EQ.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.