AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I have my receiver setup correctly, but I just wanted to double-check.

The crossover settings for bass management include a subwoofer crossover. Is this a high-pass filter? If so, and if I understood the manual correctly, it should be set the same as the highest crossover for my speakers.

IOW, my fronts have a x-over of 80, center and rears are 120. So the sub should also be 120.

If there's something on the LFE channel in a 5.1 soundtrack above 120, does it get thrown away or redirected to the fronts?

Thanks!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Do you have your fronts setup as "large" or "small"? The way most DD & DTS receivers work is that all LFE info goes to the sub as well as anything below the crossover setting that would have been directed to a speaker identified as "small".

Can we just play the Leafs all year?

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, yea all the speakers are set to small.

Seeing the crossover value for the sub kinda threw me for a loop. There's an extra piece of literature with the manual that warns about setting the crossover for the sub lower than the setting for your speakers. This will produce a hole in the sound since no speaker would get the frequencies in the range between the two values.

My main concern is inadvertently knee-capping the output from the LFE channel (not just frequencies redirected from the other speakers).

(OT) - apparently the Leafs have the same problem with the Flyers that the Flyers have with NJ. They don't seem to bring their A-game, and every little mistake ends up in the net. I'll take it tho! :)

·
Registered
265 Posts
Unless I'm mistaken, anything directed as LFE will get sent to the sub regardless of the crossover setting. The crossover setting is there for the sub to takeover the low frequencies for the "small" speakers in the config. So, any hole created by a mis-set crossover would be on the LF/RF/LR/RR channels but not on the LFE.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Just crank your crossover on your sub as high as possible or disable it if you can and let your receiver do the crossover entirely.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I appreciate the responses, but I'd really like a 525 owner to chime in. The x-over setting I'm referring to is on the receiver itself. It's part of their triple-crossover system.

I know that my sub's x-over should be off.

Back to my original question - is this a high-pass filter on the receiver?

·
Registered
303 Posts
I have a 325, so I have the same base management. I have struggled with this setting as well.

I believe it is a high pass filter. That being said, having it set at 120hz will not cause you any troubles. The LFE is a brick wall at 120hz, it does not allow for any roll off. Because of that, engineers will roll off the soundtrack prior to reaching that 120hz limit. They don't want anything to be cut-off.

What would happen if you set your crossovers at 80 all around and then set your high pass to 80? I have no idea. What would happen to the LFE above 80? I have no idea. I wish I did know. I would assume that the HK would send that info to the mains. Why throw it out?

BTW, why is your center set up at 120? It would be better if you could set your LCR all at the same crossover. When I first got my 325, I wanted to "take advantage" of HK's variable crossovers, but I was told that it's better to have your front speakers all set the same. After playing with the settings, I agree. Try them all set at 100hz - grab a setup disc and run some frequency sweeps to make sure you don't have a hole.

It it's not possible, you may want to add a new center channel to your upgrade list. If your center channel and mains vary that much in freq response, it sounds like you could benefit from a better matched center.

Regards,

Karl

·
Registered
12,370 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by flyersfan
I think I have my receiver setup correctly, but I just wanted to double-check.

The crossover settings for bass management include a subwoofer crossover. Is this a high-pass filter? If so, and if I understood the manual correctly, it should be set the same as the highest crossover for my speakers.

IOW, my fronts have a x-over of 80, center and rears are 120. So the sub should also be 120.

If there's something on the LFE channel in a 5.1 soundtrack above 120, does it get thrown away or redirected to the fronts?

Thanks!
Your understanding is correct..

The way the software for the AVR 525 is written, the Low Pass filter has separate settings but note... that this applies ONLY to the low frequency signals being routed from any other speaker set to Small.

The way the bass manager works is that any speaker set to Small like your Front (@80Hz), Center/Surrounds (@120Hz), this frequency setting actually sets the High Pass filter for each designated speaker and also.. the Low Pass filter so the frequencies below the designated frequency is added to the LFE (no X-Over frequency) signal. Then this is output through the Sub Out. Key point is that if you set this filter frequency point lower than one of your speakers X-over frequency then you can create a "hole", and could possibly loose these frequencies. On the latest HK AVRs, rather than having a frequency setting one selects which speaker the Low Pass filter should be set to such as the Front, Center or Surrounds...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.