AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like to listen to my speakers relatively loud and would run my AVR525 for up to 4 hours at a time. The fan would kick on and the receiver wouldn't get too hot. Well today I ran it for about an hour and the receiver shut off. Turned it back on after a few minutes and it shot off again after around 10 minutes. Then I noticed the fan wasn't kicking on any more. I've only had it for around 1.5 months with less than 50 hours of time on it. Has anyone else had a fan go bad in theirs or is there a reason it's not turning on?

Also are there any products out there designed to cool a receiver, like an aftermarket fan product? I have it sitting on its own table so there's nothing within 3 feet of it to stop airflow, so I know that's not a problem. Thanks!

·
Registered
167 Posts
I can't comment about the fan issue, but I, as well as many others on this forum, have experienced the "problem" of receiver shutting off after few minutes of use. In most cases, the "problem" was the speaker connection. I would double and tripple check your cabling and MAKE SURE there is no short...

·
Registered
83 Posts
Regardless what else you do you should have the fan repaired. There are some benefits to having amps in racks that are themselves fan-cooled. Fans are cheap, and quiet ones are not hard to find. Getting rid of the ground loops can be more aggravating.

·
Registered
576 Posts
If you have that receiver on an open table, it should never have had the fan kick on to begin with. I have one that never has kicked on and it's under the TV with only a few inches of space above the top (the back of the receiver is not restricted in any way, but there is not much room on the sides). I have run my speakers quite loud (but will admit, they are pretty efficient).

It sounds like a defective unit. Call HK customer service. They should be able to advise you.

After re-reading this, I decided to edit. Comes from writing at 4:00 in the morning.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.