AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a NOOB! Been lurking for a little while, trying to figure out what I should get.

I had my sights on a HK CP15 system, but see it's only 50 watts/channel. I read some of the posts around and saw quite a few good comments about the ONKYO 780's which is 110 watts/channel?

Does anyone know how the CP15 at $750 would compare with the 780 system at $500?

I am not against spending more money if need be on a different HTIB system, or even separates. I have looking at the HK CP25 and CP35, but still the total wattage of the systems is lower than that of the Onkyo 780 system. Will the HK systems perform well?

If someone has some advice on this it would be greatly appreciated. Most likely I am going to go with separates (under $1500), however I would like to find out as much as I can about these HTIB systems as I can before I shell out the extra $$.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
wattage means nothing, especially considering that everything that leaves the HK factory is rated below it's actual output, their 50 watt per channel receivers will blow your mind...

i say go with sperates, especially considering you're willing to spend as much as $1500 if needed, and you can normally put together something very good for under $1000. for example, a level 2 system from HTD and a good receiver will be fine, and you can put that together for under $1000 or so. depending on the receiver, and whether you want a 5.1 system or a 7.1 system, of course...

http://www.harmanaudio.com/search_br...0235-Z&status=

http://www.htd.com/leveltwosets.html

for starters...

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
Agree...

Nice links...Check out the Rocket ELTs too, www.********** .

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well let me clarify things a little more on what I want to get.

I have 5.1 system now that i bought about 6 years ago. The Sony HCD-S300. Not so great of a system, but it has worked OK for me.

I do like the small satellite speakers, as I don't really have a place to put bookshelf or floorstanders.

As far as 5.1 or 7.1 goes, I could use some advice on what kind of difference I'm really going to hear between a 5,6, or 7.1 surround. I liked the idea of the HK being 6.1 so I only need to add one speaker wire in the wall.

So here are my goals:

1) Want to keep small speakers

2) Would like to TRY and keep the price under $1k but willing to go over

3) A system that is at least somewhat upgradeable (unlike my Sony)

Also, I like the idea of buying something through CC or Crutchfield so I can take advantage of 6,12,18 mo. special financing :) That is actually the reason I started to even look at new systems. I can't afford to just go spend a grand +/- on this right now.

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
The only problem with the HKs or Onkyo is the OEM speakers. The HK speakers are small, but I have no idea as to the quality. I have heard the 35 setup, but I wasn't impressed, in fact I doubt it sounds better than the Onkyo (smaller speakers though). If you want satelite speakers vs. bookshelves there is a tradeoff in SQ in the midrange and you need a good sub.

Take a look at;

Rocket tykes, www.**********

Hsu Ventriloquist, www.hsuresearch.com (need a receiver)

Athena Micra 6, BB, Crutchfield, various places online( receiver)

Athena Pt.5, same (receiver and sub)

Polk RM6750 and some other packages, check dealer from their site Polkaudio.com. I believe they are deeply discounting their RM packages right now (receiver) I think CC carries them as well.

All of these will fit your budget and if you pickup a refurbed HK235 receiver, you'll plenty of power and upgradeability.

BTW, if you have the room for it 7.1 is the way to go. I don't in my 18X14 room (placement issues). For music I listen 5.1 and movies 6.1, but I honestly don't notice the rear center channel, except during dedicated 6.1 sources like LOTR/DTS 6.1 Discrete.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
the main difference between 5.1/6.1/7.1 are how many rear speakers you have...

for starters, don't bother with a 6.1 system, they've been phased out for some time now. i would recommend that you start off with a really nice 5.1 system first, then if you have enough space to mount the 2 rear surrounds correctly, expand to a 7.1 system later on. if you don't have enough room for a 7.1 system, DON'T DO IT, a maximized 5.1 will sound better than a 7.1 system that's not maximized...

as far as the special financing goes, i do understand your needs, but honestly store like BB and CC don't have anything great for a decent price. anything by JBL at BB is more than double what you can get it for on the net, and anything by Infinity is going to be considerably more at CC than what you can get it for on the net. i recommend looking for a new credit card from a bank like Bank of America that offers no interest until July of next year. that's what i just got, and that way you can get anything you want from anyone you want, and not have to be limited to stock on hand...

also, since you're looking for something small, i would only really recommend the Rocket Tykes, as far as small speakers go i hear they sound great. i would recommend getting them with a good receiver, you're still looking at about $700 or so for them and the HK i mentioned above. if you can't spend over $500, get the bundle they're offering with the speakers and the Kenwood receiver, it's not a great receiver but it's great for $100 more than just the speakers...

http://www.**********/products_catego...akers&brand=20

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
First off, thanks for all of your help.

I came to the realization today that I need to set up another 5.1 then go for 7.1 later on..... So I think I've decided to still go with the HK receiver (235)

What would your recommendation be between the Rocket Tykes and Ventriloquist systems? Ventriloquist systems come with either the STF-2 10" sub or STF-3 12"

Is there a huge difference in those two subs to merit a $190 increase in price? I do enjoy feeling the bass when watching a movie, so maybe I should think about the upgrade?

Also, does anyone know anything about a Cambridge SoundWorks MovieWorks 208 system?

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
Hsu is noted as having the best or 2nd best subs in their class. Depending on your room size the 2 would probably be fine, but most bassheads would tell you to always get the bigger sub :D

I really can't point you to one vs. the other as I've never heard them. Each of the ones mentioned by 516 or myself have gotten rave reviews by owners (duh), so check with their respective forums, ask some questions, close your eyes and decide.

You might want to ask pointed questions, Tykes vs. Micras or Hsu vs. Tykes or Cambridge. Somebody likely has heard them both and can answer objectively.

BTW if you go to the Harman store on ebay and bid on the refurbed 235 you might get a better deal. I've seen them go as low as $230 (not when I bid), you might be able to climb the food chain and snag a 330 or 430 for a great price.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
i say go with the Tykes. HSU does make excellent subwoofers, but i've never personally heard anything special about any of their speakers, as opposed to the Tykes that have gotten excellent reviews since their release. i'm not saying they're not good, i've never heard them, but normally if something turns heads you would hear about it as soon as possible...

and Ron's right about the HK235. it's an excellent choice, and you could probably snipe it on eBay from the Harmon Direct store for about $50 or so off what they sell it for on their site. it should come with the same warranty too, but be sure to ask them before the end of the aution, just to be on the safe side...

good luck with everything...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys for the info....

I have decided to upgrade from the CP15 HTIB but not too much.

I guess the WAF kept the price down for me for now :(

I figured I would go with something I could easily upgrade and then put the old stuff in the bedroom.

I did see the HK AVR235 on harman's refurb site for $298 but then add $77 for shipping...Anyway here is what I came up with:

HK AVR35 $328.50 B+H Video

HK DVD22 $173.95 B+H Video

Dayton 12" sub $138.60 Partsexpress

Athena Point 5's $199.88 Amazon

Grand total is approx $890 w/shipping

Do you think I'll be relatively happy with this setup, while also having options for decent upgrades in the future?

It's definitely going to be nicer than my crap Sony 'dream' system!

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
It's a keeper...

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
that's fine, but you don't need to spend that much on a dvd player, especially for the sole reason of matching your receiver. honestly, the phillips progressive scan dvd player for $69 would be fine...

i would personally recommend putting the extra money, which is more that $100 in your case, into the speakers instead of wasting it on a dvd player just to match your receiver. that's just my opinion though, and you may cetianly disagree...

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
Your choice of player is up to you. I'm sure the HK is a good one. If you are going to spend $180 though, make sure it plays at least DVD Audio. It's a very nice high rez music format and worth the extra $100. Good universal player (DVD A and SACD) go for quite a bit more.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.