AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 163 Posts

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
Saw that Frys ad, didja? $1300 off MSRP is pretty tempting...

·
Banned
13,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yup yup :) .. though I've personally never audtioned HK receivers. I just sold my Yamaha receiver.

Also, does 100watt on a yamaha = 100watt on an HK?

Will the extra power make my speakers sound better at low levels?

Differences in sound characteristics?

·
Banned
13,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ah nevermind. after reading through threads here it seems there have been a lot of issues.. plus the power isn't comparable to the analog HK models.

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
Ah come on... be the first on the block. I'm looking at HK analogs right now trying to snatch one from Harman Direct.

·
Banned
13,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the analogs sound like a much better way to go in regards to the HK brand.

from what i've read on here a 1watt of analog HK power is better than 1watt of digital HK power.. maybe after a couple of revisions they'll have it down better.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by briankmonkey
the analogs sound like a much better way to go in regards to the HK brand.

from what i've read on here a 1watt of analog HK power is better than 1watt of digital HK power.. maybe after a couple of revisions they'll have it down better.
hmmm.. i dont think its scientifically possible :) A watt is a watt :)

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Even @ $499, you could buy a few up and sell 'em on eBay. I'm sure those turkeys will reward you well with bids that exceed your purchase price. :D

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
I'll be one to recommend it, esp at $500. I have the lower powered 1005 and really like it. Plenty of power with my efficient speakers. The 2005 outta be even better. The HK beat a Denon 985 I recently tried. Smoother to my ears and better features.

·
Registered
321 Posts
So ok I succumbed to the dark side and dropped by Fry's after work to look at the sweet DPR-2005 deal. What I ended up instead was a floor model of the DPR-1005 for $200. Looks clean so I figured what the heck. One question though, Fry's claimed that the unit only carries 90 days part and labor warranty from HK. Can anyone confirm? Thanks!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Saw the ad for $499 at Fry's; off work at 11:00 AM and checked out one Fry's all sold out. Went for a 35 min drive and found 6 left and got one. For that price, no complaint at all; even a Jvc Hybrid Digital Am sound better than my Yamaha TopArt 100 watt per channel (5.1).

So, I thought what the heck... has a 30 day return policy with Fry's... Kinda like the simple, sleak design to match with the rest of the components...

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Why is it $599 in SoCal area? Pretty much sold out all over. Had to pay $599 even for floor model, which appeared in great shape. After quickie calibration, I noticed a quite loud fan noise. Probably gotta return it? Anyone else notice the same? The 1005 I also have is dead quiet. BTW, what's the build dates, if you do have a similar fan-type hum?

·
Premium Member
6,884 Posts
Editorial comment: this thread highlights the reason I stay away from most Harman Audio stuff. How does someone feel who paid $1600 for one of these when they're now going for $499?

And, what's the markup on this brand, 200%? Unfortunately for early and middle adopters, they have a history of doing this. For those who paid $499 for one of these puppies, have you considered that that's all they're really worth?

End of editorial comment.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
That's capitalism, my friend. I'm no Warren Buffet, but how we value things depends on a lot of factors, least of which is the cost of manufacturing something. Or, at least that's the way it seems. Look at the housing market now in LA, NY, etc.

Sorry if this doesn't make sense. It's early on the West Coast.

·
Premium Member
6,884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gohd
That's capitalism, my friend. I'm no Warren Buffet, but how we value things depends on a lot of factors, least of which is the cost of manufacturing something. Or, at least that's the way it seems. Look at the housing market now in LA, NY, etc.

Sorry if this doesn't make sense. It's early on the West Coast.
Apology accepted. What's also capitalism is my avoiding the brand like the plague: although I would never consider audio equipment an investment, I sure don't want to pay $1600 for an HK product that they blow out at $499 six months later. I would feel as if I had been ripped off...big time.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Yup. HK's MSRPs are pretty silly. But, some people bite at that price, so that's why they do it I guess. Plus, pro installers can tell their gullible customers that they're getting a $1600 AVR & they both end up happy.

·
Registered
8,171 Posts
And gohd said "Plus, pro installers can tell their gullible customers that they're getting a $1,600 AVR & they both end up happy."

This rung a bell about a particular Forum member. There now seems to be a vested interest.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Geez, cant believe that any thread regarding h/k, turns so fast into h/k bashing thread :)

Re $1700->$500, ppl forgot that the plasma tv's (panasonic, fujitsu, etc) drop less than 1/2 price in under 12 months. Does it suddenly make them inferior products ? The MSRP and firesales are part of free markets. May be frys is taking a loss OR selling on behalf of H/K. I dont think a store like frys ever takes a loss by itself, its always the manf. which ends up taking a loss.

1 - 20 of 163 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.