Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
EDIT: Subject name change. Read below.

I waited around patiently until the HK DVD 101 became available, and ordered it right away to look nice on top of a new HK AVR525 recently added to the setup. I almost laughed when I watched a pixelated, washed-out Superbit flick (same pixelation with non-Superbit Star Wars 2). The PQ on this unit is unacceptable, unfortunately. Still shots look great, but the last time I checked, there's quite a bit of motion in movies.

I was using the Toshiba SD-5700 prior to setting up the HK, and the Tosh PQ is FAR FAR better. Of course, I'm sitting just about 12 feet from a Pioneer 58" RPTV, so it's easy to pick out flaws.

Anyway, if you value your PQ, don't even bother with the HK DVD 101. I've heard it's a rebadged HK DVD 25, so be wary of that unit as well. We spend too much $ on high quality cables and monitors to have a sub-par DVD source.

Shame on HK.

Michael

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Hmm. I have been researching the 25 and have not heard anything but GOOD comments on it, pro reviews and user reviews.

In fact, I emailed EVERY person who reviewed the DVD 25 on another review site and every reply so far is positive - in that they still own the player and still have high praise for it. Unless they are all lying, that is a bold statement FOR the H&K player. Their email responses are below.

How many people here jump from player to player constantly ;) even if the one they have fits their needs?

Maybe you are missing something in the setup? You sure you have progressive enabled?

I plan on trying the DVD 25 soon unless I get a wave of valid negatives on it.

THESE ARE EMAILS SENT TO ME REGARDING THE H&K DVD-25:

"I still stand by my review. It just keeps humming along and never even gives a peep. It gives a great picture on my Toshiba 65HDX82 widescreen and works perfectly with a higher midrange Denon/PSB 7.1 system. The only thing that could be better is the layer change is somewhat noticeable but that's really nitpicking."

"Still lives up to all I rated it to be. I have a projector tv and it was very hard to find a dvd player to match up to my tv. The HK fit the bill. Picture is superb still my belden wires are now broken in and audio phenomenal. The only dvd player that surpasses the 25 in its price range and features well it isn't fair to say that because the denons are way more expensive but the hk's only rival in my opinion is and I hate to admit is the panasonic rp82. You can find these usually on e-bay alot. I love the hk its heavy not flimsy, plays flawed disks with no problems and an all around great dvd player."

"Yes, I still have nothing but high praise for this unit. It has not missed a beat since I've owned it!"

"Great unit. Great quality. Good price. I only wish it did stills (JPEGs). Error correction good on disks with bad/corrupted missing blocks. I have a DVD I tried to rip on my PC. Software caught the bad block on defective disk and halted, yet the Harman Kardon DVD doesn't skip a single frame when it plays the same disk at the same spot. The weight of this unit is almost twice that of a comparable JVC XV-s502/s500 I purchased as a gift. Really sturdy! Great price for a component quality DVD. All the mass- market units range about $129-$179 at discount or instead the higher end component DVD's all start around $500/$600/$700+ and many don't play MP3's, CD-RW's and other formats. This is a good mid-point price, component, value choice. Great features, great audio/video, Test picture to adjust TV quality, Mutli-function remote, Harman Kardon quality are all plusses!"

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Clearly I'm a moron. I failed to specify Progressive within the setup. Will try again and see how this thing performs now that I'm informed.

Thanks!

Michael

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Happens to us all!!:D

Hopefully you will have positive results!

Let us all know, as info on these players, while all good, seems to be hard to find!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well it looks great in Progressive mode, but I've already found a major glitch with the unit that I'm not too psyched about.

When viewing LotR Extended Ed., if you skip forward to chapter 28 (a black screen), and power the unit off using the remote (before it says "Insert Disc 2"), the thing goes nuts.

It starts powering on and off extremely fast, and the tray ejects about a milimeter with each flicker of the power. It looks and sounds awful. In fact, the soft power button on the unit becomes totally useless during this state of mechanical retardation. Finally, one must then manually push the tray back into place.. which is like nails scraping on a chalkboard for those of us who treat our equipment like children.

Does this happen to anybody with a 25?

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
I was wondering what made you do the procedure you say caused it to glitch?

Does it do this if you simply change the disk?

Does it do this when powering off the unit on other disks?

Seems a bit bizarre........

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't remember exactly what caused me to turn off the unit at that very moment. It took me completely by surprise.

The unit functions perfectly under any other circumstances (so far), except for that strange LotR glitch. Awfully strange.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
What ratings would you give the player on its ability to do video based stuff? Like extra features on movies, or TV shows that are on DVD?

The video arena seems to be where most players fall off the train.

Thanks in advance!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.