AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to buy an HK AVR 245 in probably about 6 months. The AVR 245 features the EZSet+ functionality which can be used to automatically set speaker levels, delay, and crossover points. HK's higher end modles feature EZSet/EQ which also does room EQ in addition to all the features of EZSet+.

I was able to find the 245 for around $400. The cheapest model that supports EZSet/EQ is the 445 which goes for around $800 which is around the same price as the 645. The 345 would be perfect as it is supposed to support EZSet/EQ but it has not yet been released (although it was announced). The extra power the 445 and the 645 give me would be nice, but I have been told that the 245 would be fine for the 75W Klipsch speakers I am looking at (RB-51 Home Theater System). Other than the EZSet/EQ and the extra power, there are no reasons for me to upgrade from the 245.

I would like to know if the EZSet/EQ functionality will provide a noticeable sound quality improvement over EZSet+. I know this is a very subjective question, but your input would be helpful. I would especially like to hear from people who have owned HK receivers with both EZSet+ and EZSet/EQ, preferably driving the same speakers.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I went from a HK 235 (no eq) to a 635 (with EQ) and really like what the eq does to the sound. the bass is cleaned up extensively and dialog clarity is improved a lot. music sounds crisper too.

the eq really is worth it. Maybe look into the 340 which also has eq.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm... it looks like the HK AVR 247 will feature EZSet/EQ and is due out in April. That is before I plan to buy, so I might just wait for that, although HK does not seem to be very good at keeping the dates they announce in their press releases. I don't blame them though, as long as they release high quality stuff..

·
Registered
105 Posts
I've come across a really good deal on an HK AVR 245 (just kidding...corporate accomodation), and I'm ready to pull the trigger. Is there anything this receiver won't do for me? I might even buy 2, one for the main viewing room and one for my bedroom. I know I'm not going to really be able to use it for the ideal whole house receiver (no A-Bus just rear channel assignables) and I'm not getting the EZ EQ, but is there any reason not to buy one (or two) of these at $300 a piece?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Check that....with the 247 offering EZSet/EQ and more multi-room options, is it a better idea to wait? It seems the price will be lower, but my deal may still be better. The other thing that's holding me up is all of the buttons and little panels on the fronts of the 240-series that are absent from higher models. *sigh*

I'll make up my mind eventually. Besides, I'm just talking to myself here. Hehe.

·
Registered
29,326 Posts

Quote:
The other thing that's holding me up is all of the buttons and little panels on the fronts of the 240-series that are absent from higher models.

Does that mean you like the little buttons or don't like them? They're on the higher up models, just behind a flip down door.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.