AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've narrowed down my 30% music / 70% HT receiver choices to the HK630 (still waiting to hear if the dropout issued will be fixed), Denon 3803, wait for the Denon 3805 to be released in March, or the Pioneer Elite 53TX (possibly more than I want to spend).

I'll be driving either Axiom Epic 60 system (M60 towers/VP150/QS8) or Rocket 550/200 or 100/150s in a 5.1 setup and in a 25' x 18' room with 14 foot ceilings. Will be using an SVS 25-31 PCi with whatever speaker set I get.

Would appreciate opinions as to which system people prefer based on the different features offered, repair history/problems, and which receivers have most current technology with less potential to be outdated in near future. I can get the HK630 and Denon 3803 for about $700, 3803 for $950 and not sure about the Pioneer yet (still need to find an authorized dealer that will negotiate off of list).

Sul

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
....bump. All, I really need some input on this.

There are a lot of separate threads on the Denon, Pioneer and HK receivers butI'm really looking to know why you decided on one receiver over another if you were considering similar units to me.

I'm no audiophile so I doubt I'll be able to discern esoteric differences such as "warmth" of sound and "brightness". Just want the best features and quality overall, understanding there is always some give and take between models. Thanks!

Sul

·
Registered
218 Posts
Ok, since no one chimed in.. I'll see if I can throw something in the ring here. Although, if you go back and search the threads using the receiver names and models you mentioned, invariably.. all the models will be discussed in all the threads in one aspect or another.

I chose the Denon 3803. I was looking at the HK630, the HK7200, the Pioneer 53/5 txi, and the Yamaha 1400/2400.

Heres what I saw that made a difference to me.

HK630: I'm not a big fan of inputs on the front of a receiver. Combine this with the fact that it didn't have as many digital inputs as others, it fell off my list. I have many components that use optical inputs, and I dindt want to have to route one to the front panel. Also, the audio drop out issue was a big 'bo-bo' factor for me.

HK7200: Too big for my rack. There are great deals on this flagship receiver, but just wouldnt work for me. Of course, now I'm getting a home built with an inwall rack, so it will probably fit in 6 months. Oh well.

Yamaha Models: I didn't like the way they looked and sounded, however it seems to have tons of 'use-ability' and with DPLIIX and the mic system, is somewhat futureproof [if thats possible]

Pioneer Models: Very Big. But I heard they had some repair problems [I can't document this, so I wont stick 'foot in mouth' be elaborating' Plus. I didn't like the way they sounded with my speakers.

Denon 3803: Tons of optical inputs, 100 mhz component switching with 2 component inputs [for HDTV] ,s-video to component upconversion. Decent menus, crap remote.

Denon 3805: THREE component inputs, upconversion, optional mic setup. DPLIIx [I think, but could be wrong] Tons of digital inputs.

If I had to choose all over again, I'd get the 3803 or the 3805. If I had the extra 250, like you might.. I'd get the 3805 just for the extra component input.

Monte

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Monte-thanks. I've spent the past 2 hours reading various threads and user manuals on my choices. Is upconversion different on the 3803 vs 3805? I want to get the most out of my HD tv without signal degradation.

DPLIIx is not a big factor to me. 3805 has 1 more component input than 3803 I believe-Is that a big factor considering I will be getting an OTA HD tuner and will have coax cable from Comcast and a DVD palyer in the system. Are the component inputs on the 3803 and 3805 both defined as "wideband" or "HDTV ready"?

I wish I had and engineering background instead of a finance background.

·
Registered
507 Posts
If the 53TX / 55Txi is too muck $$, whay are you considering the 3803? It's the same $$ as the 53TX.

The 3805 is comming out soon so Denon might drop the price in a few months on the 3803. However, the msrp on the 3805 is more than the 3803 I believe. The xxx05 would be the wepon of choice.

I, myself, couldn't wait. I went with the 55TXi because my usage is 99% HT and 1% audio. If my usage habits were any different, or the 3805 was available now, I would have chosen it.

The 53 / 55 have more features than the 3803...more bang for the buck.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Milenkod, I had a typo in my first post. I can get the 3803 for $650 today. The dealer is telling me I can get the 3805 for about $950 when available.

I see where etronics has the 53txi for $700 delivered but I was under the impression that Elites purchased online are not warrantied by Pioneer. I need a warranty and my local B&M will not sell the 53txi for less than $1,000. I prefer to be around the $700 level unless I'm getting substantial value/extra features by moving up to a $1,000 unit.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I think I am getting the 3803. The guy I am getting it from said that I have to buy if for $999. I plan on using Gallo A'Diva for L,R,C and Rear SpeakerCraft 8" Aimable for the surround with a Triad InWall Bronze 6 Sub. I know little about this so I am asking if this sounds resonable.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
GabeNo, $999 is list and since the 3803 is being replaced by the 3805 in Feb or March, many retailers are heavily discounting the 3803. If you go with the 3803, you should not pay more than $750 in my opinion. Tweeter offered me a discount today without me even asking.

Sul

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Hi Sullly11,

I arrived later, but anyway let me respond some of your questions:

a) 3803 and 3805 upconversion features are exactly the same. As far as I know, the only receiver that enhances normal upconversion video feature , (i.e. from composite/S-video to component, no upgrading in video quality, just convenience), will be the new H/K 7300, which will upconvert ANY video signal to progressive 480p signals through component connection by means of a great Faroudja processor.

b) 3803 can pass 480p and 1080i signals through component cables without sweating. But in progressive mode you can not have OSD.

c) 3803 is a great receiver, specially for HT. IMHO, it is the best receiver for HT performance if compared to other receivers in the same league (H/K 630, Yamaha 2400, which I recently auditioned just for curiosity). Nevertheless, for stereo auditioning the 630 is very hard to beat, and it is more powerful than 3803 when driving 7 channels. 3803 and Yamaha 2400 have more or less the same punch when driving 7 channels.

c) May be there is no reason to pay more than say USD 800 for 3803 as 3805 will soon hit the shelves.

d) If you're not too anxious, I think the 3805 deserves the waiting. It do carry DPLIIx decoding capabilities onboard, and has an autosetup calibration, somewhat similar to YPAO or MCAAC (as far as I understand). But it will cost you some $ 250 more the the 3803.

I hope this helps! :)

·
Registered
12,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JorgeLopez11

a) 3803 and 3805 upconversion features are exactly the same. As far as I know, the only receiver that enhances normal upconversion video feature , (i.e. from composite/S-video to component, no upgrading in video quality, just convenience), will be the new H/K 7300, which will upconvert ANY video signal to progressive 480p signals through component connection by means of a great Faroudja processor.
Regarding the Harman/Kardon AVR 7300 its Faroujda processor does far more than just video upconversion.. Note that there are several dfifferent Faroujda processors but HK chose to use the most expensive one (FL2300) in the AVR 7300..

It includes scaling, aspect ratio, film mode, film edit mode, adapative noise reduction. Each source input can have a different profile for its settings plus it can be tweaked for different type displays like direct vu, LCD, PDP and projection. Also it will auto detect which video port is busy so for easy set-up and best performance..

A remarkable breakthrough.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
M Code,

It looks like 7300 it an interesting receiver with CS49400 DSP, Faroujda processor, etc. What about DACs and OPAs (my usual question) do you know which ones it uses? ;) I promise, I will say no words about them :D.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Quote:
Regarding the Harman/Kardon AVR 7300 its Faroujda processor does far more than just video upconversion.. Note that there are several dfifferent Faroujda processors but HK chose to use the most expensive one (FL2300) in the AVR 7300..

It includes scaling, aspect ratio, film mode, film edit mode, adapative noise reduction. Each source input can have a different profile for its settings plus it can be tweaked for different type displays like direct vu, LCD, PDP and projection. Also it will auto detect which video port is busy so for easy set-up and best performance..

A remarkable breakthrough.
Thanks M Code. All these 7300 additional video features (besides its huge power) are the main reasons why I haven't bought a Rotel RMB-1075 for my 3803 :D

In fact I am willing to wait six more months in order to take a thorough look at the 7300. The only thing that bugs me is that if it convinces me, perhaps I'll have to pay more than $3,500 for it here in Mexico :(

·
Registered
12,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Gordon McGregor
M Code,

It looks like 7300 it an interesting receiver with CS49400 DSP, Faroujda processor, etc. What about DACs and OPAs (my usual question) do you know which ones it uses? ;) I promise, I will say no words about them :D.
OK..

I will do a little diggin to see if I can come up with more component details for the 7300.. ;)

Also you mite want to check out the DPR 2005 which uses the D2Audio module which is very, very interesting..

Like switchable output filters for different impedances by OSD, also the amplifiers will deliver its rated power (120Wx7) for 5 minutes ALL channels driven, something no other digital amplifier will do.. :rolleyes:

The audio DSP goes rite into the D2Audio module... no A/D conversion ;)

Digital-to-Digital as you know any type of conversion can add some audible degradation.. :)

But then if you have alot bits..

Maybe no biggie.. :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.