Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I finally received my Samsung DLP HLM 507W on Friday. The order was placed on the 1st through a NY company and delivered promptly. As the subject line says, my feelings are pretty mixed now -

excited - to have the TV after days of research & wait

exhausted - reading the various threads on this forum about pq, tweaking, compatible dvd players, hdtv tuners, htpc and what not.

confused - on how to get the best picture quality out of this TV, how to approach the tweaks with so many threads on the HLM, HLN 437, 507 & 617.

The details i have gathered from the box & service menu of my TV:

Model HLM 507WX/XAA - T58531DW (unlike iceman who received the HLN model, i recieved the HLM through the same NY dealer).

Firmware version: 204

Mfg: Dec 10, 2002
FLI2300
DNIe - see on both SM & remote

The TV alongwith the 5050 stand are just so pleasing to look at. Coming to the initial PQ, i have only 2 sources to compare right now, Comcast analog cable in Dallas & a Pioneer DVD player connected with the component cable included with the Samsung(really cheap quality). I had no big hopes on the cable feed since it was an eye sore on my older Sony CRT 27" & it doesn't perform any better on the DLP. I also have issues with either a ground loop or a really bad cable feed into my apt which creates a lot of disturbance on NBC & a few other channels.

I checked out 2 movies, X-men & The Matrix and the latter had much better PQ on the Samsung out of the box. After reading other posts on the DCDi performance with interlaced, i had expected much better but i am dealing with an untweaked TV connected with really cheap cables, so i think i can't expect too much. Ok, now this forum which has provided me with so much info(sometimes too much) has to show me the way to get the best out of my TV.

1. Since, the internals are same as the HLN series, should i just follow the HLN tweak thread ? So far the only posts have dealt with gamma level and nothing more. Would it be worthwhile to try out settings from the HLM tweak thread ? Or will i be threading on thin ice ?

2. More importantly, is it worthwhile adjusting the Cable picture at all ? I have been searching for OTA-only tuners (visited 4 BBuys, 2 tweeter & 2 Ult. Elec. today) in open-boxes and hope to acquire the sir t151 on ebay by next week. Should i just wait and start tweaking with the component input ?

3. I would like to buy a DVD with DVI-out like the Bravo D1/HD 931 but as a stop-gap solution i plan to use my PC with VGA out. I have enabled the 1280X720 p setting on my Radeon card. Can i consider this as the next-best alternative to a pure-digital solution ?

4. Finally, my meager DVD collections consists of the following movies - Matrix, X-men, LOTR, Ocean's Eleven & Black Hawk Down. Which of these have good scenes to compare PQ with different sources/inputs ?

I hope to hear some suggestions atleast on the minimum adjustments i can make other than the gamma correction. I know the Samsung DLP is one of the most exhausted topics on this forum but inspite of considerable research, i face a brickwall on how to proceed with tuning, given my present low-quality cable & dvd sources.

Thanks in advance,

Nivas

P.S. I've been under influence of some heavy painkillers since my oral surgery on friday(yea, the same day my TV arrived), so please attribute my overt enthusiasm & typos if any to my surreal state ;)

·
Coyote Waits
27,308 Posts
It's going to take time for the forum members to work out the same tweaks that the original HLM owners have done. There is no hurry to tweak your set anyway.

From what I have read the original HLM507 tweaks won't work on your set. I would expect your set to tweak the same as the HLN sets but keep track of the relevant threads.

If you would like to rent DVDs on the net check out:

www.netflix.com

It can be very convenient and you might even save money.

Good luck and enjoy.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do understood that i can do the tweaks at leisure but i would happy if i can atleast view HDTV/DVD movies with good PQ. Else i will have wasted big $$ on watching pathetic cable channels on a dlp tv, instead of my 27" analog one !

I was a netflix subscriber back in 2000 when they shipped only from san jose. I stopped soon after as i never received movies on time & was always on the Q, resulting in seeing only 2 or 3 movies per month.

Blockbuster once had an awesome deal, 30 movies/30 days for 19.99$. I saw about 20 movies that month when they cancelled it.

-Nivas

·
Registered
579 Posts
(QUOTE)

I also have issues with either a ground loop or a really bad cable feed into my apt which creates a lot of disturbance on NBC & a few other channels.

I think you should call Comcast right away to correct the weak tv signal problems you have. I did that 4 days ago and a tech came yesterday. He measured the signal strength at the wall TV outlet and it was -2dB when normal should be >0dB. He installed a signal booster in the line feed and now I get perfect channels from 2 to 98 (Digital channels were always good bec. of the benefit of digital format of all or nothing). I used to have several bad analog channels due to the weak signals. You pay good money monthly for your cable and deserves every channels to be perfect. With your higher resolution TV , any poor signals will be magnified more than in your old CRT. Garbage in ,magnified garbage out! Good luck!:cool:

·
Registered
68 Posts
srinivos

I'm assuming that your viewing experience so far with DVD's is not too good. Can you describe to us what makes the picture quality, as you have it now without tweaks, "not good"?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Since it may be a while before someone posts the best SM tweeks for your model, and since your the lamp should burn for at least 100 hours before you should make permanent changes to the SM tweeks, don't neglect the obvious user setting changes in the interim.

Buy, beg, borrow or steal the AVIA or Video Essentials DVD and begin by making the necesary changes there. Don't forget to change the dynamic mode to Custom and the temperature to warm 1 or warm 2. These last two changes alone will improve your picture if you haven't made them.

I've had my HLM437W for 1 month now and await the oportunity to swap it out for the HLN467 in a few weeks, at which point I'll be starting over myself. It's driving me crazy not to make the recommended SM tweeks for my set.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jhstn58
Don't forget to change the dynamic mode to Custom and the temperature to warm 1 or warm 2. These last two changes alone will improve your picture if you haven't made them.

Whoa... did I miss something? I could've sworn I read that it was Cool2 and not Warm1 or Warm2 that was closest to correct grayscale out of the box.

BTW, I must be the "iceman" that Nivas was talking about. :)

I'll continue to post my small tweaks here and there in the other thread on the HLN617.

Thanks,

Jeff

·
Registered
39 Posts
srinivos, I purchased my HLM507W a few weeks ago and intended to just watch SD TV through analog cable, watch DVD's and play XBOX on it. What I soon found out was that the previously acceptable analog cable I was watching was now CRAP. I upgraded a splitter.....nothin. I changed the way I had cable hooked up.......nothin. I picked up a digital cable box and Voilla, every station improved emensly. This baby is obviously amplifying the signal with great results. The signal became much brighter and clearer. I've had to turn down the brightness and contrast on the TV a little to compensate. If I add a splitter before or after the cable box it degrades the signal slightly. I would highly recomend trying some kind of amplifier or cable box. Hope this helps Steve

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.