Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

While playing around in the service menu I've seen some very odd behaviour from my XP30 and its progressive connection with my Samsung.

The XP30 is set to "progressive" output through its normal menus.

I normally connect through comp1 and I yesterday tried reconnecting it to comp2 (480p or better) but I got "signal not supported". Strange I thought. Then I plugged it back into comp1 (480i/480p) and it worked fine. Bringing up the service menu initially looked correct for a progressive input- no FLI chipset option. However after going into a sub-menu and back out the service menu had changed to showing FLI (etc) and disabled AD9883 (etc) - so apparently it was receiving an interlaced signal. Checking the XP30's menu again showed "progressive" as the output.

So whats going on? I tried two different sets of component cables with no difference. Is there any way to ensure the panasonic XP30 is outputting progressive (or not as the case may be)?

Help!

Jonathan

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
John, it's funny how complicated Panasonic made it to enable the progressive scan on this dvd player. It took me about 25 minutes to figure out that I had to enable progressive scan in 3 different menus on this player to get it to work.

On your dvd remote, hit the display button and when the tool bar menu pops up, arrow down to the video/or picture menu, and arrow over and change the output to 480p.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Like tbass2k said, you have to enable progressive scan in 2 different menus. If you do just one, it won't work.

Once you get it to work though, the picture is beautiful.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tbass2k
John, it's funny how complicated Panasonic made it to enable the progressive scan on this dvd player. It took me about 25 minutes to figure out that I had to enable progressive scan in 3 different menus on this player to get it to work.

On your dvd remote, hit the display button and when the tool bar menu pops up, arrow down to the video/or picture menu, and arrow over and change the output to 480p.
Does this also applies to the XP-50? I thought all I need to do is enable progressive scan and that's it! :confused:

·
Registered
535 Posts
have the hln467 and xp30. I have not changed xp30 to progressive but have been letting hln467 do the work. Is there any advantage in setting xp30 to progessive scan ?

·
Coyote Waits
27,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ted08721
have the hln467 and xp30. I have not changed xp30 to progressive but have been letting hln467 do the work. Is there any advantage in setting xp30 to progessive scan ?
Most of the reports here think non-progressive is best unless you have a DVD player that is superior to the Faroudja chip. It's easy enough to try out for your self. Inputing 480i upconverted to 720p via DVI has been reported to be even better.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by htwaits
Most of the reports here think non-progressive is best unless you have a DVD player that is superior to the Faroudja chip. It's easy enough to try out for your self. Inputing 480i upconverted to 720p via DVI has been reported to be even better.
I was of a similar opinion - that the Faroudja chip in my Xp30 and the Faroudja chip on my Samsung would be doing mostly the same thing (except to 720p rather than 480p) so interlaced or progressive would make little difference. I even thought progressive output from my XP30 would be WORSE due to the second up-conversion to 720p from 480p. However, after switching here are some very unscientific observations:

* 480p appears "smoother" and has less artifacts than 480i

* 480i seems to have more precise detail

* Color "richness" and general darkness is much better on 480p

So I think I'm staying with 480p as my XP30 output. I should switch it around a few times but its such a pain in the a** to do.

My set is tweaked based around mike_pros spreadsheet.

Jonathan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.