AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently purchased a HLM437 and am very excited! The only downside is that I have to wait a couple of weeks until the rec-room is finished to have it delivered. Other threads have mentioned leaving the set on for a while upon first use to prime the lamp. Is this correct and does anyone know how long this should be done?

·
Registered
332 Posts
Current wisdom is about 80 hours nonstop. 3 days, 8 hours. This estimate relates to the set "stabilizing" it's lamp output. This is helpful before beginning any serious calibrations, or else the settings might need re-adjustments.

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
Nope. 80 hours. I can't recall the poster who explained this, but he sounded like an ISF or close to one, based on what else he was sharing. Knows his stuff. Also, other posts indicated that turning the lamp on and leaving it on initially for a long time extends its useful life, too. I screwed up and accidentally turned it off and on a few times, not realizing that the LITTLE green button on the Sony LCD GW XBR remote is what turns off/on Sat TV and DVD player -- I kept pushing the Big green power button. But, then I left it on for 80 hours straight.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I think around 20 hours burn-in period is to help extend the life of the lamp. The 80+ hours is to make the light output stablized from the lamp for SM tweaking. You don't need to keep the lamp on for 80 hours straight.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm glad i asked. Thanks for the info. That should give me plenty of time to catch up on all the movies I have been waiting to rent.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hotprix00
I'm glad i asked. Thanks for the info. That should give me plenty of time to catch up on all the movies I have been waiting to rent.
If you watch all of those movies before doing the SM tweaks, then you'll want to watch them again after doing the tweaks. I thought DVDs looked great during my warmup period, with just the user menu changes.

After the SM tweaks (especially Phil's settings from using Colorfacts), I can't believe how much better the picture is on my 507. I'm going back through DVDs just to see how much better they look now.

Jeff

·
Registered
111 Posts
Ok, so to simplify all this since i'm an idiot when it comes to this stuff...

Burn-in for the set would mean to turn the set on with no picture and just let it run for 20 hours?

After the 20 hour period, hook something up and then watch all the movies I want?

Thanks and pardon my ignorance

·
Registered
112 Posts
No you can hook up a signal just don't turn the tv off. Hook up your cable, sat, dvd or whatever. Sit down and watch it for twenty hours if you want.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.