AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Sammy HLM437W just arrived (thanks TV Authority), and I have run into a little problem. I tried a search on this subject and could not locate any meaningful information.

When there is a dark screen on the TV, two whitish looking circles (2-3" diameter) are visible on the screen. One is in the middle of the screen, and one is in the upper left part of the screen. When there is a light picture on, the circles are not visible. When anything dark is on, the circle is easily visible, and makes watching the TV a bit annoying.

I don't think this is something I could learn to live with. Has anyone else had this problem with their TV?

I will try to post a picture.

Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Is it white circles or is it more like a dull amoeba like glow in the middle of the screen. If it's the glow, then I think that's internal reflections of the lighting in your room. I've seen this on demo sets. As Advance said, Tivolicious discussed it:

My Samsung 507 review

There is a picture in that thread that shows the problem, although it's kind of hard to see unless you know what you're looking for.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attac...achmentid=2881

Can you turn down your room lighting and see if that has an effect on the problem?

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
slammer7,

Are these a "ghost image" of a circle that is being displayed on the screen? The "ghost image" will not be the same size or shape but, should be close. If so, I have two words for you, internal reflections. Steve (Tivolicious) and I have commented many times about this issue. It is not a fixable problem.

If this isn't the case, let us know. If you do not know what a "ghost image" will look like, bring up the OSD on a black background, get with 1 - 3 feet of the TV and look up at it. We will know then what it looks like.

EDIT: In case it helps, here is my latest post about it. One thing that I am hoping doesn't show up in the 61" is internal reflections. I was watching a KISS DVD last night and when the KISS logo that they use on stage was a full brightness, I could see it over the people. It was upside down and sort of transparent (a ghost image). I know it is not supposed to be there because depending on your viewing angle of the set, somtimes it was there and other times it wasn't. Also, it does not happen at all on my Sony 32HS200.

-ftlee

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies.

DLiquid - I looked at the pic, and that is not it. It is not an amoeba like shape, and changing the ambient lighting does not do anything.

Ftlee - I don't think it is a ghost image, but I am not sure. There are two circles of about the same size, and I just noticed a smaller third circle as well.

I will try and snap a picture soon so you can see (hopefully) what I am talking about.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Hey Slammer

I have some techs coming out to look at my set tomorrow...I have a similar issue with a dull, white stripe located just left of center about an inch wide and about 8 inches long. It isn't an internal reflection--but I can notice it on dark scenes. Anyway, I'll let you know what the tech finds and if it's fixable because, odds are, it's the same issue you have.

klick

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
slammer7,

Do you see it when there is nothing being projected on the screen? If not, it is a reflection of some kind. Tivolicious and I both tried taking pictures of what we see but, you are right, it is much worse in person than any picture shows.

EDIT: From mine and Tivolicious's reviews (I do not think it is this): The only thing funny is that it will sort of collect ambient light and produce a faint 5-6" wide bright diffuse swatch down the middle portion of the screen. Maybe the same thing causing the "internal reflections" is causing this issue.

-ftlee

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ftlee,

I do see it when there is nothing on the screen. To get the picture I took, I set the TV to the input being used by my PS2, and I left my PS2 off. The circles are there.

I am thinking it is some sort of weird reflection coming off the lamp or wheel. I read the other posts regarding internal reflections, but I don't feel like this is the same problem.

I emailed TVA about the situation, and I will see if they recommend getting a tech out to look at it.

Perhaps klick can shed some light after his tech visit tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
slammer7,

I do not mean to disagree but, in your picture there is something being projected to the screen. The words "Video 1" and "No Signal".

I know how you can tell. Change your viewing angles. Look from both sides, top, and bottom. If it is a reflection off of something, it should go away at various viewing positions.

Just trying to help,

-ftlee

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ftlee,

I understand what you are saying. Perhaps just the words "Video 1, No Signal" might be enough light to cause a reflection. Sorry I misunderstood what you were trying to say.

I will try to look at the TV from different angles and see if that makes them disappear/reappear.

Thanks again for all of your input.

·
Registered
188 Posts
The repairman should be heading to my place in about an hour or two so I'll post as soon as I learn something.

Followup question...if something dark passes through the area with the spot the spot becomes visible, right? And if it passes back through the area the spot is again visible, and it does move, correct? I've seen internal reflections too but they're always related to the content on the screen, reflecting the bright area in the opposite corner. From what I can gather this other situation is different...

Anyway, hopefully answers in a couple of hours--and hopefully they'll be good answers!

klick

·
Registered
26 Posts
I took delivery of a Panny 40" LCD that had what appears to be a similar problem (2"-3" blobs that were either red or green only noticable when that section of the screen was dark ). Others on this board also noticed the same problem with the same model. At one point the probable diagnosis was dust that had settled on something inside the TV (I assume an LCD Panel). I actually took the TV back and jumped on the PB, so I lost interest and did not follow the thread through to conclusion. But, I wonder if this could also be an issue with the Samsung?

Jerry Joyce

·
Registered
188 Posts
Slammer

The tech took a look at my set and the good news is he said the white spot on my set is fixable and not an inherent "design" flaw--so I'm sure yours is too. He's coming back next week to replace the optical engine because there is something (dirt, lint, etc.) inside the engine that is getting projected onto the screen.

So it's at least an easily fix. He also showed me how to change the lamp (seems very easy) but hopefully I won't need to do that for three or four years.

klick

·
Registered
188 Posts
Yup...I just called the number in the back. You can also visit the samsungusa website. He did say that this was the first time he saw the problem but I'm glad he knew what it was. The dreaded words I was afraid of were "This is just the way the set is."

klick

·
Registered
462 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by gjoyce
I took delivery of a Panny 40" LCD that had what appears to be a similar problem (2"-3" blobs that were either red or green only noticable when that section of the screen was dark ). Others on this board also noticed the same problem with the same model. At one point the probable diagnosis was dust that had settled on something inside the TV (I assume an LCD Panel).
It is dust. Took me 3 exchanged Panasonic sets to figure this out (with the help of this forum). I used scotch tape to seal the edges of the dust filter. Works...so far.

See this thread for a picture.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=185975

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
It's dust. The set at the local Tweeter has/had several dust circles. I'm surprised the tech didn't want to try cleaning the lense. The service manual has instructions.

It's funny that we all noticed them at first and then never again on subsequent visits. I wonder if the dust blew off or what. I doubt the salesmen would have noticed, let alone done something about it.

Ken

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.