Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post...don't be too harsh ;)

I've endlessly searched looking for opinions on which set is better, and I'd like anyone's honest opinion on which is the better set( The 50 Samsung DLP or the 60 Grand Wega II).

I've narrowed it down to those two choices and here are my qualms with each set. Hopefully people with the sets can chime in on their positions on the issues.

Samsung-

-Rainbows-Do these sets really exhibit noticeable rainbows?

-Quality on compressed DirecTv- In regular non-hd direcTv signals, is the quality liveable or is it just horrendous as I've heard.

-The "animated" look- I've heard that this set tends to give dark scenes a muddy and almost artificial look to it. Is that true?

-Size- At a sitting distance of 10 feet, is 50 inches big enough to give a real HT experience?

Sony-

-DEAD PIXELS!- This is the biggest issue for me. I would blow a gasket if days after I purchased the set I had a permanenet colored dot. I've yet to see a GWI without some, is the GWII any better?

-Screen door and trails- how noticeable is the screen door effect on the set? I watched a DVD on a GWI and everytime quick action occurred it looked like the same action dragged about 2 inches behind it.

Also, which set has the overall better PQ. If you were stuck in a room and had to watch one or the other, why would you pick the one you did? Sorry I can't compare the two on my own. I've yet to find the Samsung in my area.

I'll have to deal with the size matter on my own, because I'm going from a 61SDX01B 4:3.

Thanks in advance,

The DBK

·
Registered
727 Posts
I've got the 43" DLP so here's my opinion about your concerns.

Rainbows, I've seen them twice. Both times it was a high contrast situation of a sliver of white through a black screen. I didn't notice them while I was watching the TV but rather when I looked away to the remote I'd catch a rainbow burst from the white area out of the corner of my eye. To me this is not an important issue.

Quality on compressed satelitte TV. This certainly took a hit. On my old 36" direct view / and 36" HD direct view cable was always fair to good depending on channel. Satellite was always good to great depending on channel as well. On the DLP the cable dropped to poor to fair - local news actually looks great. Satellite now looks like cable used to, fair to good. HD satellite looks very good to fantastic - depending on material. Overall the set is capable of a very good picture....I'm more upset with cable and satelitte company's than the DLP.

Dark scenes are my biggest concern right now. They are good, but not as good as a direct view. The DLP shines on bright scenes.....they are fantastic (assuming a good source). A dark scene comes up and it's good but not like bright outdoor scenes which are very, very good. I'm still working on the blacks,it should be able to become very good as well I hope.

I've never seen the GW2 so I can't give you my opinion on that.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Welcome The DBK. Great first post! You've pretty much boiled it down to the right list.

Rainbows: Statistically you won't be able to see them. Maybe you can. You'll need to look for yourself. I can see them on certain scenes if I yank my head from side to side. Of course my CRT doesn't look to good like this either.

DTV/"animated look" etc. Can all be dialed out if you care to spend the time using our suggested Service Menu Tweaks.

Size: IMO 50" doesn't give that Big Cinema Experience, but a 60" or 61" does and then some.

Sony: Screen door bothers me, it may not bother you. I haven't noticed any dead pixels on the 4-5 GW's/GWII's I've viewed. I'm sure there must have been some but I didn't look hard for them.

IMO, overall PQ goes to the DLP *if* you do the Service Menu tweaks. If you just want to take it out of the box and turn it on then GWII is the best choice. The blacks are much better on the DLP, but a bias light can be used with the GWII to bring them back down. (GWII blacks are ok IMO)

Ken

·
Registered
377 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

I spent about 30 minutes with a 507 and now have one coming this week. I thought it looked great, but once when I turned around quickly to talk to the salesman, I saw a slight rainbow from the corner of my eye. Didn't bother me and I didn't concentrate on trying to find another one. I think for the average person, you may see a rainbow from time to time if you are moving around a lot while watching certain scenes on the set, but as long as you don't go neurotic and hunt them out, it will be no worse than the occasional glare on a tube set (or your glasses, if you happen to have them like me). Just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I own a 60" GWII. I never seen the Samsung 50". Out of the box, the GWII looked fair to watch SD, good to watch DVD. I do not have HD yet so I can't comment on that. After tweaking the set with UMR's setting, the SD has improved to good. Action sports are watchable with little to non-artifacts and the detail picture has improved. DVD interlace or progressive is excellent on this set. I have not seen a dead pixel on mine and I am not looking for them at all. I usually watch my set 10" to 15" away. I can't wait for my HD receiver...

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I don't own either set, but have been avidly looking at both of them since they appeared. I will have to admit *never* being satisfied with the picture on the GWXBR, even with the UM tweaks. My problem is the flat look, the "haze" on certain dark scenes, etc. It really bothers me for some reason, perhaps because I am used to an Elite CRT picture.

The Samsung, when not defective, has always impressed me, and apparently many of the problems with the picture above and beyond that can be resolved using SM tweaks.

So, I am personally waiting to see the 61" Samsung. The GWXBR is nearly off my list....nearly.

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
I hear this mentioned around here and I have to interject a comment, 60 or so inches still does not give a "Big Cinema Experience", I would need a 8' or bigger FP system to get that and a very dark room, hence, like a cinema, but for normal viewing a 43/50/60 looks great in a "living room" depending on how far you sit away from the screen.

Jim

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
vfrjim,

My wife and I had a Sony 61HS30 before the HLM507W and we feel that from 11' away that the 507 just does not do it for us. Put it this way, when people came over to watch football on my old Sony, they all said "wow, that is a big screen". Now when people come over they say "nice tv". This is our view as well. We are waiting for out 617W to arrive and will be watching it from 11'.

P.S. I will take a FP though for the ultimate HT experience. :D

-ftlee

·
Registered
366 Posts
I have boiled it down to the 60" GWII or the 61" Samsung as well. My biggest problem is that no dealer in Minneapolis will be carrying the Samsung. The dealers that have the 50" Samsung (Audio King) do not have any GWIIs in stock. The only place that I have seen a GWII was at CC and they don't carry the Samsungs. Nobody will let you watch SD through either set.

I have ~$5000 burning a hole in my pocket and I can't get enough of a proper demo to decide on either set. The ideal would be to have them side by side, but it seems this will never happen. Has anyone switched from one to another?

·
Registered
88 Posts
teekster,

the roseville audio king has the 60 GW2 and an hlm4307 on display. They are not in the same room and the gw2 is hooked up to OTA digital, the internal HD feed, and DVD, while the samsung is only hooked up to a DVD feed split 400 times. The salespeople will be happy to move the two into the same room, though, if you give them a call beforehand and it isn't too busy. Comparing a 43 and 60 inch tv probably won't give you a real fair comparison, but it should at least give you some idea.

edit:

I also asked about the samsung 61 and was quoted a price of 5199 w/ availability on 12/20. They will not be displaying it. BTW, there was no attempt at negotiation.

·
Registered
366 Posts
thanks rehr0001, I will check them out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.