Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I recently ordered a HLM507 for my home.

I am conserned about the getting the "new" internals versus the "old" internals.

From some posts here in the forum is has mentioned that some of the later HLM507 model actually include the most recent internals (2300 Faroudja and DNIe).

However I called Samsung USA techincal support this morning (4/22/03) and they told me that none of the HLM507s have the upgraded internals and that they will not offer a replacement program to let HLM507 owners upgraded to 2300 Faroudja and DNIe.

Is this true or did the person I talked to not know up from down?

Jeff

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does your remote say DNIe on it? Or Perfect Focus?

Also what is your manufacturers date?

Thanks

Jeff

·
Registered
146 Posts
Uhhh.... can't remember right now. I'll check when I get home tonight and let you know. Something tells me that mine was built in December.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Has it been proven that the sets with the newer internals even produce a better picture? It was my understanding that the addition of DNIe was primarily a cost cutting change so they wouldnt have to buy from Panasonic. Anyone have any info on this?

·
Registered
146 Posts
As I recall, it was originally suggested that it provided a better picture.... this was the reason that only the 61" had the clip included.... the bigger screen required the better chip in order to look as good as the others.

This might have just been marketing.

·
Coyote Waits
27,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jefftaz
I recently ordered a HLM507 for my home.

I am conserned about the getting the "new" internals versus the "old" internals.

From some posts here in the forum is has mentioned that some of the later HLM507 model actually include the most recent internals (2300 Faroudja and DNIe).

However I called Samsung USA techincal support this morning (4/22/03) and they told me that none of the HLM507s have the upgraded internals and that they will not offer a replacement program to let HLM507 owners upgraded to 2300 Faroudja and DNIe.

Is this true or did the person I talked to not know up from down?

Jeff
What Samsung USA told you is at odds with the information provided by forum members about their new HLM507s.

I'm curious why you would be ordering a HLM507 at this late date. Can you get a much better price than you can for the HLN507?

It is easy to tell which version of the HLM507 you have by going into the service menu. If you find a menu for the 2200 Faroudja chip then you have the HLM507 that Samsung tech support knows about. If you find a menu for the 2300 Faroudja chip then you have the HLM507 that Forum members have been reporting for several weeks.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I think I am getting a good deal on the HLM507 from Ultimate Electronics (Colorado). I am getting the set for $3400 (is that a good price?) with free delivery. I am also getting a 5 year warrenty that is $369 so the total will be $3769 for the HLM507, free delivery and a 5 year warrenty.

Think I should stay with the HLM507 or wait for the HLN507 (they told me they will get them around the end of May).

Jeff

·
Registered
963 Posts
Given the reports that DNIe can cause some visual glitches (luckily it can be turned off) coupled with the fact that nobody seems to have figured out a way to disable the black expansion circuitry with the new internals (the one thing that yielded the greatest improvement in PQ on my 437), IMO the absolute best combination would be a set with firmware revision 111 and the old internals. Rev.111 fixed the default to wide problem, but you would still be able to disable the black expansion circuit easily.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Totally agree with Bishamon, turning B* settings to 0 is huge. If this turns out to be impossible with the new internals than I'll be skipping the "upgrade" (which was recently promised by Samsung people higher up the chain than the Customer Service desk).

·
Coyote Waits
27,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jefftaz
Think I should stay with the HLM507 or wait for the HLN507 (they told me they will get them around the end of May).

Jeff
I'm waiting for the HLN567 but I'm going to find out about turning the black expansion circuitry off on the HLN before I pluck down any money.

The firmware 111 sets must be hard to find by now.

It sounds like you are getting a close-out price. If the dealer has their own service department and a good reputation then it sounds good to me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.