Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please help.

I have tried to use the THX optimizer on a number of DVDs. The color saturation, contrast etc. are OK.

BUT, on thr brightness test, I don't see most of the black bars, nor do I see the THX logo. My TV is OK when bright, but any dark scenes are unviewable.

Bought the TV a week ago and I am thinking of returing it.

Is this just my TV, am I doing anything wrong (I am using compenent frommy Sony ES900 DVD), or is this a limitation with my TV?

All comments and help appreciated.

:confused:

Bod

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Bod,

Ok, give us a little more info.

What are your current Color, Tint, Sharpness, Contrast and Brightness settings?

What DVD are you using to view the Optimizer?

Did you get the upgraded internals on your set?

What Gamma setting are you using?

Have you monkeyed around with anything in the service menu either by accident or on purpose other than the gamma setting?

Are you in a light controlled room or is this a room that is fairly bright?

What color tone are you using? Warm1? Cool2? etc..

What DVD player and which input are you using to view DVDs on this set?

Do you have another set of the same type of video cables (S-vid or component or composite... whatever you are currently using) laying around that you could try to get working?

Once you give us answers to these questions, we'll see what we can do to figure this out.

Regs,

Jeff

·
Registered
727 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Iceblade
Did you get the upgraded internals on your set?
I think that's still undecided, the correct term should be "Updated" since "upgraded" would imply that they are better.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
color 30%

contrast 80%

Brightness 80%

Sharpness 75%

tint 50-50

color tone - Normal

Gamma? I cannot see any way to change the gamma

Room is dark

TV is brand new - I do not know how to tell whether I have new internals.

I do not know how to access service menu.

DVD player - SONY ES-900, set to progressive out.

Using input - Component 1

I have swapped cables (Monster Silver core) no change.

DVDs used - T2, Starwars I & II.

Thanks for you help!

Bod

·
Registered
548 Posts
You probably will want to go into the service menu (do a search or maybe one of these guys will point you to the right thread) to change the gamma settings.

Likely that this is your problem.

I don't have any experience with the Sony ES 900, but I'm reluctant to point to it as the source of the problem, simply because the ES line of stuff is usually pretty darned decent.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Supertoyz
I think that's still undecided, the correct term should be "Updated" since "upgraded" would imply that they are better.
Fair enough, if were going to get into semantics.

Here is the method to get into the sevice menu.

Select whichever input you are using with your DVD player as you would normally.

Turn the TV off.

Wait for the fan to turn off.

Now hit the following keys on your remote in succession.

MUTE-1-8-2-POWER

When the set finished it's normal 25-30 second power up, you SHOULD be in the service menu.

Use the joystick to select different menu options. The Gamma setting should be an option under the very first Menu item when the service menu comes up.

Good luck!

Later,

Jeff

·
Coyote Waits
27,302 Posts
First off you need to find out which internal electronics you have. The HLM 507 depending on when it was built may have two different sets. The fact you just purchased the set doesn't mean much.

Here is some background.

1. HLM617 original version (did not change for the HLN617):

DNIe (Video Enhancement)

Faroudja FLI2300 processing (DeInterlacing to 720p)

2. HLM437 and HLM507 original version built through part of December 2002:

Panasonic 82860 (Video Enhancement)

Faroudja FLI2200 processing (DeInterlacing to 720p)

3 HLM4365 and HLM5065 original version might be different in some ways.

4. All HLM sets get new internal electronics to match the original HLM617. Some build dates as early as December 2002.

5. All HLN sets have the original HLM617 internal electronics.

If you have the original HLM then you can use the extensive tweaks already developed by some very sharp people.

This is the original thread. The first message has what you need to get into the SM and good tweaks for the original HLM. Once in the SM look for a menu item for the Faroudja FLI2200 chip. If you find it then these tweaks are for you.

If you find a menu item for the Faroudja FLI2300 chip then you probably shouldn't use these tweaks. Also, record all the settings so you will be able to restore them if something doesn't work the way you hoped.

Faroudja FLI2200 chip: (Well tested)
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0&pagenumber=1
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=196287

Faroudja FLI2300 chip: (Not ready for prime time yet.)

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0&pagenumber=1

Good luck.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Iceblade
Here is the method to get into the sevice menu.

Select whichever input you are using with your DVD player as you would normally.

Turn the TV off.

Wait for the fan to turn off.

Now hit the following keys on your remote in succession.

MUTE-1-8-2-POWER

When the set finished it's normal 25-30 second power up, you SHOULD be in the service menu.

Use the joystick to select different menu options. The Gamma setting should be an option under the very first Menu item when the service menu comes up.

Good luck!

Later,

Jeff
Actually there is a slightly more convenient way......You can enter the SM without totally powering down the TV.

With the TV on press power, and then the Mute>1>8>2>Power The TV will come up in the SM without ever having the chance to really power off. When you exit the SM you will have to power off completely before turning it back on. Also you can change inputs while in the SM so selecting the correct input before entering the SM is not necessary.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Supertoyz
Actually there is a slightly more convenient way......You can enter the SM without totally powering down the TV.

With the TV on press power, and then the Mute>1>8>2>Power The TV will come up in the SM without ever having the chance to really power off. When you exit the SM you will have to power off completely before turning it back on. Also you can change inputs while in the SM so selecting the correct input before entering the SM is not necessary.
Yep, you're right, ST. Not sure what drugs I was on when I wrote that response... guess I was remembering how I did it a few weeks ago instead of a few days ago when you or someone else set me straight.

Must be color-banding and bad geometry on the brain. :D

And now... back to the show.

Later,

Jeff

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
With the HLM507W, I see all the bars and THX optimizer logo with the Panasonic DVD-RP82 progressive scan DVD player, hooked up to the component-1 input.

You might benefit from reading the service tweaks threads.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Many many thanks for the suggestions and the link to the tweaks thread. I did as suggested. The main problem was solved by entering the SM and tweaking the Y-Offset in the AD9883 menu.

Once I had changed this (I used a setting of 48), all my shadow detail came back and I could get my picture to perfection using the THX Video tests.

The difference is stunning - no "blackouts" where the screen was black with no shadow detail. No I am truly stunned at the picture and am trying to rewatch all my DVDs I used to watch on a 480i Sony TV.

PSPUN is a genius - many thanks to him and everyone who chimed in.

Bod

:D

PS What were Samsung thinking to send out the set with their "factory" settings. Are they all blind from too much sun over there?

·
Coyote Waits
27,302 Posts
Enjoy!

·
Registered
856 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by beelzebod

PSPUN is a genius - many thanks to him and everyone who chimed in.

Bod

:D
Thanks, Bod, but the credit should go to the Huston Gangs (KenLand et al). I just collected the results from them. I am glad you enjoy your set. I have the HLM507W. My wife and I watched Gladiator on HD from ABC on Saturday, and we were so impressed with the PQ that we can not imagine watching movies on anything else! It is just awesome. We have the Gladiator DVD, and it looks great on the 507 also, but on HD, that is just PERFECT!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by pspun
Thanks, Bod, but the credit should go to the Huston Gangs (KenLand et al). I just collected the results from them. I am glad you enjoy your set. I have the HLM507W. My wife and I watched Gladiator on HD from ABC on Saturday, and we were so impressed with the PQ that we can not imagine watching movies on anything else! It is just awesome. We have the Gladiator DVD, and it looks great on the 507 also, but on HD, that is just PERFECT!
How did you receive the HD signal? What DVD player do you have and how was it connected?

I'm ready to pull the trigger on a HLN5065W but I'm just curious as to what the optimal set up will be.

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
I missed a detail here. You said you just bought it, but is it a "M" or a "N"?

Quote:
Originally posted by beelzebod
Many many thanks for the suggestions and the link to the tweaks thread. I did as suggested. The main problem was solved by entering the SM and tweaking the Y-Offset in the AD9883 menu.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by turls
Matt, I'm in the same boat here... the "S.S. Confused As To What He Has" as it were. :D

Bod... please clarify if you have the FLI2300 or FLI2200 in your service menu as well as an option called DNIe. We would like to know which model of TV you have, as the thread you used from pspun was intended for the "M" models not the "N" models since they have a slew of different guts.

For further clarification, if you ever tweaked the settings for the MN82860 in your service menu, then we know you have the "M" model.

We look forward to your answer.

Thanks,

Jeff

·
Registered
856 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by psu7979
How did you receive the HD signal? What DVD player do you have and how was it connected?

I'm ready to pull the trigger on a HLN5065W but I'm just curious as to what the optimal set up will be.
We receive HD from OTA with the Samsung SIR-T165 using DVI output. We have our old Toshiba 4700 DVD progressive scan using component 1 of the 507. I am thinking of getting a DVD player with DVI output, but then I need a DVI switcher which is very expensive (unless you get a mechanical switcher which is not very good).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Sorry for any confusion - I have the "old" innards

e.g FLI2200. I have no option named DNIe.

For further clarification - I am using a Sony ES900 DVD with Monster silver core cabling to Component 1.

Bod

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.