AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got the Samsung HLM617W yesterday and while on, noticed near the upper left area of the screen a spot of some sort. Not sure if it was due to fabrication or what. When you have complete white image, you can see this black spot, when you have complete black, you notice a white spot. It only is the size of a pixel. My Sammy says manufactured in February of 2003 and my co-worker bought the same unit and has the same problem and his is the same manufactured month. We also have the same unit at work, and it does not possess this problem, not sure what the manufacture date is, although it has been on display since February/March. Do I call a tech out for service? Is this a normal part of fabrication as the manual hinted? Could there be a flaw on the color wheel or the mirror? Please check you units and let me know if this has happened to you or is happening to you and what you are doing/did to correct this problem.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I heard others with a similiar problem. In those cases it was a stuck mirror which makes it appear that you have a stuck pixel. \\

It could also be a piece of dust etx which is preventing the light from drawing the screen.

Either way I would take advantage of the return policy to exchange it.

I bought mine this week and have been very happy with it with the excfeption of compatiabi;ity issues with Comcast HDTV cable box. The picture quality when given a clean feed is outstanding. With a averaage feed itis still good. Mine is a HLN version

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would have preferred the HLN model...My HLM617W came directly from Samsung in Chicago. The first set I got a few weeks ago would not power on, so I refused the delivery, now I got this dot on the screen of my new one!!! Hopefully they will exchange it, since I didn't go directly through a retailer. The picture quality is amazing...Just sold a 50HLM to a customer last night...I am sure they will be pleased! When I sell them at work I have them compare the Mitsubishi Diamond to it and let it sell itself!

Bryce

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Going to call a local Samsung Service Partner tomorrow to see if the black dot/bright pixel is covered or not. I am quoting from the sheet that is included in the box with the tv

" A BLACK DOT OR A BRIGHT DOT APPEARS ON THE SCREEN

One or two pixels may appear bright or dark because of a technical limi during the manufacturing process of the LCD built in the TV set. This doesn't affect the performance of the TV"

Doesn't affect the performance of the TV!!! What about the experience of the consumer?

Hopefully I can get this resolved soon...If not, I will sell it and get a HLN series...No use spending the $$$ on the upgrade when I should just buy the new model.

Bryce

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.