AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchased this set last week and I can say I am over all happy with it's performance. I do have a few questions for some experienced DLP owners.

1. I have noticed when watching 2.35 ratio dvd's that the black bar at the top is a lot smaller than the one at the bottom. Which made it look totally out of proportion to me. I went into the SM and adjuusted POS-Y from 21 to 12. This brought the image to the middle of the screen and looked more balanced to me. Is this adjustment ok to do? I have not read anywhere of anyone doing this adjustment, and I have read all threads relating to DLP. I do have AVIA and did this adjustment while using this DVD.

2. I can not remember (OMG) if the gamma setting was at 4 or 5, before I changed it. I now use 0. Gamma setting of 4 or 5 looked WAY to bright and contrast was way to high IMHO. I tried AVIA and could not get something that was to my liking. I believe that 0 has the best picture to me, at this point. I keep reading that gamma of 4 or 5 is being used on the older HLM sets. I can't comment on this, not having seen or played with one, but it looks terrible on my set. Any comments on the gamma settings?

3. I called Samsung and ordered the SM book yesterday. I hope that it can answer a few questions I have about different options and settings for this tv. This is my first adventure into DTV and I am a total tweaker!!!!

I can not wait for some other forum members to comment on different settings for the HLN series. I have tried many other settings for the HLM series, but have been mostly unimpressed so far.

Also, from looking at the service menus, I can not understand what the difference between the 5065 and 507 series of HLN sets are. They look exactly the same to me and I can not understand why Samsung releases two, basicaly identical tvs. Except, that one series will be shown at high end stores, where the other will be shown at main stream stores. To this I add with different model numbers, price matching would not be possilbe. This would be my only complaint to Samsung, if indeed both tvs have the same internals.

Stop confusing the consumer, like me, and try to grab as wide an audience as you can.

Again, very new to the DTV world, but I'm so glad I found this forum. Very awesome posts on here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :p

·
Registered
370 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by armandxp
Also, from looking at the service menus, I can not understand what the difference between the 5065 and 507 series of HLN sets are. They look exactly the same to me and I can not understand why Samsung releases two, basicaly identical tvs. Except, that one series will be shown at high end stores, where the other will be shown at main stream stores. To this I add with different model numbers, price matching would not be possilbe. This would be my only complaint to Samsung, if indeed both tvs have the same internals.
The HLN437, 507 and 617 series also have the charcoal bezel which some people will like. It should be noted that the MSRP of the 437 and 507 are the same as the 4365 and 5065 respectively.

Also I don't think it is very advisable to use the HLM tweaks on the HLN series. Especially the gamma table settings. The HLM series had 6 gamma tables 0 to 5 and I believe the HLN series has 15 or 16 tables. There is no guarantee that the old tables correspond to the positions 0 to 5 of the new set of gamma tables. The Service Manual should give you a better idea of what settings to fiddle with. Getting the Avia or Video Essentials DVDs would help a lot as well.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.