AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From the HLN information thread, it sounds like the Samsung hasn't fixed what I think is a problem with the HLM series: that one of their component inputs is 480i/p only, and the two others are 480p/720p/1080i only.

The upshot is that if you have a source that does both 480i *and* one of the HD formats, you're screwed. Like, say, an Xbox. Or a component video switcher. Or maybe DirecTV's HD receiver?

At least this is my understanding. I'd be very interested to hear what strategies users are employing to mitigate the problem.

I'm on the fence with respect to a 43 or 50 HLN... I like that the HLNs are true HD models, I like that their DVI ports are HDCP-compliant. I like that Samsung is standing behind their product with a firmware update to be made available soon. ...But what sounds to me like a crippled component video situation is causing me to wince and give the competitors second thoughts.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I agree with you, but took the plunge on the HLN anyway, in the hopes that Samsung may correct this in the future.

I thought I had 2 component outputs on my AV reciever, which would have been ideal for me (one set of cables to each input on the TV), but on second look, I don't. For Xbox fans, people have split one of the component cables to a composite input, giving a b&w dashboard on that input (The Dashboard is the only item that can't be rendered in at least 480p - once you're in a game, you're OK). I heard you can also mod the Xbox to put out all displays in higher formats, but a modded Xbox can be detected and prevented from getting on Xbox Live. Then there's the manual cable switch, which isn't so bad, I guess, unless you use the Xbox as a CD or DVD player.

See the HDTV section here for more info:
http://members.cox.net/xboxfaq/faq.htm

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.