Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm new here, but have been reading up on the Sammy's for about a month. Broke down and bought the 467 about a week ago, and have had a lot of color issues with it. I should probably say right now that I am a color consultant, so color is very much an issue with me. Except for the color problems, I'm really happy. As I've read elsewhere, it's really source dependant, and feed it a good quality source, and your going to get a fantastic picture. SD from my rooftop antenna is really poor, although, I'm willing to live with it, as I wasn't expecting it to be otherwise, and don't watch a lot of TV anyway, mostly DVD movies.

My problem with this set is that I see green in every setting. In addition to this, colors are just too strong. This has not been adjustable through the user menu, as with a DVI input, there is no hue control, just color intensity. (I also bought the HD 931 to go with this set.) On some movies, I have had to turn color to 0 to get something watchable. ( At a color setting of zero, should I be getting any color at all?) I finally figured out how to get into the sub menus, and this is what I've found. I evidently have a very early 467, as the firmware version is 211, not 214 as is everyone elses. I'm wondering if this has anything to do with it, and if the firmware is upgradeable.

I downloaded arungupta's spreadsheet, and tried the various settings that others have used, although no one else seems to have my firmware version. I have finally gotten rid of the green with the following settings:

r-gain 130

g-gain 115

b-gain 105

r-offset 130

g-offset 115

b-offset 127

Also, I've set the delay to 212 and the gamma to 2.

In the user menu, I'm using Contrast 85, Brightness 70, Sharpness 10 and Color 30. I'm still tweaking, but this is a good as I've gotten it so far. There's still a lot of room for improvement.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'm really open to them. Thanks,

Rich

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Hi Rich,

My 467 hasn't arrived yet so I can't help much with your SM settings.

But I think you should be able to get your firmware upgraded to 214 for free. This might allow you to use the settings in the spreadsheet for the HLN467/fw214 (Supertoyz?).

Samsungs specs/marketing brochure for the 467/567 models says the set has discrete codes for on/off and input selection. According to people on this forum, firmware 211 does not have discrete codes. If you want to insist Samsung upgrade you for free, seems like the discrete codes may be a good basis.

Sooke

·
Coyote Waits
27,309 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Rich58b
I finally figured out how to get into the sub menus, and this is what I've found. I evidently have a very early 467, as the firmware version is 211, not 214 as is everyone elses.

Rich
For both the HLN567 and the HLN467 firmware 211 is a mistake that Samsung will correct under warranty. Just tell them that you have an early HLN467 and there are no discrete commands. Don't mention the firmware version just to avoid any possibility of red tape bogging you down.

Samsung has gone on record to the effect that you are entitled to a new board under warranty which should contain firmware 214 or higher. If you are there when it's installed you are supposed to be able to see the version number written with magic marker on the board.

Good luck.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by htwaits
For both the HLN567 and the HLN467 firmware 211 is a mistake that Samsung will correct under warranty.

Samsung has gone on record to the effect that you are entitled to a new board under warranty which should contain firmware 214 or higher. If you are there when it's installed you are supposed to be able to see the version number written with magic marker on the board.

Good luck.
Is that for real? What happened the $200 upgrade charge? I never signed up for the upgrade - I wasn't sure it was worth it at the time, but they seem to have all the issues ironed out now.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Samsung just replaced my 211 board with 214 in my 467 yesterday. I live in a rural area and it took about 3 weeks to arrange the service call.... Strongly suggest you call Samsung... you are clearly able to have your firmware upgraded and promised descrete codes are not included in the 211 board. Keep reading.... you will get great help on this forum. By the way, the service tech called later stating he was impressed with the HD picture on my set... wanted to know how I knew to request this change. I've had no time yet to apply any service menu changes to the new board but did reset standard picture setting to my taste.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Glad to hear about the possibility of getting the firmware upgraded. Have any of you had the same kind of color problems I seem to be getting, and do you think the firmware upgrade would correct this? Having the descrete codes will be great, but the color is the real issue with me. Last night, even thought I've been able to get the green problem licked, I once again had to set the color level to 0 to get a watchable picture. I still wonder if I should be getting any color at all at that setting, and it's still fairly strong.

Thanks for responses.

Rich

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bjoh11
I live in a rural area and it took about 3 weeks to arrange the service call....
My folks live in Crow Wing county during the summer (Brainerd area). I want to advise them on HDTV but don't know what HD content is available there. What county are you in? Do you use cable, dish, or OTA for HD?

Have fun with your upgraded set!

Sooke

·
Registered
29 Posts
Quote:
Glad to hear about the possibility of getting the firmware upgraded. Have any of you had the same kind of color problems I seem to be getting, and do you think the firmware upgrade would correct this? Having the descrete codes will be great, but the color is the real issue with me. Last Rich
It's not an inherent problem with the v.211 firmware I have. I applied just Delay/Gamma/S_CT adjustments based on the suggested v.214 tweaks and it made a world of difference. OTOH, my initial problems were annoying (mainly S-video clay), apparently not as severe as the OOTB problem you describe. Sorry if this is obvious, but did you see that the setting defaults to Dynamic when restarting the set after a SM change (and therefore needs to be reset to Custom)?

Art

·
Registered
35 Posts
I live in Redwood Co. SW MN--- This is a HD black hole concerning OTA or Cable. I have direct tv and this may be the only option as well in Brainerd barring available cable??

Color with upgrade does not appear different to me // again I've had little time for exam.. I have always been happy with the picture although SD clarity/colors usually suck / this is the fault of "garbage in" as evidenced by great looking HD. The set is made for HD/DVD and we should remember that. Get an SD set for a better SD picture. Helps greatly to watch SD in 4:3 "normal" aspect.. apply standard menu settings as suggested on this board. OTB settings are not very good and likely confuse many on first power up.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Art,

Yes, I did notice that it defaulted to Dynamic each time, but didn't put it together that that was due to the lack of descrete command ability. I'm in kind of a quandry. If I keep the set and have the board changed and it still doesn't correct the problem, I'll be stuck with it. I still have a few days where I can return it for a full refund. I like this set, and really want to keep it, but if the color doesn't end up corrected, I'm going to regret keeping it. At what it cost, I'm going to think I've made an expensive mistake.

·
Coyote Waits
27,309 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DiamondDave
Is that for real? What happened the $200 upgrade charge? I never signed up for the upgrade - I wasn't sure it was worth it at the time, but they seem to have all the issues ironed out now.
The $200 upgrade ended July 31 and was for older sets.

The HLN467 and HLN567 are the newest Samsung sets and were advertised as having discrete commands (version214 or later). A few of them got out with the wrong board therefore Samsung fixes those sets and only those sets under warranty.

Board failure is your best bet at this point. Samsung will charge an arm and a leg if there isn't a warranty issue involved. You may have missed a good deal, but watch like a hawk and it might happen again.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Art,

Seeing as you actually had the same firmware as I have, did you notice any over accentuated color. If you turn color down to 0, do you still have a color picture as I do?

Rich

·
Registered
326 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by htwaits
The $200 upgrade ended July 31 and was for older sets.

The HLN467 and HLN567 are the newest Samsung sets and were advertised as having discrete commands (version214 or later). A few of them got out with the wrong board therefore Samsung fixes those sets and only those sets under warranty.

Board failure is your best bet at this point. Samsung will charge an arm and a leg if there isn't a warranty issue involved. You may have missed a good deal, but watch like a hawk and it might happen again.
Got it, thanks for the update. I've been very happy with my set, and I didn't want to risk having anything go wrong by getting the upgrade. I don't have the discreet codes, but I don't miss them either. I guess if anything goes wrong, that's my incentive to upgrade.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Quote:
Art,

Seeing as you actually had the same firmware as I have, did you notice any over accentuated color. If you turn color down to 0, do you still have a color picture as I do?

Rich
Rich,

I will test the zero-color setting tonight. I do seem to keep UM color levels lower (20-30 depending on source) than what I have seen others post, and it had to be set even lower before my limited UM tweaks. To my eye, occasional red/magenta tinge to what should be flesh-light brown is the main color excess, but it's not consistent among channels. Again, this is all via Antenna and satellite S-video, which won't be my primary inputs much longer. DVD/DVI = no problem.

Art

·
Registered
32 Posts
Rich: I also have a 467.....but maybe because I am not a color consultant like you, I have not noticed the issue that you described. HD & Prog. Scan dvd's look great on the set. Directv standard-definition is a mixed bag, particularly sports games with a lot of motion & longer distance shots.

If I were you, I would notify the reseller that you are having a color/warranty issue, and that you want your return priviledge extended through the time that it takes for a service call. If they won't work with you, then tell them you're returning it. I have NOT read anyone else in this forum specifically complaining about your situation.

Then, you can re-order a set from someone else if need be---making sure that it has the updated firmware.

I'm thinking of paying for an ISF calibration to enhance pq, especially on sd content. Has anyone had much luck in this area? Improving dvd & hd quality would be a bonus....but it's sd I'm really trying to tweak.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Art,

Thanks for doing that test. That about clinches it for me. I think that there's something wrong with this set, other than the firmware v.211. I think that I'm going to try and get them to get me a new one, mfg. after July 2003, and with fw 214. If they can't do that, I'm going to return it. Thanks again for your help.

Rich

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.