AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is actually a crosspost, so if I'm breaking the rules, please accept my apologies, but there are two audiences, I need to address...here and DVD...based on my questioning.

I am still deciding whether or not to subscribe but almost certainly will. One thing I can readily admit (and happily, I think!).

We got the new HLN467W Sammy set yesterday (the one with virtually no bezel). Using the dv-37 elite, I showed it to my wife both in 480p (using the built-in chip which was great at its time) and 480i (using the set's built-in Farjouda(sp?) chip. She NEVER can tell the difference in PQ, but it was INSTANTLY obvious...the Farjouda BLEW the dv-37's built-in progressive OUT OF THE WATER....night and day! Colors were dimmer and far less vibrant using the built-in player's chip. No contest.

Do those WS reviews cover or describe how much of a step up DVI is? If it is as big as an improvement as the Farj. vs. internal, then I'll order one today.

Ross

BTW, first impressions on the HLN467W...love it except two gripes...so far I've not found an audio out for the tv in (straight from cable)...perhaps because they did not intend it to be used that way. VCR does go into my stereo, of course.

Second, WEAK signal handling...I had to go directly from the wall to the tv, then from the tv to the VCR. The inverse was worse and using a noise filtration was worse than that. But once I found the strong catv signal, excellent...I haven't tweaked it yet and will need to do some, but it looks very good and since DVD is my primary PQ medium, I want to take advantage of that.

One more question----it has only one DVI input. So let's assume I get the Samsung (or Bravo or whatever) DVI DVD player...what happens when I get catv or dish with dvi capability? Are switchboxes or something in the works?

Thx,

Ross

·
Registered
80 Posts
WOW - I must be cheap. When you said "price is right too" I was expecting something much less. It escapes me why these switches are so expensive. For the moment I've only got DVI from my Samsung HD-931 but when I get another box with DVI output I will manually swap the cables if these prices don't come down A LOT.

Chris

·
Registered
26 Posts
my point of view was admittedly tainted by my recent search for a receiver that supported dvi. sony has one for $4500! suddenly $250 is very inexpensive! you can definitely do it for less with cable but then have to get up off the couch, spin the tv around etc...

·
Registered
80 Posts
I must be looking at the wrong item, I see a 2x1 DVI switch on their site for $450. But, $250 is a little closer to what I was hoping for originally. My hope is that by next spring when I'll probably want such a device they'll be closer to $100.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Aha! I went to the "switchers" section. Didn't even see HDTV. That's not too bad a price but I just purchased a HLN567, HD-931, an Onkyo Receiver, Speakers, and a bunch of cables in the last few weeks. I need to lay low for a while before springing any new purchases on the wife. I imagine I'll need something like this once the DirecTV HD TiVo comes out though (assuming it ever does).

·
Registered
26 Posts
congrats on the HLN567W! i'm looking at one myself. what's your experience been with dithering? i know there's going to be some, but were you or perhaps more importantly was your wife disappointed with pq on the sammy?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.