AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I just got my third 467 (first was dropped, second went out with the three blinking lights). I'm watching it now, on component input from DVD, and ... it's not very good. The dithering is driving me nuts, and there's a constant "blinking" of pixels that is driving me nuts. It's like a swarm of fruit flies are flapping around behind the screen.

I've tried numerous SM tweaks, but can't get rid of it. To me, this is so obvious that I'd think this TV is an early proto. SD TV is almost unwatchable, clay-faces, distortion, and even worse dithering.

Any thoughts? I wonder if some of it is individual, "persistance of vision," for example (I can easily see fluorescent lights blinking their 60Hz dance). But the dithering is the worst. Is there a setting I'm missing? The last set, that died, had the same problems I'm seeing. I really want to like this set. These TVs are "flying off the shelves," and I believe from that they should be great -- looked great in the store, but that was off an HD feed. I'm not delighted in owning a $3K TV that only looks good under certain circumstances.

Thanks,

Brats

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Bratwurst:

I just got the same set and I feel pretty much the same way. The set looks spectacular on HD and DVD but "noisy" on standard sources. According to one review, "fix" is DVI from Sammy HD receiver, as they felt that even non HD was better this way.

As usual, the answer is more $$$...

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by DLiquid
Bratwurst, how close are you sitting?
Quite close, actually, perhaps 8'. That'll change after today, I'm moving (as we speak) into a new house and the TV's going into a much larger room.

I was wondering whether being close like that brought out the problems. Is that what you were thinking?

Brats

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Yes, I think that up close the Samsung DLPs can look pretty ugly, even on still images. As you get further and further back, the PQ improves. Depending on your vision, you have to find the sweet spot distance at which you can't see the dithering, or it least it doesn't bother you. 8' is probably too close for you for the 46" set.

Motion dither artifacting is another issue. I find that those artifacts are visible from farther back than the normal DLP dithering, but I still think the artifacts would be far less objectionable from farther viewing distances.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.