AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally I find a "last resort" kind of forum where I have learnt a lot from various threads that I have followed. Confirmed that there is no difference between the hln5065w and the hln507w other than the colour. Got tons of other info as well, and am pretty much decided that hln5065W is what I am going to go with.

I need help with the pricing, et. all options. I notice a huge difference in prices... ranging in the lower 4000s to lower 3000s. I seek opinion of members here on the following:

1. What is a better option of selecting a store? Whether to purchase from known stores as BestBuy, Circuit City, PCRichards, etc, or from the internet companies, eg. bestbuyplasma.com or plasma.com etc.

2. Warranty means peace of mind. However, would it be wise to get a 5 year warranty on this item since it is a big investment and a newer technology? Or would a three year suffice?

3. If anyone is willing to share the info, the price that others have paid for this equipment and the location they purchased it from. I am looking for a brand new - in the box - factory sealed -- kind of info, and not on floor models, refurbished, or hlM models.

Pls. note the above info is required for the New York Metro area.

TIA.

PS: Forgot to mention that I will be using this with a DISh PVR 721, and a Panasonic SC-HT 900 Hometheatre system.

·
Registered
252 Posts
For NYers, PC Richards offers the best pricing on the Sammy's. You'll need to haggle them down from the price on the plaque.

(It also help to be in a Union or some Trade Association, they offer very nice prices to workers from large organizations).

PC Richards have just got in the RCA DLP's so check out that brand and see if that TV's even lower pricing than the Sammy's is in your ballpark.

For these TV's a 3 yr warranty is a must at the very least. As I'm sure you have read, the DLP TV's are at times a work in progress.

$3100 seems to be the average low price for many people. You can do beter than that if you belong to a Union etc...

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, much. Any indication on where to get the low price? PC Richards in NY (Tried the one Northern and Francis Lewis, and in Rego park) dont go below $3800+tax.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I shop at the PC Richards in New Hyde Park on Hillside Avenue.

The manager their is Dave. Unless you belong to a Trade Union or some other large organization (Civil Service) you probably will not get the price down to $3100.

But you can definetely do better than $3800, try a figure between 3100 and 3800 and offer to buy the warranty if you get a good low price on the Sammy.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
PC Richards will NOT let you return it if you don't like it. Be VERY sure it's what you want.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
$3599 is the best so far at PC Richards. Iam very concerned, however, about the no-refund/return policy. I note that they do have a 20 day return/refund, but not for TVs 30" or larger. That may be a big drawback. I am convinced about the model, etc, but I believe I will try to go with Sears who have it for $3599 as well.

·
Registered
16 Posts
It also took me few days to look through avsforum and visit few stores around, but you are correct. There are no hardware/software differences between to models exactp the color.

You may get different version of firmware depending on when you purchase it. My take on is to wait and let them order for you and don't get one from the stock. You may get older version of firmware.

·
Coyote Waits
27,302 Posts
I think Sears is a good idea. In our area their service contract is much cheaper than CC and they have a very generous return policy. I would get the max coverage offered.

I also like DLP-Watcher's idea about getting the latest firmware.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Neither CC or BB or PCR have any clue when I mention firmware. They probably are not sure themselves on the production dates on the units in warehouses. CC agreed to exchange if the unit is older than July of this year.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm in California. I tried to purchase a 5065 thru an internet retail outlet in NY to try and avoid sales tax (~7.5%). I waited 6 weeks and was told it would probably be another month before the set came in. Was priced at 3309$ prior to shipping....another ~270$ to San Diego.

I gave up and called TV Authority (Los Angeles...check out their internet site if out of state...prices are NOT as advertised on that site, they're lower) after reading nothing but excellent reports about their service and pricing on this forum. I ordered the 5065 thru them at ~3450 (I think). Delivery was another $150 or so. Had to pay in-state tax but still got the set for less than what the pre-tax pre-delivery price is here in town! The set was delivered to me in 8 days!! They were very easy to reach, called me to alert me when the set was shipped...all the little things handled very well. HIGHLY RECCOMENDED. Came with the newest firmware (214).

Bought the Samsung 931 DVD player thru the internet (Avalon gadgets...internet retailer). Great service, great price, delivered on time and also with the newest firmware. Also HIGHLY RECCOMENDED

Bought the DVI cable thru Pacificcable. Again, deliverd on time with an excellent price and quality. HIGHLY RECCOMENDED

Good luck. If I had to do it all over again, I'd purchase from the same people.

Ben

·
Registered
520 Posts
Can one determine the firmware by the serial number of the unit listed on the box? Or, is there at least a manufactured date on the box that would do the same thing? This wouldn't have to be too specific - just knowing that after 'x date' or higher than 'y SN' would imply the most recent firmware.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK. HLN507W is it! Will have it on Saturday. Looking forward to it. Seen several threads on the stands, but none seems to be definitive. I have a taste in delicate items, so would want info on non-wooden stands. Not too happy with the trl50 (or whatever) or the 5050 model for samsung-'original' stand.

Will appreciate if someone can direct me towards an area where they have (glass) stands for the Sammy.

Got a good deal from Circuit City on the TV.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Not to disuade you, but remember, the 5065 is the EXACT same set just with a different colored bezel (the lower face plate). It sells for $250-300 lower than the 507.

Good luck...you'll love the set!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, I believe I got a good deal on the 507 compared to 5065. The lowest I could get for the 5065 was 3599 plus tax. I got the 507 for about 3400, so not at all bad.

·
Registered
56 Posts
That terrific! Don't quite understand the pricing (those prices are usually reversed)...hope everything's on the "up and up". $3400s a great price.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
FYI-- NY residents - Circuit City in Rego Park has an HLN507W Floor Display model for sale as open box for $3299.00.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.