AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the DVE for NTSC disc last night. I think this is the correct disc to get, but maybe I am wrong. It seemed to mostly talk about CRT displays. I was totally lost. Can someone give me some advice?

Couple of issues:

1. Tint: My DVD is hooked up over DVI. You can't adjust the Tint setting, only the color. Is that a problem

2. Sharpness - I didn't notice any change in the sharpness adjustment screen. I adjusted it all the way up and all the way down. It didn't change anything. Any ideas why?

3. Pluge test - I could only see the inner and middle bars in the test. I assume my DVD cannot display the outer one? (HD-931)

4. Contrast - I didn't notice any blooming in the contrast test. But throughout the whole DVD, there are areas on the screen which should be black, but have green artifacts behind/around them. It looks very similar to the dithering in Finding Nemo around the characters. Also, the boxes on the contrast test and the bars on the pluge test were very pixelated ( meaning I could see banding or jagged areas)

I haven't tried it via component yet, but I guess I'll try that next.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom

·
Registered
97 Posts
You have the correct disc.

1. I don't know.

2. As I know it, sharpness does not do anything over DVI or component. It may do something over S-vid or composite.

3. Your DVD player does not pass pluge. Meaning its range of black stops at 7.5 IRE, or so. You just need to adjust the inner most black bars until they are just visible.

4. If you have a fixed panel RP, you will not see blooming. I have the Hit 50v500. I found the easiest way to set black and white levels was with the ramps. You want your blacks as black as they will go without making the lowest blocks blend together. You want your whites to be as white as they will go without making your uppermost white bars blend together.

Loraan has some real good info at:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=318977

Hope this helps.

Dutch

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.